LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

49ers 1st round grade...

49ers 1st round grade...

With a young/quality center in 2011, this line could be one of the best in the NFL for a very long time.
I grade our 2 1st rounders an XXXXL
I wasn't overly excited about this first round. They better make those next 2 picks count because after our third round pick we will have to wait until the sixth round to make our last 3 picks. I will be looking for us to add one of three positions, CB/S,DE/OLB, or another RB. I'm starting to think the FO believes they have the impact players they need and that is furthest from the truth!!
Originally posted by NinersFo6:
I wasn't overly excited about this first round. They better make those next 2 picks count because after our third round pick we will have to wait until the sixth round to make our last 3 picks. I will be looking for us to add one of three positions, CB/S,DE/OLB, or another RB. I'm starting to think the FO believes they have the impact players they need and that is furthest from the truth!!

I disagree. I think we have plenty of impact players on both sides of the ball. We're not the Saints or Vikings, but we have enough big-time performers to make a difference. But the o-line was so weak, it had to be addressed by top-tier talent.

You can bet next year we'll get a bunch of shiny new toys on offense and impact players on defense, but this year was all about rebuilding the most basic part of any football team...the offensive line.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Davis could have easily been taken before we got to him at #13. And he is way more physical than Bulaga. Plus he has a much higher upside than Bulaga. Also we have Singletary and although I don't like him in a lot of ways (sing) he is a great motivator. Look what he did with VD and Crabtree. He will motivate Davis. And if Davis doesn't get motivated he will drop his pants.

Im exstatic about picking 2 OL. That is what I wanted...I just hate that we got screwed out of another pick. Davis is gonna need a ton of coaching and will only get on the feild if there is an injury. Im expecting the worst with Davis, but hoping for the best, and I know his ceiling is sky high. I hope he is the real deal.

i highly doubt that the only way davis gets on the field is if someone gets injured..synder is simply a horrible RT
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by NinersFo6:

I disagree. I think we have plenty of impact players on both sides of the ball. We're not the Saints or Vikings, but we have enough big-time performers to make a difference. But the o-line was so weak, it had to be addressed by top-tier talent.

You can bet next year we'll get a bunch of shiny new toys on offense and impact players on defense, but this year was all about rebuilding the most basic part of any football team...the offensive line.

I agree with you Ghost. Although we may get one shiny new toy in Dexter McCluster tommorrow and/or we will probably address the DB need whether it be Safety or Corner. I doubt we go OLB unless Kindle falls to us at 49 which will not happen.
Originally posted by Shaj:
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Davis could have easily been taken before we got to him at #13. And he is way more physical than Bulaga. Plus he has a much higher upside than Bulaga. Also we have Singletary and although I don't like him in a lot of ways (sing) he is a great motivator. Look what he did with VD and Crabtree. He will motivate Davis. And if Davis doesn't get motivated he will drop his pants.

I think this "motivator" thing that Sing has is overrated. Why weren't Chilo Rachel, Adam Snynder, and Kentwan Balmer motivated by Sing to do better than they did last year?

LOL. Those guys just have no talent. This guy does. Singletary can mold and shape those with some talent. But guys with zero talent nobody can do anything with.

LOVE Iupati.

B-

I think this "motivator" thing that Sing has is overrated. Why weren't Chilo Rachel, Adam Snynder, and Kentwan Balmer motivated by Sing to do better than they did last year?

LOL. Those guys just have no talent. This guy does. Singletary can mold and shape those with some talent. But guys with zero talent nobody can do anything with.

Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
A. We have a young studly offense. Davis and Ilupati matched up with Solari our O-line is going to be dominating. Great job Baalke.

I know this is going to sound weird to some but how much did McCloughan play a part in this draft, given his propensity for Big Ugglies?

I'm thinking more than anyone knows. Yeah it played out the way it did cause we jumped up, but are these McCloughan choices that Baalke took to the war room(Baalke even said he had similar views on the draft as McC) or are these team choices made AFTER McC left or are these Baalke choices? 2nd round we'll see how things unfold before they get a true grade but I'm giving them an A+ for these two.

~Ceadder

Hell - if they draft a OG/C with the 3rd round pick, keep it going!

About time. About time.

Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

Hell - if they draft a OG/C with the 3rd round pick, keep it going!

About time. About time.

hahaha no thats just to much!
give me Taylor Mays, Reshad Jones, or Arenas in round 2.
A+ we finally got our maulers, we got our kr/pr with ginn (hopefully he can handle the pr duties) now when they grab allen or jones for the safety and pick up a corner everything will be golden........................................until TC

GO NINERS!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Yup Sing is only human. He can turn guys with potential into good players, but he can't turn crap+icecream into an icecream sandwich. If you give him guys to work with he gives you results, just look at Ahmad Brooks.
At last! And we gave up a whole fourth round pick! Finally, we are going to have a line again!

This has the potential to be one of those drafts.

Now for day 2, either db or impact players for the O. Or maybe pass rush! Just bpa, at least. The weakness has been addressed.

A+. So far.

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Seriously, guys like Balmer, Snyder, and Rachel were the b*****d children of the McCloughan era!

Scot was just f**kING HORRIBLE at drafting linemen on either side of the ball (cause he was size-biased/stubborn), and the only reason we even have Staley is because he was a no-brainer pick up that point at #28 in 2007.

-Which is why I think Scot wouldn't have traded up for Davis yesterday, and probably would have settled for Bulaga at #13 (who is more of a 'McCloughan mauler' than a 'technique-potential' type of guy Davis can be under Solari).
Share 49ersWebzone