49ers 1st round grade...

49ers 1st round grade...

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I give them an A-, I don't think they needed to trade up for Anthony Davis.

If we had stay put at 13 and Pittsburg had of jumped ahead of us, I bet youd be singing a different tune. If they take Davis at 11, we dont get a OT in the first. In hindsight Bulaga must have been last resort contigency plan. Just think how it would have felt to have two first round picks, and not address the weakest position on the team.

Anthony Davis was obviously a high targeted prospect. Im thinking he was top 5 on our draft board. Just from the interview with Davis after the draft, you could tell that he and Sing had something special. So what we trade a 4th rounder to guarantee we land a top 5 prospect. There was too much to lose if another team trades in front of us to pick him. I think tomorrow you will realize how brilliant a move it was.

Aaahh, not necessarily. I think if Davis wasn't there at #13, Bulaga would've been. And besides if we missed on one of the top 3 OT's in the 1st, there's always good talent in the 2nd. Like Bill Belichick said in his interview, the 2nd round is just another 1st round. If you didn't notice Brown, Campbell, Duccasse and Saffold are still available.

If Anthony Davis turns out good you will be happy. A 4th is nothing to give up for one of the top Tackles in the draft. A 4th is not a guarantee of anything. You might get nothing out of that anyway. Our RT has sucked for 5 + years and they finally did something about it. I applaud it. And it's about time. Under Singletary motivation I think he will turn out well.

You're acting as if I disagree with the pick, I just disagree with the trade. As for our 4th round pick, we've managed to get DaShon Goldson out of it who is a starter in the secondary. Thing is, there's always good talent left, but hey rookie GM no biggie, I still gave them an A, well minus that is.
Originally posted by PTulini:
According to Mooch after we selected Mike Iupati, he said 2 years from now, he believes that the 49ers could have the best offensive line in the NFL!

i think so too man. anyone worried about that 4th rounder or saying iupati wasnt good value is trippin. we needed help bad and we got two of the best prospects at their positions. wouldnt surprise me to see them both in a probowl within 2 years of their NFL careers.
if coach sing looked davis in the eye and was satisfied he has what it takes...
then so am i.
by midseason none of us will miss that 4th, and if we didn't pull the trigger on the trade,
perhaps the cowboys or GB would have.
i'm so glad we didnt ef around with "value" and just got the guys to improve our team.

now if we can just get a.owusu-ansah at 49
and c.thomas or l.joseph at 79 i'll be STOKED with this draft.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
According to Mooch after we selected Mike Iupati, he said 2 years from now, he believes that the 49ers could have the best offensive line in the NFL!

i think so too man. anyone worried about that 4th rounder or saying iupati wasnt good value is trippin. we needed help bad and we got two of the best prospects at their positions. wouldnt surprise me to see them both in a probowl within 2 years of their NFL careers.

Staley---Iupati---Heitmann---Rachal---A. Davis

Frank Gore probably busted a nut tonight thinking about the possibilities of this lineup!
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-

I suspect miami put out the notice their 12th pick overall was for sale. Niners were worried a team was going to swoop in at the 12th pick and snag Priority 1 away. It seems they targeted Davis big time.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Davis could have easily been taken before we got to him at #13. And he is way more physical than Bulaga. Plus he has a much higher upside than Bulaga. Also we have Singletary and although I don't like him in a lot of ways (sing) he is a great motivator. Look what he did with VD and Crabtree. He will motivate Davis. And if Davis doesn't get motivated he will drop his pants.

I think this "motivator" thing that Sing has is overrated. Why weren't Chilo Rachel, Adam Snynder, and Kentwan Balmer motivated by Sing to do better than they did last year?
Originally posted by Shaj:

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Davis could have easily been taken before we got to him at #13. And he is way more physical than Bulaga. Plus he has a much higher upside than Bulaga. Also we have Singletary and although I don't like him in a lot of ways (sing) he is a great motivator. Look what he did with VD and Crabtree. He will motivate Davis. And if Davis doesn't get motivated he will drop his pants.

I think this "motivator" thing that Sing has is overrated. Why weren't Chilo Rachel, Adam Snynder, and Kentwan Balmer motivated by Sing to do better than they did last year?

agreed....though Balmer to his credit played well when he played, which wasnt alot because of a great DL we have.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Frank Gore probably busted a nut tonight thinking about the possibilities of this lineup!

Bust a nut? Nah the family jewels might be partying and feels the love and protection
I'm very happy with the 49ers draft for round 1! OT Anthony Davis and OG Mike Iupati! While I don't think we needed to trade up for OT Anthony Davis, I can understand why. HC Singletary said the team thought Dallas would trade with Miami to grab Davis @ #12, so they moved up to get their guy.

Looks great to me!

This
A- because we traded away our 4 th and I believe we could have stayed and still gotten Davis
Originally posted by kronik:

LOVE Iupati.

B-

I suspect miami put out the notice their 12th pick overall was for sale. Niners were worried a team was going to swoop in at the 12th pick and snag Priority 1 away. It seems they targeted Davis big time.

That has to be it.
Supposedly, Rutgers' OT Anthony Davis is regarded as the best pass blocking offensive tackle in the draft.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Yeah I think denver took advantage of the inexperience. I don't see the logic of giving up picks in the so called deepest draft in years, when one or both of those tackles would have been there at 13.

The guard is nice to add more to the Oline, but who gets cut? All in all I would have rather have had wilson at 17.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
b+. if we get a cb and s with the next 2 picks a. we need to improve our secondary or we'll be 21st in passing yards allowed again.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rob28:
b+. if we get a cb and s with the next 2 picks a. we need to improve our secondary or we'll be 21st in passing yards allowed again.