LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Breakdown-Thoughts on Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati as 49er first rd picks

Good post,

I agree that both players need some work, but both have a huge upside. Solari and Ray Brown will play a huge part in both of their developments, luckily Solari seams to have a good track record with O-line development.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Baalke said he would get the folks the team targeted. Seems they did just that. Now on to the secondary with our 2nd round pick.

Will we reach on a guy just to take a DB? I don't think so. Maybe if Morgan Burnett, Taylor Mays, Jerome Murphy or even Kevin Thomas are available, but otherwise I don't think Baalke will reach on a DB just to take one.

Keep an eye out for a D-Lineman tomorrow to. If Brian Price drops I think we will take him.
mooch says we could have the best oline in the nfl next year. for the first time in years maybe ever, i am pumped about the 49ers offensive line!!!
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I like our first round draft picks. I was a little suprised and still a little confused on why we moved up a slot ahead of Miami who had/has no interest in taking an OT and giving up a 4th rd pick to do so, but I think Baalke and company had some info that another team was looking to move up for Anthony Davis and obviously Denver was looking to move down. I hate to lose a 4th rd pick but if the 49ers think Anthony Davis can be as good as some do and they think he is their future starting LT, the move was well worth it. At 17, I was hoping we could move down and get a 3rd rd pick or I was hoping we would take Kyle Wilson, Maurkice Pouncey or Mike Iupati. Obviously we took Iupati who the Steelers were going to take at 18. So basically we just added some serious talent and 660pds to our offensive and I think our left side is set for the next 6-10 years. We know offensive line has been a weakness on this team for a while now and we needed to fix it and getting Mike Solari as O-Line coach and Ray Brown was a nice start and now we got some real talent on the offensive line. I think Staley will eventually move back to RT and Iupati will replace Baas at LG, giving us a big, talented left side with Davis and Iupati. My only question is how much will Davis and Iupati help us as rookies? Does Davis start of at RT? Are they going to have Iupati compete with Baas for the starting LG job? I think we will get some answers later tonight, tomorrow and after the draft. Okay, let's break down our two first round picks...

Anthony Davis: A BIG TIME Talent! I said it before, Anthony Davis is the most talented offensive tackle in a very talented offensive tackle class. He was the top rated offensive lineman coming out of High School and was recruited by everyone, USC, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, they all wanted him very badly but he was the first big time recruit coming out of New Jersey who stayed in state and signed with Rutgers. Came in as an 18 year old true freshman and started the last 8 games at right guard. Started 12 games at left tackle as a true sophomore in 2008 and another 12 at LT in 2009. Now he did report overweight every season at Rutgers starting with his freshmen season and was suspended for a game last year for being late to a team meeting. He was also overweight for the combine, so yes he has some flaws but he is only 20yrs old and he really does not have many weaknesses in his game. Go watch the game vs Pitt this past year; He dominated Pittsburgh DE Greg Romeus who is projected as a top 5 pick for the 2011 draft. He handled both George Selvie and Jason Pierre-Paul when USF played Rutgers. This kid when he is focused, he is a big time player. He was projected as a top 2-4 pick next year had he came back for his Senior season at Rutgers. At 6'5" 323pds he is obviously a big kid but he also has a wide frame with long arms. He can just slide and mirror defensive ends. He has good feet, esspecially for someone his size. I trust Singletary will keep this kid motivated and in shape and with Solari coaching him up along with Ray Brown, I think he is in good hands in San Francisco. I think he can come right in and compete for starting RT job and in 2011 and beyond I think he will be a big time NFL offensive tackle.

