LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 366 users in the forums

I wanted a 1st round like Seattle's (S and OL)

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by wrongway9erfan:
Only on the niners webzone will you find incredible whiners. You're kidding right about not liking the 1st round picks. We got 2 out of the 4 BEST OL in the freaking draft-a deep one at that-and you want to be like Seattle?? Give a break--listen to what Lombardi said about our 2 picks--we may have the best OL in NFL in a year or two with the maulers we got today. We don't need as much help in our secondary as we do on the OL. Baalke did 2 things today: got BPA combined with greatest need. This my friend is an A draft--bank on it.

did you say in a year or two? My friend Earl Thomas would have helped us win games now. And we need to start doing that before Willis, Davis go to other teams, and Gore gets to old to run anymore.

Bro, we just picked up 2 day one starters. Both are immediate upgrades at their respective positions. Both have top tier NFL potential. And both will make Frank and Alex better. Baalke and Sing kicked @ss on day one. On the real.
I wish we could have got a nice O-lineman and I was really wanting Earl Thomas. I thought when we traded up to 11 that we were going for Thomas. I hope he doesn't burn us too many times in his career in the NFC West. Singletary told us in Santa Clara tonight, he got the two guys he wanted, so he has to own our two picks.

But I thought safety and offensive line were our biggest needs going into this draft. D. Goldson had a solid year. But his play was what was expected from any safety. To me he didn't stand out across the league, play at a Pro Bowl level, or show flashes of greatness. After stepping in for Roman, he provided an upgrade, but I would have liked him to move to SS and Thomas to step in at FS. Who will be at SS now, Michael Lewis? Reggie Smith? Curtus Taylor? We could of instantly upgraded to Goldson and Thomas and removed some question marks.

I will be very upset if the Seahawks also sign Chester Pitts, because there is no need to go after him after our top 20 picks.

Thomas and iupati/bulaga would have been what I wanted. That meant we would have got a OT/OG and S, just like they did.

Duh they had high picks, but we would have come out with the same positions address, and our biggest needs addressed with top talents.

I know how you feel bro, I was hoping for the same thing but I think the safety position is very deep as far as what we need. Hopefully we got there with our next pick. With the size of the WR's in our division I don;t know if Thomas is going to be a good fit. But Im happy we finally addressed the O-line problem we have had for years.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
earl thomas, have fun with Vernon Davis

And when you're not chasing down Vernon, have fun getting trucked by Gore who now has a line blocking for him.

Good picks for Seattle, but I believe we kept pace with them yesterday.
I wish we could have got a nice O-lineman and I was really wanting Earl Thomas. I thought when we traded up to 11 that we were going for Thomas. I hope he doesn't burn us too many times in his career in the NFC West. Singletary told us in Santa Clara tonight, he got the two guys he wanted, so he has to own our two picks.

But I thought safety and offensive line were our biggest needs going into this draft. D. Goldson had a solid year. But his play was what was expected from any safety. To me he didn't stand out across the league, play at a Pro Bowl level, or show flashes of greatness. After stepping in for Roman, he provided an upgrade, but I would have liked him to move to SS and Thomas to step in at FS. Who will be at SS now, Michael Lewis? Reggie Smith? Curtus Taylor? We could of instantly upgraded to Goldson and Thomas and removed some question marks.

I will be very upset if the Seahawks also sign Chester Pitts, because there is no need to go after him after our top 20 picks.

Thomas and iupati/bulaga would have been what I wanted. That meant we would have got a OT/OG and S, just like they did.

Duh they had high picks, but we would have come out with the same positions address, and our biggest needs addressed with top talents.

I am 100% against your thought process. I am stoked with our 2 #1 picks. Our OL has been horrible the past 3 years. The draft could not have turned out any better. This line is going to dominate.

In regards to you crying for Earl Thomas. Screw him. We don't need him. Goldson put up Pro Bowl FS numbers last year. Better #'s then Rolle. Only reason he was not in the Pro Bowl was because of name recognition. He is our starting FS and he will be for a long time. Drafting Thomas makes no sense when you already have a FS on the team BETTER then him.

