LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Breakdown-Thoughts on Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati as 49er first rd picks

• Walsh
  • Veteran
I just like that there's like 3 huge paragraphs of text of thoughtful analysis and then the vet with like 13000 posts just puts of a pic of a masturbatory bear.

How awesome is that?!
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Do you guys remember all of those failed 3rd-and-1's? Those are converted 1st downs now when we run behind Iupati!!!

The offense will hold the ball longer, which will make our defense play less minutes, which will make them fresher and sharper, and will therefore make them a top 10 defense.

The best defense is a good offense.

Frank Gore is happy right now.

-9fA
Wow, what a first round for the 49ers! I'm exhausted so sorry in advance for the rambling.

First thing that jumped out to me was the cojones that Baalke put on display. Moving up to make sure you get your man, then coming back and getting a LG with #17 was good to see. Immediate production with potential to be perennial All-Pros, can't really beat that value in the middle of the 1st.

It eliminates the Alexcuses. It's now or never. #10 on a WR. #6 on a TE. Pro-Bowl RB. #11,#17,#28,#39 OL. They built around him and now it's time for him to reward them with a deep playoff run.

The team has set itself up nicely for next year in the event that Smith can't get it done also. They have two young QBs behind him and cap space to get a QB next year if necessary. I imagine it'd be pretty easy to convince a QB to come play behind this O-line and throw to VD and Crabs.

In one round of the Draft we have gone from one of the worst O-lines in the league to possibly one of the best. That's incredibly exciting for a run-first team. All of a sudden Jimmy Raye's playbook is playing to our strengths in a weird, twisted way.

I guess Baas/Rachal/Snyder/Boone didn't impress enough at OTAs, the 49ers couldn't get their picks in fast enough. Good, smart decision making coming out of Santa Clara and I'm impressed so far. We'll see what happens tomorrow though.

Another thing that jumped out at me was the similarities Baalke has to McC. I think their philosophies are obviously extremely similar but Baalke seems more willing to take chances to make sure he gets his man (I like that, a lot).
I'm very happy with both picks. I think our O-line will be greatly improved. I'm also happy with Baalke's conviction to make it happen.
Now we are going to hit people in the mouth!
Hoping for Brian Price at 49 today
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If we can get Chilo to play to his potential this line is set for the next 12 years. Wow, when was the last time we could claim that.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
I hope to be pleasantly surprised with Davis. He wont be a factor this year. But the next I think so....He needs ALOT of coaching. ALOT.

Iupati is straight up a monster. We needed him.

Davis will be a factor this year, I think he starts at RT. Iupati will compete with Baas for the starting LG position.

Singletary himself said Davis isnt gonna start right away. We gotta keep our expectations of him at a minimum right now, he needs work, alot of work.
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:32 AM ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheChozen:
I'm very happy with both picks. I think our O-line will be greatly improved. I'm also happy with Baalke's conviction to make it happen.

Agreed! this position has been overlooked for YEARS! this is what's going to bring us to the playoffs...i still think it's going to take a year or two but this is a long term solution! SWEET!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I hope to be pleasantly surprised with Davis. He wont be a factor this year. But the next I think so....He needs ALOT of coaching. ALOT.

Iupati is straight up a monster. We needed him.

Davis will be a factor this year, I think he starts at RT. Iupati will compete with Baas for the starting LG position.

Singletary himself said Davis isnt gonna start right away. We gotta keep our expectations of him at a minimum right now, he needs work, alot of work.

Davis should have no problem beating out Snyder in training camp. Davis' pass blocking alone will earn him the RT job.
Singletary hinted at possibly making Davis an LT if he fits there:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d817b8d7e/Singletary-on-first-round
Originally posted by dj43:
3 observations:

1. Davis starts at RT from the beginning of TC. The 49ers did not move up just to have a guy who could COMPETE with Adam Snyder at RT. They moved up to have a guy who would START at RT.

2. Iupati has some pass blocking refinements to make, but Baas was not a very polished pass blocker last year either. Iupati starts at LG because he has the quickness and agility that Baas does not have and will never have.

3. Alex Smith is the quarterback that Mike Singletary and Trent Baalke BELIEVE will get them into the playoffs!!! This is a SERIOUS compliment to Alex Smith.

OVERALL: The 49ers believe that the OL was the last remaining piece of a playoff caliber offense, and they have solved that problem in a decisive fashion. And they did it with by getting a combination of value and need.

GRADE: A+

Agreed!
I like the Davis pick....I think Iupati is way overrated and will turn out to be a bust....should of taken Kyle Wilson instead. We have no speed in the secondary...hopefully that will change today.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Singletary hinted at possibly making Davis an LT if he fits there:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d817b8d7e/Singletary-on-first-round

I think Davis is probably best at LT and Staley at RT. I sure they'll figure it out.
Share 49ersWebzone