There are 277 users in the forums

SI's 2nd Round Mock

• dj43
Originally posted by TX9R:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/04/23/mock.draft.1/index.html

49 RB Dexter McCluster Mississippi Sr. 5-9 172
First off, how cool is it the 49ers own the draft's 49th pick? Secondly, San Francisco was searching for a change of pace type runner to give teams a different look from Frank Gore. In the small but elusive McCluster, they've found one.

I'd take that all day.
While I agree a true change-of-pace back would be the next piece in the offense, I think the next greatest need (after yesterday) is a safety that can cover. So if the 49ers can grab McCluster with 49 and still come up with the safety, I'm cool with that. But if I had to make a choice, I want the safety, even if that means no change-of-pace guy.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
DB or McCluster would be a good pick
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Taylor Mays!!!!! we didnt all like him as a first, but hes avai. now
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 23, 2010 at 11:05 AM ]
I've been on the McCluster bandwagon since I saw him play in his Junior Bowl game. I would be ecstatic if we got him but I think we'll go Safety or Corner. McCluster fits the McCloughan mold, a Senior who excelled in the SEC for multiple years. We'll see what Baalke does though.
Originally posted by ramanz16:
He's my 'fun' pick, defense is a priority but if he's there and we take him I will definitely be happy with that.

That's funny, because at the end of the season, it was obvious we needed OFFENSIVE help. Somewhere from then to now, tge beat writers and other media convinced people we need defensive help instead. Have we forgotten how the offense looked?

Our defense is a good unit. The problem is, as with every unit, they get worn out by being on the field longer than they should be due to our 3-and-out offensive scheme.

Im not opposed to taking a defender, but right now we can't ignore the offense just because we addressed the line in round 1. If McCluster is the guy that will help us most, WE NEED TO TAKE HIM.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
You know...I am okay if they want to address most of the offensive needs in this draft.

We could easily resign Dre Bly/Walt Harris along with signing Akin Ayodele and Gibril Wilson to relatively small contracts to address the weaknesses on defense for a year. We can address those positions in next year's draft and free agency.

R2: Dexter McCluster - RB/WR/KR/PR - Ole Miss
R3: Al Woods - NT - LSU

Depth Chart:

QB: Smith/Carr/Davis
RB: Gore/Coffee/McCluster*
FB: Norris/Robinson
TE: Davis/Walker/Curtis

WR: Crabtree/Hill
WR: Morgan/Jones
WR: Ginn*

LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Iupati*/Baas
OC: Heitmann/Wallace
RG: Rachal/Snyder
RT: Davis*/Boone

LE: Sopoaga/Balmer
NT: Franklin/Woods*
RE: Smith/McDonald/RJF

OLB: Lawson/Brooks
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Ayodele*
OLB: Haralson/Laboy*/Briggs

CB: Clements/Brown
CB: Spencer/Bly*/Paymah*
FS: Goldson/Smith
SS: Lewis/Wilson*
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
We gotta get a corner or a pass rusher.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
He's my 'fun' pick, defense is a priority but if he's there and we take him I will definitely be happy with that.

That's funny, because at the end of the season, it was obvious we needed OFFENSIVE help. Somewhere from then to now, tge beat writers and other media convinced people we need defensive help instead. Have we forgotten how the offense looked?

Our defense is a good unit. The problem is, as with every unit, they get worn out by being on the field longer than they should be due to our 3-and-out offensive scheme.

Im not opposed to taking a defender, but right now we can't ignore the offense just because we addressed the line in round 1. If McCluster is the guy that will help us most, WE NEED TO TAKE HIM.

the defense is a good unit but its getting old. M. Lewis, Clements, Spikes all 3 are starters that we need to find replacements for
i would take either taylor mays or koa misi
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

the defense is a good unit but its getting old. M. Lewis, Clements, Spikes all 3 are starters that we need to find replacements for

That's where the trade screwed us, we could have had Spikes in the 4th. As far as safety, we've drafted quite a few, maybe Smith or Taylor is the plan?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Taylor Mays!!!!! we didnt all like him as a first, but hes avai. now

If Pete Carroll passes on Taylor Mays for Earl Thomas... id think that would be a big red flag on him
  • Roxy
  • Veteran
ARRGH I really want Sean Lee. got a feeling about that whiteboy. This years Brian Cushing. Would be stoked to have McCluster too. Wish we had more ammo. Wish we had traded down one of those OL positions, still so much talent.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Lots of good players left. Cant wait to see what we do
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

That's where the trade screwed us, we could have had Spikes in the 4th. As far as safety, we've drafted quite a few, maybe Smith or Taylor is the plan?

Taylor Mays... Ithink it be a great pick our d would be scary to play with will spikes, dashon, mays, and of coarse willis
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 23, 2010 at 11:19 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/04/23/mock.draft.1/index.html

49 RB Dexter McCluster Mississippi Sr. 5-9 172
First off, how cool is it the 49ers own the draft's 49th pick? Secondly, San Francisco was searching for a change of pace type runner to give teams a different look from Frank Gore. In the small but elusive McCluster, they've found one.

I'd take that all day.
While I agree a true change-of-pace back would be the next piece in the offense, I think the next greatest need (after yesterday) is a safety that can cover. So if the 49ers can grab McCluster with 49 and still come up with the safety, I'm cool with that. But if I had to make a choice, I want the safety, even if that means no change-of-pace guy.

Selfishly, I'd be happy with McCluster, but I agree with dj. DB is the ideal pick here...either Nate Allen, Chris Cook (CB who could play FS) or maybe even CBs like Dominique Franks/Jerome Murphy or trading down a bit to grab Perrish Cox.
Share 49ersWebzone