As for SS. Our future is with Reggie Smith. I have high hopes for him. He is Lewis with speed, leadership, knack for the ball, big hitter and youth. He has everything you look for in a SS for our 3-4 defense.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think you've lost sight of the fact that the BIGGEST weakness BAR NONE on this team for the past few years has been the O-Line. Simply put, it all starts there. I agree that Earl Thomas would've been a nice pick but we had far more pressing needs along the line.

And to pick up two HUGE 6'5, 330 (ish) pounders with pro bowl potential was a great move for use. Plus, we still have a decent shot at a good safety in the 2nd.

I applaud our front office for going against the flashy pick and getting us what we needed. Playoffs in 2010 baby!
They've definitely had the best draft so far - and they did it by just sitting back and taking BPA
Originally posted by cwilson830:
They've definitely had the best draft so far - and they did it by just sitting back and taking BPA

Well, they didn't just sit back. They traded up to get their guy at #11...........
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:

I have to respectfully disagree. I think you've lost sight of the fact that the BIGGEST weakness BAR NONE on this team for the past few years has been the O-Line. Simply put, it all starts there. I agree that Earl Thomas would've been a nice pick but we had far more pressing needs along the line.

And to pick up two HUGE 6'5, 330 (ish) pounders with pro bowl potential was a great move for use. Plus, we still have a decent shot at a good safety in the 2nd.

I applaud our front office for going against the flashy pick and getting us what we needed. Playoffs in 2010 baby!

Totally agree. The OL was by far our biggest issue. This was great for the 49ers. Seattle had a nice draft too, but OL was much more important than Safety IMO.

IF we can land Taylor Mays, Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett. I will be very happy. I think Mays will be gone, and would LOVE Nate Allen (Move Goldson to SS) but I think any one of those would help solidify our secondary and think any one of them could definitely be starters at some point this season. I'm curious to see if Nate Clements might be able to transistion to FS if we added a CB (see: Woodson, Rod) like Chris Cook, Jerome Murphy or Dominique Franks. Cook and Murphy are more physical than cover guys... and I think Franks could be a stud in time.

I wouldn't want anyone elses first round... the 9ers was perfect (for the 9ers)
Originally posted by baltien:

and the second biggest need that last few years has been safety. For years people couldn't understand why the coaches kept Roman on the field. Like I said before Goldson was an upgrade.

But if we picked Thomas we would of had our starting safeties for the next 10 years, now we have our starting o-line. Which could become a good think if the Yorks decide to pay these guys instead of letting them go and drafting a cheaper replacement for them like they have done at the position before.

I know that Davis and Iupati will work out, I'm just saying its hard to see the front office only focus on one position instead of letting the draft come to them and filling their top needs.

Its going to take me a while to feel good about giving up a 4th for Davis. But hopefully he makes me feel better about that sooner than later.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
Taylor Mays is still out there

Oakland

they might go dunlap

dang that they skilled play makers at every position of need for them.

And traded for a one two punch they needed at RB.

I don't know if we can say the West is ours for the taking anymore....
yea seattle had a great draft
i dont care about their RBs...the only RB we couldnt really stopped last year is cris johnson. who is lendale white? who is leon washington without the jets o-line? we will see...
dang that they skilled play makers at every position of need for them.

And traded for a one two punch they needed at RB.

I don't know if we can say the West is ours for the taking anymore....

Yes, Seattle did very well this weekend. But so did the Niners. One thing they didn't do was improve the interior of their defense. Remember, this is the team that the Niners have steamrolled twice in the recent past for over 200 yds rushing. The Niners have pretty much made it clear that they want to be a physical, run first team that is going to hammer you for four quarters on both sides of the ball. The West is still ours for the taking.......it will just be a little more interesting.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Seattle did a great job with the draft.

Trading picks and or players and getting value with basically every pick.

I'll be watching Petey do big things as he transitions over back to the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone