LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Why's everyone so hot on grabbing a CB?

We need to get young at CB. At least with S, we have 3 players at 25 and under in Goldson, Reggie and Curtis Taylor.

Only Tarell Brown is the only young CB. Plus, Karl Paymah and Keith Smith should never be counted on.
Notice how great defensive teams (or at least great defensive teams of the past) like always are drafting defensive backs? The Jets drafted another defensive back with the potential to be another #1 corner in the draft. EVERY YEAR New England drafts a bunch of defensive backs.

Not only do we not have strong depth with only Clements who can't cover an elite reciever anymore, Spencer who was good last year but is injury prone and hasn't proven he can be consistently good season to season, Brown who looks like nothing more than a nickel corenrback and probably a dime quarterback on a playoff team, Lewis who gets a bunch of concussions and can't cover anything.

Were were 21st against the pass last year. If we want to be more than a middle of the pack D we need to fix that. With the lack of depth and shaky play of our current defensive backs, corner or safety is probably the #1 priority right now.
The secondary was torched last year on several deep plays. They definitely need to add some depth/talent back there.

In addition, adding a CB with return ability would help the return game. I know Ginn will handle the kick off returns, but it would be good to add a couple more options. If they can add a CB with return skills, that just helps strengthen a major area of need from last year.

Grab Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (Indiana-P.A.)
I like our secondary just fine, but there is no such thing as having too many good DBs.

See, e.g., Jets of New York.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:46 AM ]
come on man
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chico:
i thought or DBs/Safety's played pretty good! They picked off Jay Cutler 5 times and Kurt Warner 4-5 times....our D-line had 44-45 sacks which helps the corners. Nate and Spencer are still young and solid. T Brown has speed and potential Goldson is a stud...i can see us getting a Safety like Taylor Mays but i don't think we need a CB. If anything, i think we need a speedy RB to compliment Gore.

thoughts?

They match up well with Phoenix because they're strong but not particularly fast. They've struggled, however, against teams with speed (think Roddy White, for example).

Add in the fact that Clements, Bly and Harris aren't getting any younger, and the latter two aren't even under contract, and you should see, there is a need.

Spencer was pretty good last year. But Tarell Brown was given the opportunity to take the other starting spot, and he couldn't hold on to it. Behind hose two, who do we have that's got a future beyond one, maybe two years? Paymah? Picked up to be the Donold Strickland on this team. But to develop into a number one? Nobody!

Safety is less of an issue. Goldson looks like an up-and-coming player. And though Michael lewis' concussions are an issue, we have two back-ups in Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor whose ceilings haven't been explored yet.

If we don't get a corner in round two, the likelihood we'll get a difference-maker goes way down. At safety, however, we can probably get someone in the 6th or even 7th who could develop. Unfortunately that will put us in the same boat we're in now with Smith and Taylor, except that those two are further along.

I say go CB in the 2nd and ILB in the third. Then get developmental OLB/DEs or other DLs or returner types in the last two rounds.
Originally posted by bret:
Originally posted by Chico:
i thought or DBs/Safety's played pretty good! They picked off Jay Cutler 5 times and Kurt Warner 4-5 times....our D-line had 44-45 sacks which helps the corners. Nate and Spencer are still young and solid. T Brown has speed and potential Goldson is a stud...i can see us getting a Safety like Taylor Mays but i don't think we need a CB. If anything, i think we need a speedy RB to compliment Gore.

thoughts?

They match up well with Phoenix because they're strong but not particularly fast. They've struggled, however, against teams with speed (think Roddy White, for example).

Add in the fact that Clements, Bly and Harris aren't getting any younger, and the latter two aren't even under contract, and you should see, there is a need.

Spencer was pretty good last year. But Tarell Brown was given the opportunity to take the other starting spot, and he couldn't hold on to it. Behind hose two, who do we have that's got a future beyond one, maybe two years? Paymah? Picked up to be the Donold Strickland on this team. But to develop into a number one? Nobody!

Safety is less of an issue. Goldson looks like an up-and-coming player. And though Michael lewis' concussions are an issue, we have two back-ups in Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor whose ceilings haven't been explored yet.

If we don't get a corner in round two, the likelihood we'll get a difference-maker goes way down. At safety, however, we can probably get someone in the 6th or even 7th who could develop. Unfortunately that will put us in the same boat we're in now with Smith and Taylor, except that those two are further along.

I say go CB in the 2nd and ILB in the third. Then get developmental OLB/DEs or other DLs or returner types in the last two rounds.

+1 I totally agree with this post. The only thing that I would change is that I'd like to nab one of the NT prospects in the 3rd. I'd love to get Torrell Troup for NT depth.
Share 49ersWebzone