There are 464 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nick's 2nd Round Mock of What's Left After Day 1 (4/23) (49ers Take Mays)

Wow -- there is just a ton of talent available in the 2nd round...more than I expected. In my mock, I have the 49ers taking Taylor Mays -- and I'm fairly confident he'll be there (because there is soo much talent left for 33 - 48). Players the 49ers pass on include Koa Misi, S Chad Jones, CB Jerome Murphy, S Reshad Jones, and RB Dexter McCluster.

I think Taylor Mays will make a GREAT Strong Safety, and Singletary could turn his gifted physical abilities into something really special.

I see us going for a pass rusher like Thaddeus Gibson in the 3rd round.

1 (33) Rams - OT Charles Brown
2 (34) Vikings (From Lions) – QB Jimmy Clausen
3 (35) Buccaneers – DE Everson Griffen
4 (36) Chiefs – OT Roger Saffold
5 (37) Eagles (From Redskins) – S Nate Allen
6 (38) Browns – WR Golden Tate
7 (39) Raiders – OT Bruce Campbell
8 (40) Dolphins (From Seahawks through Chargers) – NT Terrence Cody
9 (41) Bills – QB Colt McCoy
10 (42) Buccaneers (From Bears) – CB Chris Cook
11 (43) Ravens (From Dolphins through Broncos) – TE Rob Gronkowski
12 (44) Patriots (From Jaguars) – OLB Sergio Kindle
13 (45) Broncos – NT Linval Joseph
14 (46) Giants – DT Brian Price
15 (47) Patriots (From Titans) – WR Benn
16 (48) Panthers – WR Brandon LaFell
17 (49) 49ers – SS Taylor Mays
18 (50) Chiefs (From Falcons) – DE Koa Misi
19 (51) Texans – S Chad Jones
20 (52) Steelers – CB Jerome Murphy
21 (53) Patriots – RB McCluster
22 (54) Bengals – WR Emmanuel Sanders
23 (55) Eagles – OLB Navorro Bowman
24 (56) Packers – S Morgan Burnett
25 (57) Ravens – DE Carlos Dunlap
26 (58) Cardinals – OT Vladimir Ducasse
27 (59) Cowboys – S Reshad Jones
28 (60) Seahawks (From Chargers) – DT Lamarr Houston
29 (61) Jets – OLB Ricky Sapp
30 (62) Vikings – OG Jon Asamoah
31 (63) Colts – LB Daryl Washington
32 (64) Saints - DT Cam Thomas
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 23, 2010 at 7:40 AM ]
I want Mays but i dont think he lasts until pick 49.

I think the Vikings grab him with the 2nd pick
Originally posted by valrod33:

The Vikes can get their QB of the future.

Personally, I think there is going to be a sh*tload of trades at the top of the 2nd; people have a whole day to set up trades.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
That would be the worst case scenario. I wouldn't take Mays in the 5th, esp with the talent still on the board.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Personally, I think there is going to be a sh*tload of trades at the top of the 2nd; people have a whole day to set up trades.

I read the Vikings and Rams are looking to move back.

We dont have the firepower to move up unless we cna throw in some picks from next year but i dont think that would be a good idea
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

We dont have the firepower to move up unless we cna throw in some picks from next year but i dont think that would be a good idea

If we give up our 3rd I'm sure that will get it done.
I want Kindle to fall. Don't touch Mays
Originally posted by lamontb:

Kindle falling is my dream, but I doubt it'll happen. I'm not even attempting to predict what happens tonight though, because the only predication I have that I'm confident in is that early trades are going to blow up any mocks we see today.
Originally posted by mayo63:

If we give up our 3rd I'm sure that will get it done.

no not worth it

then you give up another need

if teams are dumb enough to let Mays slip then sure

I'm sure he will be gone

If Allen in there take him and find a pass rusher in the 3rd

If Allen is gone take Misi and find a S in the 3rd

championship
  • Indy49er1980
  • Info N/A
Last year I wanted the niners to draft dline so the secondary had some help. They can't be asked to cover wideouts like fitz for longer than 15 sec. We didn't draft that position and our dline and linebackers had the best year they have had in a long time. So this year because of the losses of Walt and Dre it is time to improve the secondary. Everyone remembers the Favre prayer right? That is why we need secondary. There is no reason that should of ever happened. Everyone seems to be a Talyor Mays Hater. My question is why? He was a premier talent in college and he dominated the combine. He is a physical freak just like Vernon was coming out of college. He is a huge guy. He is cocky and confident. It's like drafting a faster TO to play safety. He may not live up to the hype but I think we can't take the chance and pass up on the guy. The opportunity to have a dominant safety like Lott after some many years is in our grasp. I also would love to see Kindle in a niner uniform. If we trade away some picks to get these 2 guys I would be the happiest niner fan alive. With the 2 ol and these 2 defensive players there is no doubt we will win the division.
I don't want mays (aka Roy Williams part deux) on the team. He is way too much of a liability in coverage. We need someone more natural at the position than Mays.
Originally posted by ramanz16:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Kindle falling is my dream, but I doubt it'll happen. I'm not even attempting to predict what happens tonight though, because the only predication I have that I'm confident in is that early trades are going to blow up any mocks we see today.

Kindle would be the best pick we could make, but there are a lot of teams ahead of us targeting that position.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
I don't want mays (aka Roy Williams part deux) on the team. He is way too much of a liability in coverage. We need someone more natural at the position than Mays.

Mays has way more speed than Roy Williams. Mays can be taught to cover.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I would cream my pants if we got Kindle.
Originally posted by Indy49er1980:
Last year I wanted the niners to draft dline so the secondary had some help. They can't be asked to cover wideouts like fitz for longer than 15 sec. We didn't draft that position and our dline and linebackers had the best year they have had in a long time. So this year because of the losses of Walt and Dre it is time to improve the secondary. Everyone remembers the Favre prayer right? That is why we need secondary. There is no reason that should of ever happened. Everyone seems to be a Talyor Mays Hater. My question is why? He was a premier talent in college and he dominated the combine. He is a physical freak just like Vernon was coming out of college. He is a huge guy. He is cocky and confident. It's like drafting a faster TO to play safety. He may not live up to the hype but I think we can't take the chance and pass up on the guy. The opportunity to have a dominant safety like Lott after some many years is in our grasp. I also would love to see Kindle in a niner uniform. If we trade away some picks to get these 2 guys I would be the happiest niner fan alive. With the 2 ol and these 2 defensive players there is no doubt we will win the division.

Definitely worth the risk. Sing is enamored with him too...