There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

First Round Thoughts : Winners, Losers and the In Betweeners

• KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by fryet:
What is really shocking for Jacksonville is that the 49ers tried to trade with them too - probably offering the same deal #13 and a 4th. Did they really think the guy would not be available 3 picks later? It seems like they fixated on getting the one player or their draft was a bust, which is a lousy way to run a draft.

It seems like the 49ers had the same mindset with Davis, but for them it only cost them a 4th round pick to grab him. And considering the state of our RT position, I can't blame them. For Jacksonville, there were a ton of DE on the board at 10 and 13, so you would think there would somebody at 13 that they would like, if the unthinkable had happened.

wow, if thats true, then the jags are crazy. Can't blame the 49ers for making the trade as thats the guy they needed bad. I just would like to know why they made the trade, was someone else looking to trade up and grab Davis?

I read somewhere they were worried Dallas might, and it's possible they even feared Green Bay or Pittsburgh jumping up.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Best First Round: Seattle
Worst First Round Denver

Clearly out of their minds: Jacksonville

Gene Smith was just not thinking clearly. I would have been working feverishly to secure a deal with Philly all day Thursday afternoon since they wanted to move up so bad. Now this is a team with no 2nd rounder and still quite a few needs. Barring a miracle I think he cost Del Rio any chance at coming back and he may have put himself out of a job too. The Jags seem destined to be the AFC South cellar dwellers this year, and for a franchise who are struggling to put asses in the seats that is not good.

Best thing they actually could have done, would have been to trade this pick to Denver earlier in the offseason for Marshall.

I think Jacksonville could have really done a great job in this draft if they had played it like Bill Walsh did in 86. They could have traded down with the Niners to 13 and got a 4th rounder and then traded down again with San Diego or Dallas to get another 2 and 3. Then, their pick would have made a lot of sense at the end of rd 1. It just seems amazing to me that they couldnt pull something like that off.
Can't hate on SF for trading up. Bill Walsh would have done the same thing. they always said Bill said if there's a guy that you really like & really want then go get him. So that's what we did.,
Look for Oak to move back to a 3-4 defense
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Best First Round: Seattle
Worst First Round Denver

Clearly out of their minds: Jacksonville

Gene Smith was just not thinking clearly. I would have been working feverishly to secure a deal with Philly all day Thursday afternoon since they wanted to move up so bad. Now this is a team with no 2nd rounder and still quite a few needs. Barring a miracle I think he cost Del Rio any chance at coming back and he may have put himself out of a job too. The Jags seem destined to be the AFC South cellar dwellers this year, and for a franchise who are struggling to put asses in the seats that is not good.

Best thing they actually could have done, would have been to trade this pick to Denver earlier in the offseason for Marshall.

I think Jacksonville could have really done a great job in this draft if they had played it like Bill Walsh did in 86. They could have traded down with the Niners to 13 and got a 4th rounder and then traded down again with San Diego or Dallas to get another 2 and 3. Then, their pick would have made a lot of sense at the end of rd 1. It just seems amazing to me that they couldnt pull something like that off.

Yeah, I just read Baalke's presser where we did call them to move up, and that would have put them in line for a phone call from San Diego which would have netted them the 2nd rounder they lack. Alualu would have still been there in all likelihood and been a solid pick at that point (though I'd still take Odrick over him every day of the week).

From Peter King :

Quote:
and Cal defensive tackle Tyson Alualu with the 10th pick of the draft, to Jacksonville, when most NFL people had him with second-round value. "Stunning,'' one club official told me overnight about the Jags reaching for Alualu. "Almost fell out of my chair.''

I bet a lot of scouts and GM's did double takes upon hearing Goodell read the pick aloud.

And :

Quote:
Now for the Jags' pick. It's an interesting story. Jacksonville GM Gene Smith told me late last night that the club hid its interest in Alualu, a Samoan kid raised in Hawaii who played at Cal. When front-office people around the league would trade pre-draft information on what they were hearing, Alualu's name never leaked out of Jacksonville. I know because two scout types I talk to who know Jacksonville people well were bowled over by the pick when we spoke overnight. Alualu played every position on the defensive line at Cal; with the Jags, he'll be tried as a 3-technique disruptive presence, the same spot Detroit drafted Ndamukong Suh to fill. The draftniks on the edge of the game -- Mike Mayock, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay -- didn't have Alualu anywhere near the middle of the first round, though Mayock did have him as his 30th-rated player, even though he did not include Alualu in his first-round mock draft. Respected analyst Gil Brandt had Alualu rated in the fifties.

I don't mind a team having a strong belief in a player. But the team has to know value. The 10th pick overall was right around the spot where the trade-downs were percolating. Smith told me last night the reason he didn't trade the pick is that there was nothing that came to him remotely approximating value for the pick. "There wasn't a lot of ability to trade down,'' Smith said from Jacksonville. Understood. But I still think at that point you take anything you can get and bail out -- unless you have a legitimate fear that Alualu was going in the next few picks.

"You can call this a reach,'' Smith said, "but the more work we did on him, the more we saw an excellent player with high character and excellent competitiveness who'd played every spot on the defensive line. I watched every game he played the last two years. The more I watched, the more I became convinced this was an excellent player for what we do. He had 17 sacks, playing inside a lot, and another one in the Senior Bowl. He's a very disruptive player.''

This pick's going to be fascinating to watch. When a player doesn't show up in the mock drafts of respective analysts like Mayock, or as a first-round-graded pick by Gil Brandt, and he goes 10th overall, the cries of "reach'' are going to go up. "This is not a popularity contest,'' Smith said. "I don't give a damn about perception. I care about picking the right player for our team. My attitude is, 'You can outsmart people some of the time, but you can outwork them all of the time.' If you can't trust your ability to judge players after all the work you put in on them, you shouldn't be in this business.''
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Thanks for the analysis, Kris. Any concerns about Davis' reputation for having a questionable work ethic? I don't know anything about the guy aside from what I've read on draft sites and YouTube highlights, but I'm always concerned when a guy has that rep before he makes millions of dollars.

Honestly, no. Why ? The 49ers brought him in and checked him out and granted that Anthony Davis is young and immature, I think between Singletary and Solari they will make him work for his spot on this team. I think we also have another someone to ride his ass in now team leader Vernon Davis, who can be a strong influence on the kid.

It would also not come as a surprise to hear him be told that if he doesn't put in the hard work that he can be replaced by Iupati whom by all indications the team feels can play right tackle. But at day's end I think Davis will prove his worth and be the mauler we want at RT.

Kris, Very good post. I agree that coach sing and solari will work this kid and make him earn a starting job. Iupati could be the steal of the draft. Hes got a non stop motor and really good feet, he likes to crush people. Good draft for the 49ers, they could have a great OL for years to come. I can't wait to watch them play.

Don't forget Ray Brown, and as far as taking two lineman in round one......look what it has done for the Jets line. I like it.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Thanks for the analysis, Kris. Any concerns about Davis' reputation for having a questionable work ethic? I don't know anything about the guy aside from what I've read on draft sites and YouTube highlights, but I'm always concerned when a guy has that rep before he makes millions of dollars.

Honestly, no. Why ? The 49ers brought him in and checked him out and granted that Anthony Davis is young and immature, I think between Singletary and Solari they will make him work for his spot on this team. I think we also have another someone to ride his ass in now team leader Vernon Davis, who can be a strong influence on the kid.

It would also not come as a surprise to hear him be told that if he doesn't put in the hard work that he can be replaced by Iupati whom by all indications the team feels can play right tackle. But at day's end I think Davis will prove his worth and be the mauler we want at RT.

Kris, Very good post. I agree that coach sing and solari will work this kid and make him earn a starting job. Iupati could be the steal of the draft. Hes got a non stop motor and really good feet, he likes to crush people. Good draft for the 49ers, they could have a great OL for years to come. I can't wait to watch them play.

Don't forget Ray Brown, and as far as taking two lineman in round one......look what it has done for the Jets line. I like it.

It took a little time for Ferguson to really come around though.

Good point, especially about Vernon. Hell, Vernon was young and immature not all that long ago too, but Singletary worked wonders with him. Hopefully he does the same here.

That being said, while Vernon was kind of a jackass and very immature, I don't remember him ever being considered lazy and he was never out of shape. That's a more concerning type of immaturity, IMO.

But from watching the video on both him and Iupati, I was impressed with both guys in terms of agility. Each guy has a TON of talent, no doubt.

From what I understand, the weight issue with Davis was when he showed up as a rookie. He was 40 lbs overweight. Since then, he has taken and kept it off.

