There are 226 users in the forums

49ers 1st round grade...

49ers 1st round grade...

With the Niners selecting Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati, how do you grade our first round?
The entire draft is A- no matter what we do from here forward.

11) Anthony Davis - good and potentially great with "Singletary motivation."

17) Mike Iupati - The next Larry Allen. Enough said.

5th round) Ted Ginn - KR / PR / from time to time deep threat.

This is an A- draft already. It's already exceeded my expectations by far.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM ]
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-
With Denver & Miami's willingness to trade, we needed to make the move to get our guy.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Davis could have easily been taken before we got to him at #13. And he is way more physical than Bulaga. Plus he has a much higher upside than Bulaga. Also we have Singletary and although I don't like him in a lot of ways (sing) he is a great motivator. Look what he did with VD and Crabtree. He will motivate Davis. And if Davis doesn't get motivated he will drop his pants.
I would have taken a skill position guy or traded down with our second pick. We could have gotten more value for a guard in a later round. We could have taken a CB with our second first rounder and gotten much more value. That being said, there is no way this draft happens with Mcloughan and I have to give credit to the new staff for finally taking proper care of the OL.

I don't expect both players to start right away, but by week six they both will be.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I give them an A-, I don't think they needed to trade up for Anthony Davis.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Both are better than anything we got right now. The should have no problem winning a job in training camp. Oh, and I give them an A+.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 22, 2010 at 9:14 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The entire draft is A- no matter what we do from here forward.

11) Anthony Davis - good and potentially great with "Singletary motivation."

17) Mike Iupati - The next Larry Allen. Enough said.

5th round) Ted Ginn - KR / PR / from time to time deep threat.

This is an A- draft already. It's already exceeded my expectations by far.

THIS!

We have 2 starting OL and a new RS that can hopefully add something to our offense at WR.
B+

B+

Liked Anthony Davis pick as we had to get an OT. However, I do think the Niners panicked and gave up the 4th round for no reason. The only team that would have wanted to possibly move up to get an OT was GB and it would have cost them a lot. We should have just stuck at 13 and taken Davis who would have been there.

At 17 I would have preferred Kyle Wilson but am fine with Iupati. We still have a glaring need in my opinion in the secondary and need to address it in round 2.

Solid but not super.
agreed
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I give them an A-, I don't think they needed to trade up for Anthony Davis.

If we had stay put at 13 and Pittsburg had of jumped ahead of us, I bet youd be singing a different tune. If they take Davis at 11, we dont get a OT in the first. In hindsight Bulaga must have been last resort contigency plan. Just think how it would have felt to have two first round picks, and not address the weakest position on the team.

Anthony Davis was obviously a high targeted prospect. Im thinking he was top 5 on our draft board. Just from the interview with Davis after the draft, you could tell that he and Sing had something special. So what we trade a 4th rounder to guarantee we land a top 5 prospect. There was too much to lose if another team trades in front of us to pick him. I think tomorrow you will realize how brilliant a move it was.
I can't imagine how it could have gone any better, perhaps with Spiller at #17, maybe.

Finally, Alex Smith has a chance to lead somthing other than the 3n'out express. The best defense, is keeping the football, and not punting it away.
Share 49ersWebzone