LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Iupati pronunciation

Originally posted by Maui9er:
Originally posted by Mospeed:
I searched this to see if it was made and didn't find anything so sorry if this is old but I noticed everyone including Singletary pronounce Iupati as how it reads on wikipedia, 'ee-you-PAH-tee'. However on Matt Barrows' blog he states that Mike himself says the correct pronunciation is 'Yoo-POT-ee' and since he's the first one to come out and say thats the correct pronunciation I'm inclined to think everyone else has been wrong. Does anyone else have an update on this or anything?

I think E-U Paa Tea, would sound correct. Sorry, but MB needs to vacation more in Hawaii, because that sounds like a 2 year old that needs help using the bathroom...

Your user name reminds me of vacation. I love Maui.
I - You - Party...... Sounds like a pick up line!

seriously, U-pa-dee
Sing initially said eye-you-pot-ee but quickly corrected himself and said yoo-pot-ee.

So, the correct pronunciation is yoo-pot-ee.
Another one is to say "Talofa" to him if you see him...thats Samoan for "Hello"
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
i thought it was you-potty
Originally posted by Mospeed:
I searched this to see if it was made and didn't find anything so sorry if this is old but I noticed everyone including Singletary pronounce Iupati as how it reads on wikipedia, 'ee-you-PAH-tee'. However on Matt Barrows' blog he states that Mike himself says the correct pronunciation is 'Yoo-POT-ee' and since he's the first one to come out and say thats the correct pronunciation I'm inclined to think everyone else has been wrong. Does anyone else have an update on this or anything?

That is indeed how it's pronounced. I listened to the conference call and he says it himself, 'you-pot-ee." When asked the worst ways it has been pronounced he says "Lupati," or "I-you-pati."

I'll link the conference call in a minute.

*edit -

Iupati Conference Call
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone