There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New York Jets type of draft

I have already posted this in a few responses to other posts, but what we did yesterday remindes me of what the Jets did in 06. That draft of course was the one where they took D'Brickashaw Ferguson at 4 and Nick Mangold at 29 I belive. Look what that draft has done for the Jets. They now have a line that can impose their will, the type of line that Sing wants. I'm not saying our guys are going to be that good. Not from day one anyway, but it Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati can even resemble that Alex, Frank, and we as fans could be in for a treat.

It has taken the Jets three years since taking those guys to make the playoffs. However I think we can make it this year. We have a lot more talent at reciver and running back that the Jets did when they made those choices, plus you cannot discount the effect of Rex Ryan on that team. He provides them with fire similar to that of Sing for us.

I didn't mean to go so in depth about the Jets. I just wanted to make my point about similarities and differences between them and us.
Our OL is gonna be beastly.
I agree that we needed to take two lineman to secure our OL for the next few years, but is it really a NY Jets draft?

They took Ferguson at #4 b/c they didn't have a franchise LT and picked Mangold at 29 b/c he was the #1 C in the draft. They were the fourth worst team and were rebuilding.

We, on the other hand, are on the verge of playoffs (shown in close games with Vikings, GB, Indy, Tennessee, and a sweep of Arizona) but not quite there (shown with embarrassing losses to Seattle, Houston, blowout to Atlanta, and a 4th straight year loss to the Iggles).

Our defense is sound (though I'd prefer to snag a CB and a pass rusher to fill depth), but our offense is our clear weakness. Our 1st round shows our coaching staff has faith in our team and wants to guarantee our top offense threats are secure:

- Frank Gore will get better looks on runs inside the tackle (his favorite place to run, look up the stats, his best runs are between the tackles)

-Vernon Davis will not be required to stay in and block 75% of the offensive snaps, increasing his already impressive stats

- Alex Smith will now have the devotion of confidence from his coaches and teammates he desperately needed. Also, improved run game means better PA opportunities and allows VD to be more open, who clearly is his favorite target. Doesn't hurt not having to worry about being sacked either


I like your analysis of the importance of the OL upgrade, but don't think we're drafting like the Jets, we're doing our own thing
I see where you're coming from. My buddy is a Jets fan and last night he kept saying how the 49ers are like the Jets but followed the process in reverse. Provided we address the pass rush and secondary in the coming rounds we are poised to win the division this year...there will be no stopping us.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,977
Great picks by the Niners, I don't know how many times I seen guys already in the backfield as soon as Gore got the ball, now we have 2 6ft 5 330 pound road paving linemen
.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
I agree that we needed to take two lineman to secure our OL for the next few years, but is it really a NY Jets draft?

They took Ferguson at #4 b/c they didn't have a franchise LT and picked Mangold at 29 b/c he was the #1 C in the draft. They were the fourth worst team and were rebuilding.

We, on the other hand, are on the verge of playoffs (shown in close games with Vikings, GB, Indy, Tennessee, and a sweep of Arizona) but not quite there (shown with embarrassing losses to Seattle, Houston, blowout to Atlanta, and a 4th straight year loss to the Iggles).

Our defense is sound (though I'd prefer to snag a CB and a pass rusher to fill depth), but our offense is our clear weakness. Our 1st round shows our coaching staff has faith in our team and wants to guarantee our top offense threats are secure:

- Frank Gore will get better looks on runs inside the tackle (his favorite place to run, look up the stats, his best runs are between the tackles)

-Vernon Davis will not be required to stay in and block 75% of the offensive snaps, increasing his already impressive stats

- Alex Smith will now have the devotion of confidence from his coaches and teammates he desperately needed. Also, improved run game means better PA opportunities and allows VD to be more open, who clearly is his favorite target. Doesn't hurt not having to worry about being sacked either


I like your analysis of the importance of the OL upgrade, but don't think we're drafting like the Jets, we're doing our own thing

I strictly meant it in regards to the O-line and what these picks could do for us there. Maybe I should have titled this thread something else. On a lesser scale you may also say that these picks could be similar to the Jags last year with Eugene Monroe and Ebben Britton(sp?)
We really did have an almost perfect (lost 4th pick) first round. If we can parlay it with Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett
Good point but.........................






















F* the Jets! 49ers baby!!! woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
I advocated a Jets type of strategy in round 1 and am very pleased that they followed through on it.

Now lets get some help on defense tonight.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I have already posted this in a few responses to other posts, but what we did yesterday remindes me of what the Jets did in 06. That draft of course was the one where they took D'Brickashaw Ferguson at 4 and Nick Mangold at 29 I belive. Look what that draft has done for the Jets. They now have a line that can impose their will, the type of line that Sing wants. I'm not saying our guys are going to be that good. Not from day one anyway, but it Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati can even resemble that Alex, Frank, and we as fans could be in for a treat.

It has taken the Jets three years since taking those guys to make the playoffs. However I think we can make it this year. We have a lot more talent at reciver and running back that the Jets did when they made those choices, plus you cannot discount the effect of Rex Ryan on that team. He provides them with fire similar to that of Sing for us.

I didn't mean to go so in depth about the Jets. I just wanted to make my point about similarities and differences between them and us.

Alot of those three years had to do with the HC (d***hea*) who is in Cleveland now.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I advocated a Jets type of strategy in round 1 and am very pleased that they followed through on it.

Now lets get some help on defense tonight.

I agree, now if we draft Brandon Ghee (CB) and Donald Butler (TED) this evening I will have nailed the first 4 selections..
I love what the 49ers are doing in the draft. Now we need some corner help.
I hope we look to corner and OLB in the 6 round
Exactly, we beefed up the line and we're in a good position to go after a QB in next year's draft (and put him in a position of warranted success).

Book it, we're laying the bank down for Jake Locker in 2011, cause Baalke will be beefing up on some really good FA-acquisitions next season (if there is a 2011), and we'll be ready for a deep NFC Championship run.
Davis + Iupati > Ferguson + Mangold.

Ferguson and Mangold were good prospects, but Davis and Iupati are monster prospects with higher ceilings.