LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

49ers 1st round grade...

49ers 1st round grade...

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I will tell you in 2 years.
Originally posted by TheyHate2LuvMe:
i like that fact that we drafted 2 guards. but i give this a B+ just because we could have really used Earl Thomas. I woulda loved Dez Bryant too. but thats just me. i think him and Crabtree would quickly become a top 3 WR core for the next 5-10 years.

We dratfed a tackle and a guard, not 2 guards.
You gotta love THIS possibility

Stales/Iupati/Baas/Heitmann/Davis

Tude to spare on THAT Line.

I think this is the best iteration because it puts Veteran presence on the LT spot and on the Right interior. This to me is the best possible scenario, because it gets Heitmann out of Center and back to Guard(he was a solid Guard before he moved to Center) where he can help Baas before the snap and Davis afterwards. He does gravitate to his Right after all so take advantage of that and get Baas at Center where he either OWNS it or . I'm tired of waiting around for the Line to "get it". Yes it takes an average of 3 years for a Lineman to "get it", but that guy has never had a shot at the position he was drafted for. Yeah alot of that is due to Heitmann but we CANNOT have our QB get killed by someone coming free up the middle right past our Center again. That cannot and sure as F*CK better not happen again.I still blow a gasket just thinking about that fat f*ck going WWE on Alex when he OBVIOUSLY wasn't goint anywhere. That crap was intentional as hell.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Are you people serious we threw away our 4th? I'm pretty damn sure they knew somthing u didn't know like maybe a team was going to trade up and snag him

The way I see it, there was no way in hell any of the top tackles would have been left by #13 anyways (and we knew this weeks before the draft). If we didn't make that deal Denver would have probably traded #11 out to either Green Bay, Dallas, or any other team moving up for a tackle, and Miami would've taken Davis ON THE SPOT since Smiley is practically no longer wanted around there.

Biggest indicator for me that we made the right move was that Miami immediately traded out cause they couldn't get Rolando McClain or Anthony Davis. -We made the right move, Davis was the last tackle left in the draft with starting/future potential. Davis is practically a Ryan Clady (Denver) clone, tall mofo with long ass arms and speedy legs!

A+
  • dj43
Originally posted by CRH49:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Yeah I think denver took advantage of the inexperience. I don't see the logic of giving up picks in the so called deepest draft in years, when one or both of those tackles would have been there at 13.

The guard is nice to add more to the Oline, but who gets cut? All in all I would have rather have had wilson at 17.
You always have to think twice about giving up a pick. However, I have heard a number of guys I trust say Davis was the second best talent at OT and the best pass protector. That says a lot. Evidently the 49ers didn't feel that the next best OT was in the same class as Davis. Remember, the 49ers spent a lot of time with this guy...did a lot of homework and had a couple of personal meetings.

The guy that gets cut is Wragge unless they use Baas in a trade for another pick. Baas was not going to be re-signed anyway. He has had plenty of time to develop and he hasn't cut it. There is the option to move him to center to replace Heitmann eventually but Baas has not proven to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. I don't think the team feels he has the ability to make the blocking calls.

Tonight was all about setting up the OL for the next 6-10 years. I believe they have done that.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by AC49er:
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Are you people serious we threw away our 4th? I'm pretty damn sure they knew somthing u didn't know like maybe a team was going to trade up and snag him

judging by denver & miami's willingness to trade, i would say someone would have swooped in

Somebody may have traded for those spots, but none of us have any way of knowing whether Anthony Davis would have been picked by those teams. I have no proof he would have been there at 13, and nobody else has any proof he wouldn't have been. In my OPINION, he would have been. Nobody has to agree with me on it, it's just MY opinion.

Well hooray to you. And it's just MY opinion that we got 2 of the 4 best OL in the entire draft--a deep one at that-- and I don't care that we gave up a 4th rounder to do it. The steelers are crying they didn't get Iupati and someone trading up for Miami's pick is crying they didn't Anthony Davis. We'll get our secondary help in the 2nd and 3rd and you'll be putting this as an A draft overall.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I give them an A-, I don't think they needed to trade up for Anthony Davis.

If we had stay put at 13 and Pittsburg had of jumped ahead of us, I bet youd be singing a different tune. If they take Davis at 11, we dont get a OT in the first. In hindsight Bulaga must have been last resort contigency plan. Just think how it would have felt to have two first round picks, and not address the weakest position on the team.

Anthony Davis was obviously a high targeted prospect. I'm thinking he was top 5 on our draft board. Just from the interview with Davis after the draft, you could tell that he and Sing had something special. So what we trade a 4th rounder to guarantee we land a top 5 prospect. There was too much to lose if another team trades in front of us to pick him. I think tomorrow you will realize how brilliant a move it was.

very true.

i wonder how much Singletary influenced the picks.

I also wonder how much the Clausen talk was just smoke.

Whatever you say about giving up a 4th, I feel a lot safer going into 2011 after getting two great, All-Pro potential OL prospects (I am willing to assume Sing will more than correct any maturity issues).

The draft is never sure-fire; being that we needed O line help so badly, The chance that if even one of the OL they took in the first round didn't pan out this season probably convinced the front office to go with a well-conceived paradigm hybrid of BPA AND need at #17, given that it hedges the the personnel on the line with a player of great value at that draft spot.

It's easier to give an A+ when there's some more flash, though I think we should always save the + for 3 years after the draft.

Like Willis said on his twitter, the team got better as a whole today.

This O line has the chance to anchor a potentially juggernaut offense, if Smith continues his trend of progressing with each season.

Now lets see us get some speed and depth in the secondary and RB, as well as some more pass-rushers. Brandon Spikes would be sweet.

Why is there no option for A? (wtf?)
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
If we score Mays in the 2nd I will jerk off in Times Square.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Chief:

Yes !!!
Originally posted by Chief:

Yeah baby. Niner brass are talking their strategy to get Mays as we speak 2AM New York time. You better reserve your spot in Times Square for your act bro.

A. We have a young studly offense. Davis and Ilupati matched up with Solari our O-line is going to be dominating. Great job Baalke.
A-
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by TheyHate2LuvMe:
i like that fact that we drafted 2 guards. but i give this a B+ just because we could have really used Earl Thomas. I woulda loved Dez Bryant too. but thats just me. i think him and Crabtree would quickly become a top 3 WR core for the next 5-10 years.

We dratfed a tackle and a guard, not 2 guards.

my bad, thats what i meant
  • dj43
I can't wait to see Ray Brown, a guy who had GREAT technique and understanding, work work with Iupati and Rachal. Also, Brown will instill a lot of work ethic in Davis as well.

For the first time, the OL has TWO quality position coaches...and talent with which to work. That should keep us all happy...while we wait for a cover safety.
  • island49ers
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
With the Niners selecting Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati, how do you grade our first round?[/quote

I am some what happy with our draft picks. I think there was no need to trade up for Davis. I think he would have been there at the 13 pick. I would like to know what we gave up, to move up? Atleast we address our needs on the offense side of the ball. I hope tomorrow we can get a CB or a pass rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone