LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Best pick/worst pick?

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I'm gonna go favorite and least favorite instead.

Favorite: Anthony Davis - Stud OT, i think in 2011 he will be the LT and Staley will be moved back to RT. Davis could easily be the best OT in this years draft.

Least Favorite: Blocking TE - Forgot his name, other decent players left. Someone mentioned he caught like 10 passes his entire career in college? Jesus thats lame.

I don't know why some people are down about Byham? Am I the only one who noticed the void left by not having Billy Bajama as a blocking TE last year? To me it was obvious especially in short yardage. players like that don't get the glammer stats of catching the ball, but their blocking deffenatly is valuable make no question of that.

Not everyone is a superstar but role players are important to

[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 25, 2010 at 23:25:50 ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
The thing that strikes me as funny is that last year all these guys ragging on Mays would have s**t their pants if he fell to us in the second round. The bottom line is Mays is a smart and motivated player with unbelievable athleticism. I have faith in our coaching staff that we will mold him into a good player at the very least (a guy who will cover, tackle, and fly around the field). I think he has the possibility to become a great player especially with his work ethic.

He seems like a boom or bust guy. I don't think you'd ever say, Oh Taylor Mays he is ok. I think he'll either be really good or really bad.

See, I've heard that multiple times and I disagree. The reason why I don't think he'll be a "bust" is not is insane athleticism, it's his smarts and willingness to become better. Most bust guys aren't motivated. I don't think you can undervalue his motivation. At worst, he's a bruising SS who plays better close to the line.

The story is -

Amazing athlete
Bright guy
Poor instincts

Now, the first two are self evident, but is the last one an issue at all and, if so, can he be "coached up" to learn it or can the first two attributes compensate for the lack of instincts?

That's a good point. I remain pretty optimistic that he'll improve on his weaknesses so long he remains as motivated as he sounds.

Mays' "story" seems very similar to Alex Smith.
Firt off, to answer the post question,
Best pick: Iupati
Worst pick: Player that doesn't at least make the practice squad.

Going in to the draft, you want to get good players to contribute to winning football games. The three biggest holes in our team last year:

OL, Special Teams, and short yardage situations

From that perspective: We gain two potential immediate starters at our most pressing area. After that, people are dissing the Taylor Mays pick but he will contribute immediatly on special teams and will grow into the roll we need him on defense. The same goes for Bowman, a very athletic LB. Kickoff coverage and return units take a plus. These two can really run and be tough on this end. My point, they can make impact immediatly.

4th round goes to acquiring Ginn and then we bring in return men later in the draft and one undrafted in Vann who is a NCAA phenom.

And finally we come to bringing in one of the best and biggest blocking TE's in the draft along with a bruiser for a RB.

Everyone is jumping on the CB thing, and that could have been nice but I think we have a system brewing. I think we are decent in depth and have several nickel and dime options. Lets see how the entire offseason plays out.

I think it was a very resposible draft in looking at what was a weakness, and fixing it. Looking at draft grades and individual value chart on who should have been drafted where, this draft could be looked at as a C. But looking at how the class fits into our team, for us this draft is an A. I can see all these players helping our team in some way this season.
Best pick: Navorro Bowman (kid will be a star in a few years)
Worst pick: Not grabbing a backup NT
Best - Anthony Davis .... I see this guy as a franchise LT (he'll show incredible promise in the offseason and will soon be placed on the left side), and may one day become that perennial pro bowler we've been searching for.

Worst - Taylor Mays .... I sometimes get excited about him, but at the end of the day just don't see him as an effective safety in the NFL. The guy simply doesn't have the instincts to play...
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
The thing that strikes me as funny is that last year all these guys ragging on Mays would have s**t their pants if he fell to us in the second round. The bottom line is Mays is a smart and motivated player with unbelievable athleticism. I have faith in our coaching staff that we will mold him into a good player at the very least (a guy who will cover, tackle, and fly around the field). I think he has the possibility to become a great player especially with his work ethic.

He seems like a boom or bust guy. I don't think you'd ever say, Oh Taylor Mays he is ok. I think he'll either be really good or really bad.

See, I've heard that multiple times and I disagree. The reason why I don't think he'll be a "bust" is not is insane athleticism, it's his smarts and willingness to become better. Most bust guys aren't motivated. I don't think you can undervalue his motivation. At worst, he's a bruising SS who plays better close to the line.