Mike Iupati: A big, nasty, physical 6'5" 332pd Samoan who helped make Idaho a relevant football program for the first time in a long time. Still a little raw as I believe he did not start playing football until the 8th grade. Started 33 games the last three seasons at Idaho and was team captain the last season. Can be flat out dominating in the running game. He just bowls over defenders with his size, power and massive hands. Could use work in pass protection and tends to do a lot of holding and his footwork can be sloppy but all that is coachable. He struggled in the Senior Bowl game but in the practices he was really solid, at times dominating. Really got the better of Penn State DT Jared Odrick in one on one drills. Still learning to play football and has a huge upside. I do think he can be a factor as a run blocker as a rookie and eventually turning into a very good all-around guard. The type of player you can run behind when you need a yard, someone we don't have.

I feel a lot better about our offensive line with Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati as 49ers. Potentially our left side could be as good as any in the NFL. The only question is where and how much will they play as rookies?

Iupati reminds me of a young Jesse Sapolu. If he plays that well we have a real gem? And Davis reminds me of Steve Wallace. If he mirrors him we are set for the next 10 years? We will see, that's why the Draft is a crap shoot! Hang on because we are in for a wild ride. The next two days should be very interesting?

Jesse Sapolu??? Why because he is Samoan? Sapolu was 280 lbs and Iupati is 335. The is nothing similar between the 2 physically. He reminds me of a more athletic Kevin Gogan.
If Davis is properly motivated, he is the best OT in the draft.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
If Davis is properly motivated, he is the best OT in the draft.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Like I said at the end of the season
Fix the OL and we become legitamit Super Bowl contenders!

Whoa.

Super lag.

Anyways.
I'm SO HAPPY! I've been waiting for this organization to fix an oline

Playoffs for sure baby!
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Whoa.

Super lag.

Anyways.
I'm SO HAPPY! I've been waiting for this organization to fix an oline

Playoffs for sure baby!

I think so and we set our offensive line for the next 6-8-10 years.

Can't wait to watch the PC tomorrow with Davis and Iupati side by side sporting 49ers jerseys.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
I like our first round draft picks. I was a little suprised and still a little confused on why we moved up a slot ahead of Miami who had/has no interest in taking an OT and giving up a 4th rd pick to do so, but I think Baalke and company had some info that another team was looking to move up for Anthony Davis and obviously Denver was looking to move down. I hate to lose a 4th rd pick but if the 49ers think Anthony Davis can be as good as some do and they think he is their future starting LT, the move was well worth it. At 17, I was hoping we could move down and get a 3rd rd pick or I was hoping we would take Kyle Wilson, Maurkice Pouncey or Mike Iupati. Obviously we took Iupati who the Steelers were going to take at 18. So basically we just added some serious talent and 660pds to our offensive and I think our left side is set for the next 6-10 years. We know offensive line has been a weakness on this team for a while now and we needed to fix it and getting Mike Solari as O-Line coach and Ray Brown was a nice start and now we got some real talent on the offensive line. I think Staley will eventually move back to RT and Iupati will replace Baas at LG, giving us a big, talented left side with Davis and Iupati. My only question is how much will Davis and Iupati help us as rookies? Does Davis start of at RT? Are they going to have Iupati compete with Baas for the starting LG job? I think we will get some answers later tonight, tomorrow and after the draft. Okay, let's break down our two first round picks...

Anthony Davis: A BIG TIME Talent! I said it before, Anthony Davis is the most talented offensive tackle in a very talented offensive tackle class. He was the top rated offensive lineman coming out of High School and was recruited by everyone, USC, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, they all wanted him very badly but he was the first big time recruit coming out of New Jersey who stayed in state and signed with Rutgers. Came in as an 18 year old true freshman and started the last 8 games at right guard. Started 12 games at left tackle as a true sophomore in 2008 and another 12 at LT in 2009. Now he did report overweight every season at Rutgers starting with his freshmen season and was suspended for a game last year for being late to a team meeting. He was also overweight for the combine, so yes he has some flaws but he is only 20yrs old and he really does not have many weaknesses in his game. Go watch the game vs Pitt this past year; He dominated Pittsburgh DE Greg Romeus who is projected as a top 5 pick for the 2011 draft. He handled both George Selvie and Jason Pierre-Paul when USF played Rutgers. This kid when he is focused, he is a big time player. He was projected as a top 2-4 pick next year had he came back for his Senior season at Rutgers. At 6'5" 323pds he is obviously a big kid but he also has a wide frame with long arms. He can just slide and mirror defensive ends. He has good feet, esspecially for someone his size. I trust Singletary will keep this kid motivated and in shape and with Solari coaching him up along with Ray Brown, I think he is in good hands in San Francisco. I think he can come right in and compete for starting RT job and in 2011 and beyond I think he will be a big time NFL offensive tackle.

