There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Breakdown-Thoughts on Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati as 49er first rd picks

Here are some of the things that will make this a successful first round (or not):

• Like a bunch of people have said, coaching Iupati and Davis for technique and to correct what flaws they have;
  • Figuring out by the season opener whether Davis is ready to start (and where), or if it should be Simms and Staley (Snyder is not likely to be a factor);
  • Heitmann learning to call the right blocking scheme at the LOS. I think a lot of the badly executed plays last year were on account of confusion and wrong assignments.

I can even see Solari trying out a Staley-Iupati-Baas-Rachal-Davis line in TC and preseason. If Baas can call the assignments and block effectively from center, that's one HUGE and formidable line.

In terms of the rest of the roster, I don't see much opportunity for Snyder, Wallace, and maybe Wragge, but we'll find out during TC, PS, and cuts.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:53 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I hope we keep Baas to eventully replace Hietman at center. Just looking ahead.
Staley
Iupati
Heitmann
Rachal
Davis

[b]________

Sims
Snyder
Baas

I like Wragge and thought he did a good job when his number was called, Cody Wallace may be looking for a new team unless he has a strong training camp
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Staley
Iupati
Heitmann
Rachal
Davis

[b]________

Sims
Snyder
Baas

why Snyder he sucks

we will have:

OT Barry Sims
OT Alex Boone
OG Tony Wragge
C David Baas
OG Rookie or Free agent vet

I like Wragge and thought he did a good job when his number was called, Cody Wallace may be looking for a new team unless he has a strong training camp
Staley
Iupati
Heitmann
Rachal
Davis

________

Sims
Snyder
Baas

Wow, I completely forgot about him!
[ Edited by KezarLivin on Apr 23, 2010 at 6:38 AM ]
  • fruit9
  • Info N/A
Moving to take davis makes little sense because he was slipping because of being immature, which means he could have fallen to 13. I did want davis but not a trade up to get him. Iupati will be a bust unless he works his tail off and it will take more than 1 yr. The niners talk balance but if u want to help alex lets finish up grading a Def that ranked 6th in total D the last half of last yr. Take Kindle, Kyle Wilson or Dan Williams. Kindle could be insurance on Manny. Wilson would be a aggressive CB that could push Clement and T. Brown. Dan Williams could help in contract talks with Franklin as a possible replacement. To run a 3-4 u have to have that nose who can free up Willis to be the stud he is, just ask him how important NT is. The niners to trade back in RD 2 to aquire pks that we traded away on Ginn and Davis. It is a deep draft and the late great Bill Walsh would have done the same thing. Go Niners NFC WEST CHAMPS 2010
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
I love the picks but what about our original problem, the right side of our line? Let's say these guys are legit. That still doesn't make Iupati better than 2006 Larry Allen and it doesn't make Davis better than 2006 Mr. Glass. We all know Staley didn't play too well as RT but that was his rookie year and we have NO idea how Davis would fare at RT.

From what I remember, Staley played quite well as a RT - better than he has as a LT.
There was no way Singletary wasn't going to get HIS OT this year...so I'm cool with trading up a little to make sure he got him. Iupati was just icing on the cake...for me, it needed to be either him or Pouncey, who was the very next pick by the Steelers. This was absolutely the right way to go...OL was by far the biggest need, and when you can meet that with two of the best at their position, you go for it, and my hat's off to Baalke and Singletary for doing just that.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Staley
Iupati
Heitmann
Rachal
Davis

________

Sims
Snyder
Baas

Wow, I completely forgot about him!

What a waste of a pick.

Has he ever even suited up for a game?
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Here are some of the things that will make this a successful first round (or not):

• Like a bunch of people have said, coaching Iupati and Davis for technique and to correct what flaws they have;
  • Figuring out by the season opener whether Davis is ready to start (and where), or if it should be Simms and Staley (Snyder is not likely to be a factor);
  • Heitmann learning to call the right blocking scheme at the LOS. I think a lot of the badly executed plays last year were on account of confusion and wrong assignments.

