There are 221 users in the forums

Clausen

• wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
I don't understand why people don't like him. He's PRO READY! He's not going to take as long as Smith to "get it." He already understands it playing under Weis.

WE HAVE TO GET HIM HERE. A POTENTIAL FRANCHISE QB IN THE 2ND ROUND?! HOW MANY CAN YOU THINK OF?! OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, 1! BREES!

We need to trade up in the 2nd and get him. The defensive back can wait. The value that Clausen brings to the team outweighs the value of a rookie DB that probably won't even start this year.

Think about it, none of the QBs on the current roster scream "Franchise QB." Smith has this year, then he's a FA. Carr, well, need I say more? And Nate Davis, granted I like him, won't be ready for a while.

SO, IMO it would be most advantageous to take the 2nd highest rated QB in the DRAFT in the 2nd round. His contract wont be that heavy, he can sit the year to learn. If Smith struggles while we're still in the playoff hunt, we can put Clausen in. He'll have a running game, a good OL thanks to the first round, good receivers (Crab/Vernon/Morgan/Ginn) and a solid D to bail him out at times. That spells success for any ROOKIE QB.

If we pass on him in the 2nd, it might bite us in the ass down the road. I see him as Aaron Rodgers 2.0. The dude wants to prove everyone wrong right now. He's got a huge chip on his shoulder. TAKE HIM.
pipe down
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
We only have pick 49 in round2 right?......We need help in the secondary.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by ramanz16:
No more Clausen talk, we maxed that out yesterday and if nobody wanted him yesterday that should give a fair clue that we shouldn't reach for him today.

I would be willing to bet that even Colt McCoy is more highly rated now than Smith was coming out of college. If we can't get Claussen, I'd like to see us come out of the 2nd round with McCoy. We have no insurance strategy at what is now our weakest position (QB).

Which do you see as the greater TEAM need in the second round; QB or safety with cover skills?
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Nes49:

Secondary can wait, Clausen would solve the most important question on our team for the past decade.
Originally posted by wshaheen321:

Secondary can wait, Clausen would solve the most important question on our team for the past decade.

Clausen is not the answer, He got passed up for Tim f**king Tebow. Teams that need a Qb passed on this chump
Originally posted by valrod33:

Clausen is not the answer, He got passed up for Tim f**king Tebow. Teams that need a Qb passed on this chump

well put. If he got passed up for Tebow, he must suck.
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Just like all those teams that passed up Dan Marino, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

There's a reason why teams consistently passed up the opportunity to select and move up to trade for him.

I think the Vikings pulled a brilliant move with the trade down. They get another day to debate about selecting Clausen, and analyze trade opportunities if others want to select Clausen.

Just because Clausen has experience in a pro offense doesn't mean he's better than others. Bradford was the first pick, and he came from a spread offense.

Teams must have not liked his conduct or style during personal interviews. For some reason, he just gives me a Brady Quinn vibe. Someone who only wants to get to the NFL and not someone who really wants to succeed.
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GEEK:

There's a reason why teams consistently passed up the opportunity to select and move up to trade for him.

I think the Vikings pulled a brilliant move with the trade down. They get another day to debate about selecting Clausen, and analyze trade opportunities if others want to select Clausen.

Just because Clausen has experience in a pro offense doesn't mean he's better than others. Bradford was the first pick, and he came from a spread offense.

Teams must have not liked his conduct or style during personal interviews. For some reason, he just gives me a Brady Quinn vibe. Someone who only wants to get to the NFL and not someone who really wants to succeed.

So if Smith prevents us from the playoffs this year where there should be no excuse why we shouldn't make it, you'll be okay with going into 2011 with a rookie QB? Cause if he fails, we're drafting one next year. At least by then, Clausen would have a year under his belt and he's already more pro ready than any QB in the draft. Personality issues you say? WHO IS OUR HEAD COACH!? He'll be put in his place if he does something stupid.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to CLAUSEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if Smith prevents us from the playoffs this year where there should be no excuse why we shouldn't make it, you'll be okay with going into 2011 with a rookie QB? Cause if he fails, we're drafting one next year. At least by then, Clausen would have a year under his belt and he's already more pro ready than any QB in the draft. Personality issues you say? WHO IS OUR HEAD COACH!? He'll be put in his place if he does something stupid.

in 2011 we would have david Carr and nate davis with the rookie qb sitting out a year and learning
Originally posted by RonMexico:
pipe down

in 2011 we would have david Carr and nate davis with the rookie qb sitting out a year and learning

Well that situation doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the QB position either.
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:

Well that situation doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the QB position either.

I was about to say....and you're okay with that?! 2011 is basically a tanked year then. Even if smith succeeds, we'd have two good QBs in the stable. How many teams can say that? It's a QB driven league, and Clausen is probably more of a franchise qb than Smith. Clausen's production in a pro system is unquestionable. He doesn't choke under pressure either. WHY NOT?! And don't just say "he doesn't look the part." Give me some clear cut reasons why and I will think about them and debate with you.
Share 49ersWebzone