Mike Iupati: A big, nasty, physical 6'5" 332pd Samoan who helped make Idaho a relevant football program for the first time in a long time. Still a little raw as I believe he did not start playing football until the 8th grade. Started 33 games the last three seasons at Idaho and was team captain the last season. Can be flat out dominating in the running game. He just bowls over defenders with his size, power and massive hands. Could use work in pass protection and tends to do a lot of holding and his footwork can be sloppy but all that is coachable. He struggled in the Senior Bowl game but in the practices he was really solid, at times dominating. Really got the better of Penn State DT Jared Odrick in one on one drills. Still learning to play football and has a huge upside. I do think he can be a factor as a run blocker as a rookie and eventually turning into a very good all-around guard. The type of player you can run behind when you need a yard, someone we don't have.

I feel a lot better about our offensive line with Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati as 49ers. Potentially our left side could be as good as any in the NFL. The only question is where and how much will they play as rookies?

Iupati reminds me of a young Jesse Sapolu. If he plays that well we have a real gem? And Davis reminds me of Steve Wallace. If he mirrors him we are set for the next 10 years? We will see, that's why the Draft is a crap shoot! Hang on because we are in for a wild ride. The next two days should be very interesting?

Jesse Sapolu??? Why because he is Samoan? Sapolu was 280 lbs and Iupati is 335. The is nothing similar between the 2 physically. He reminds me of a more athletic Kevin Gogan.

No, because of his nasty streak. I knew Jesse and met him several times during the season as I worked in TV News and worked with Radnich for over 15 years! Jesse was a regular on his show and he and his family showed up regularily. Players today on the OL are basically bigger than back then but a nasty streak can't be taught. You either have a killer instinct or you don't. And both picks have that nastiness about them. Physically you are correct Jesse and Steve where not as big as these two bad boys, but they would tear your head off and have the rings to prove it. All I'm saying is that they remind me of them and a couple of people with NFL connections that I was with tonight watching the draft agreed with me! That's my take on it, if you don't agree that's fine! You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

Nutcracker drill(Iupati+Sopoaga)=Nuclear EXPLOSION
Originally posted by walker807:
Nutcracker drill(Iupati+Sopoaga)=Nuclear EXPLOSION

Gonna be interesting...Big strong Samoan on big strong Samoan
Looks like Davis will start TC battling Adam Snyder for the starting RT job and Iupati battling Baas for the starting LG job
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
I hope to be pleasantly surprised with Davis. He wont be a factor this year. But the next I think so....He needs ALOT of coaching. ALOT.

Iupati is straight up a monster. We needed him.

Davis will be a factor this year, I think he starts at RT. Iupati will compete with Baas for the starting LG position.

no way we stick a 20 year old Tackle on a playoff contender in there to get eaten alive....he starts only if there is an injury.
I hope to be pleasantly surprised with Davis. He wont be a factor this year. But the next I think so....He needs ALOT of coaching. ALOT.

Iupati is straight up a monster. We needed him.

Davis will be a factor this year, I think he starts at RT. Iupati will compete with Baas for the starting LG position.

no way we stick a 20 year old Tackle on a playoff contender in there to get eaten alive....he starts only if there is an injury.

I'll bet he's just as capable physically to start at RT as Snyder has been. He may be 20 but he's built like a 5 year vet.
Share 49ersWebzone