The other comments in the front page articles were encouraging, too. Essentially, the kid is a 20 year old loner who needs guidance and a support system. Bynum-esque, one might say...
LOVE
Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh and Jahvid Best is a great start, 2 great players who will start immediately an have big impacts. What they should do today: Trade up and get Charles Brown! Imagine getting a stud DT, OT and RB in one draft

Dallas - Hate to say it but Dez Bryant there is amazing value and I can see him and Miles Austin being a formidable duo.

New England - Got a good CB in McCourty and they have 3 2nd rounders and stock piled another million picks.

Buffalo - Spiller is a good pick, but I'm putting them here with the possibility they also get Clausen. Getting Spiller and Clausen would be a great draft.

49ers - OL was by far our biggest weakness. We fixed that with Davis and Iupati, not only did we draft for need but we got GREAT value.

HATE
Jacksonville - Come on

Denver - Good start with the trades, and after all that they end up with Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow??

In Between
Seattle - I think they had a nice draft, and i think they got good players but when you pick #6 and #14 i kinda expected more. They really should have gone Derrick Morgan over Earl Thomas.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
LOVE
Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh and Jahvid Best is a great start, 2 great players who will start immediately an have big impacts. What they should do today: Trade up and get Charles Brown! Imagine getting a stud DT, OT and RB in one draft

Dallas - Hate to say it but Dez Bryant there is amazing value and I can see him and Miles Austin being a formidable duo.

New England - Got a good CB in McCourty and they have 3 2nd rounders and stock piled another million picks.

Buffalo - Spiller is a good pick, but I'm putting them here with the possibility they also get Clausen. Getting Spiller and Clausen would be a great draft.

49ers - OL was by far our biggest weakness. We fixed that with Davis and Iupati, not only did we draft for need but we got GREAT value.

HATE
Jacksonville - Come on

Denver - Good start with the trades, and after all that they end up with Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow??

In Between
Seattle - I think they had a nice draft, and i think they got good players but when you pick #6 and #14 i kinda expected more. They really should have gone Derrick Morgan over Earl Thomas.

Detroit has a 3rd, 4th and some 6ths and 7ths. Would you trade a 2011 1st rounder for Charles Brown ? Because that is what it is likely going to take.

As for Seattle, that was the only nitpick if you can even call if one that could be made in there case. Some would take Morgan, others Thomas. Either way they go 2 great football players and a whole lot better with those 2 picks.
LOVE

HATE
Jacksonville - Come on

In Between

Detroit has a 3rd, 4th and some 6ths and 7ths. Would you trade a 2011 1st rounder for Charles Brown ? Because that is what it is likely going to take.

As for Seattle, that was the only nitpick if you can even call if one that could be made in there case. Some would take Morgan, others Thomas. Either way they go 2 great football players and a whole lot better with those 2 picks.

Detroit can get creative, 2nd next year and 3rd and 6th this year or something like that. Just an idea. I think getting Suh, Best and Brown would be an automatic A+ draft
Originally posted by fryet:
What is really shocking for Jacksonville is that the 49ers tried to trade with them too - probably offering the same deal #13 and a 4th. Did they really think the guy would not be available 3 picks later? It seems like they fixated on getting the one player or their draft was a bust, which is a lousy way to run a draft.

It seems like the 49ers had the same mindset with Davis, but for them it only cost them a 4th round pick to grab him. And considering the state of our RT position, I can't blame them. For Jacksonville, there were a ton of DE on the board at 10 and 13, so you would think there would somebody at 13 that they would like, if the unthinkable had happened.

wow, if thats true, then the jags are crazy. Can't blame the 49ers for making the trade as thats the guy they needed bad. I just would like to know why they made the trade, was someone else looking to trade up and grab Davis?

I read somewhere they were worried Dallas might, and it's possible they even feared Green Bay or Pittsburgh jumping up.

I think I remember Baalke referencing Green Bay last night on the 49ers.com press conference (sorry, a little foggy after a long night)
  • flow
  • Veteran
LOVE

HATE
Jacksonville - Come on

In Between
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
LOVE

HATE
Jacksonville - Come on

In Between

while alex has so much time to throw he'll just pick apart thomas and the rest of that secondary since the hawks have no pass rusher. also that whole d is gore's bi***
I love you Evil.