I can even see Solari trying out a Staley-Iupati-Baas-Rachal-Davis line in TC and preseason. If Baas can call the assignments and block effectively from center, that's one HUGE and formidable line.

In terms of the rest of the roster, I don't see much opportunity for Snyder, Wallace, and maybe Wragge, but we'll find out during TC, PS, and cuts.

How about a Staley-Iupati-Baas-Davis-Boone line for size and strength? Backups: Sims, Heitmann, Rachal & Wallace/Wragge?

I agree about Snyder. Adios. Time to move on. IMHO.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
I like the Davis pick....I think Iupati is way overrated and will turn out to be a bust....should of taken Kyle Wilson instead. We have no speed in the secondary...hopefully that will change today.

Hmmm... And yet the scouts who do this for a living say that he's the closest thing to a probowl guard coming out of college. Who should we believe in?
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Now we are going to hit people in the mouth!

While both of these guys are powerful, the thing that stands out to me is that they are both also very agile. Both of them move their feet very well, something that Baas and Wragge, in particular, lack. This will allow more wide running plays as well as better use of trap blocking technique. And of course it will make them much better pass protectors which means a more balanced offense and better use of VD, Crabtree and the other receivers.

I have said for years that a major problem with the OL was the lack of a quality position coach. That problem has now been solved with Solari and Brown. The combination of these things is what gives me more optimism for 2010.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by dj43:
3 observations:

1. Davis starts at RT from the beginning of TC. The 49ers did not move up just to have a guy who could COMPETE with Adam Snyder at RT. They moved up to have a guy who would START at RT.

2. Iupati has some pass blocking refinements to make, but Baas was not a very polished pass blocker last year either. Iupati starts at LG because he has the quickness and agility that Baas does not have and will never have.

3. Alex Smith is the quarterback that Mike Singletary and Trent Baalke BELIEVE will get them into the playoffs!!! This is a SERIOUS compliment to Alex Smith.

OVERALL: The 49ers believe that the OL was the last remaining piece of a playoff caliber offense, and they have solved that problem in a decisive fashion. And they did it with by getting a combination of value and need.

GRADE: A+

Agreed!

Thank you...and I don't give an A+ lightly. The only way this first day would have been better was if Trent Williams would have somehow slipped down to 11. Anthony D was the second best OT on the board in terms of now PLUS upside. So they solved the #1 need on the OL (RT) with Davis, and put a replacement in the works for Baas who had a journeyman year last year (his best year to date) while affirming his lack of quickness and agility, hence, the #2 need.

Rachal will develop with Brown's help. Heitmann still has 2 or 3 solid years and will be the solid vet to direct Iupati and Rachal in games.
I am extremely excited with the early part of this draft. My dream scenario was Williams/Iupati....when Williams went 4th i was like and was sure there was going to be a run on OT's but Davis kept falling.

If no other prospects pan out other than these 2, this draft is a success. If we get contributions from either our 2nd or 3rd rounder this season, this draft is a smashing success.
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I like our first round draft picks. I was a little suprised and still a little confused on why we moved up a slot ahead of Miami who had/has no interest in taking an OT and giving up a 4th rd pick to do so, but I think Baalke and company had some info that another team was looking to move up for Anthony Davis and obviously Denver was looking to move down. I hate to lose a 4th rd pick but if the 49ers think Anthony Davis can be as good as some do and they think he is their future starting LT, the move was well worth it. At 17, I was hoping we could move down and get a 3rd rd pick or I was hoping we would take Kyle Wilson, Maurkice Pouncey or Mike Iupati. Obviously we took Iupati who the Steelers were going to take at 18. So basically we just added some serious talent and 660pds to our offensive and I think our left side is set for the next 6-10 years. We know offensive line has been a weakness on this team for a while now and we needed to fix it and getting Mike Solari as O-Line coach and Ray Brown was a nice start and now we got some real talent on the offensive line. I think Staley will eventually move back to RT and Iupati will replace Baas at LG, giving us a big, talented left side with Davis and Iupati. My only question is how much will Davis and Iupati help us as rookies? Does Davis start of at RT? Are they going to have Iupati compete with Baas for the starting LG job? I think we will get some answers later tonight, tomorrow and after the draft. Okay, let's break down our two first round picks...