The story is -

Amazing athlete
Bright guy
Poor instincts

Now, the first two are self evident, but is the last one an issue at all and, if so, can he be "coached up" to learn it or can the first two attributes compensate for the lack of instincts?

That's a good point. I remain pretty optimistic that he'll improve on his weaknesses so long he remains as motivated as he sounds.

Mays' "story" seems very similar to Alex Smith.

And Vernon Davis.
Baalke says our defense is shifting towards 2 MIKE lb's and Bowman is a great fit there.
Navarro Bowman was a first round prospect as of last year.... rated pretty evenly with Aaron Maybin. He decided to stay a year and make bad off the field decisions... the only thing that makes it a questionable pick is scheme-fit, but it's hard to call it a bad pick due to the value (we even traded down in the third before taking him).
Best Pick: Anthony Dixon 6th rd.

Best value and was a 3rd rd talent that could surpass Coffee as the #1 backup to Gore

Worst Pick: Anthony Davis

Not that I dont think Davis will be good. I just think the pick should have been Earl THomas and that the Niners would VERY likely have been able to draft Davis at #17 and certainly would have been able to get Davis or Bulaga there. The Niners could have had Thomas, Davis (or Bulaga), and Ducasse with their first 3 picks which I think is MUCH better than Davis, Iupati, and Mays.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Best value and was a 3rd rd talent that could surpass Coffee as the #1 backup to Gore

Not that I dont think Davis will be good. I just think the pick should have been Earl THomas and that the Niners would VERY likely have been able to draft Davis at #17 and certainly would have been able to get Davis or Bulaga there. The Niners could have had Thomas, Davis (or Bulaga), and Ducasse with their first 3 picks which I think is MUCH better than Davis, Iupati, and Mays.

Completely agree... We also could've gone Earl Tomas, Mike Iupati, and Charles Brown. Saving ourselves a 4th round pick for a cb like Awusu-Ansah or Persih Cox in the process.

Best Pick: Kyle Williams

Worst Pick: taking the wrong Pittsburgh tight end (blocking TE's are a dime a dozen in this league and we signed Tony Curtis for this role)... Dorin Dickerson would have been an incredible receiving threat... a rich man's Delanie Walker
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

u dont know that davis would be there at 17, u always have to be aware of teams trading up, ryan matthews went 12th, brandon graham went 13th, point is teams could have been trading up to get him
i think that davis has got enough character concerns so that he wouldnt be gone by 13th ovr...and i just dont get the bowman pick yet. ilb-depth is a good think, finding tko-successor, too. no guys, i just dont get it...pass-rush, (fast) pass defense are still building sites.

[ Edited by communist on Apr 26, 2010 at 13:14:41 ]

Worst pick: Mays

I've seen people characterize Mays as a "sleeper" pick and as the next coming of Sean Taylor. Ugh. No one his size with 4.3 speed and a nationally known name thanks to USC can be considered a sleeper. The kid is a freak athletically but teams passed on him despite his combine prowess because the tape on him shows a lack of coverage skills and fundamentals.

My problem with the pick is that it shows the 49ers to be a few years behind the teams that have recognized and taken full advantage of the "new" NFL. This league is so passer/wr friendly now - more QBs passed for more than 4,000 yards in the past 3 years than passed for 4,000 yards in the 1980s. The FS/SS distinction is dying - you need both safeties to be able to play in space and cover man to man because of the prevalence of 3 and 4 wide sets. In today's game, using a guy that doesn't have coverage skills in your secondary just doesn't seem logical to me.
Originally posted by midrdan:

Worst pick: Mays

I've seen people characterize Mays as a "sleeper" pick and as the next coming of Sean Taylor. Ugh. No one his size with 4.3 speed and a nationally known name thanks to USC can be considered a sleeper. The kid is a freak athletically but teams passed on him despite his combine prowess because the tape on him shows a lack of coverage skills and fundamentals.

My problem with the pick is that it shows the 49ers to be a few years behind the teams that have recognized and taken full advantage of the "new" NFL. This league is so passer/wr friendly now - more QBs passed for more than 4,000 yards in the past 3 years than passed for 4,000 yards in the 1980s. The FS/SS distinction is dying - you need both safeties to be able to play in space and cover man to man because of the prevalence of 3 and 4 wide sets. In today's game, using a guy that doesn't have coverage skills in your secondary just doesn't seem logical to me.
we hope that mays will learn fast...
Share 49ersWebzone