Anthony Davis: A BIG TIME Talent! I said it before, Anthony Davis is the most talented offensive tackle in a very talented offensive tackle class. He was the top rated offensive lineman coming out of High School and was recruited by everyone, USC, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, they all wanted him very badly but he was the first big time recruit coming out of New Jersey who stayed in state and signed with Rutgers. Came in as an 18 year old true freshman and started the last 8 games at right guard. Started 12 games at left tackle as a true sophomore in 2008 and another 12 at LT in 2009. Now he did report overweight every season at Rutgers starting with his freshmen season and was suspended for a game last year for being late to a team meeting. He was also overweight for the combine, so yes he has some flaws but he is only 20yrs old and he really does not have many weaknesses in his game. Go watch the game vs Pitt this past year; He dominated Pittsburgh DE Greg Romeus who is projected as a top 5 pick for the 2011 draft. He handled both George Selvie and Jason Pierre-Paul when USF played Rutgers. This kid when he is focused, he is a big time player. He was projected as a top 2-4 pick next year had he came back for his Senior season at Rutgers. At 6'5" 323pds he is obviously a big kid but he also has a wide frame with long arms. He can just slide and mirror defensive ends. He has good feet, esspecially for someone his size. I trust Singletary will keep this kid motivated and in shape and with Solari coaching him up along with Ray Brown, I think he is in good hands in San Francisco. I think he can come right in and compete for starting RT job and in 2011 and beyond I think he will be a big time NFL offensive tackle.

Mike Iupati: A big, nasty, physical 6'5" 332pd Samoan who helped make Idaho a relevant football program for the first time in a long time. Still a little raw as I believe he did not start playing football until the 8th grade. Started 33 games the last three seasons at Idaho and was team captain the last season. Can be flat out dominating in the running game. He just bowls over defenders with his size, power and massive hands. Could use work in pass protection and tends to do a lot of holding and his footwork can be sloppy but all that is coachable. He struggled in the Senior Bowl game but in the practices he was really solid, at times dominating. Really got the better of Penn State DT Jared Odrick in one on one drills. Still learning to play football and has a huge upside. I do think he can be a factor as a run blocker as a rookie and eventually turning into a very good all-around guard. The type of player you can run behind when you need a yard, someone we don't have.

I feel a lot better about our offensive line with Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati as 49ers. Potentially our left side could be as good as any in the NFL. The only question is where and how much will they play as rookies?

Iupati reminds me of a young Jesse Sapolu. If he plays that well we have a real gem? And Davis reminds me of Steve Wallace. If he mirrors him we are set for the next 10 years? We will see, that's why the Draft is a crap shoot! Hang on because we are in for a wild ride. The next two days should be very interesting?

Jesse Sapolu??? Why because he is Samoan? Sapolu was 280 lbs and Iupati is 335. The is nothing similar between the 2 physically. He reminds me of a more athletic Kevin Gogan.

No, because of his nasty streak. I knew Jesse and met him several times during the season as I worked in TV News and worked with Radnich for over 15 years! Jesse was a regular on his show and he and his family showed up regularily. Players today on the OL are basically bigger than back then but a nasty streak can't be taught. You either have a killer instinct or you don't. And both picks have that nastiness about them. Physically you are correct Jesse and Steve where not as big as these two bad boys, but they would tear your head off and have the rings to prove it. All I'm saying is that they remind me of them and a couple of people with NFL connections that I was with tonight watching the draft agreed with me! That's my take on it, if you don't agree that's fine! You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

It's cool that you've met him several times. So, if you say they Sapolu and Iupati are similar, then that's all I need to hear.