There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Draft mistakes to be avoided.. Alex Smith

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/schein-draft-mistakes-to-avoid#sport=NFL&photo=11152009

Found this on the homepage of MSN.com when I turned on my internet explorer. Funny they put Alex Smith on the first page comparing him to Sam Bradford.. going to a team that sucks will set you up for failure.. in 2005, we stank. The Rams stink now, and have sucked for a while now.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/schein-draft-mistakes-to-avoid#sport=NFL&photo=11152009

Found this on the homepage of MSN.com when I turned on my internet explorer. Funny they put Alex Smith on the first page comparing him to Sam Bradford.. going to a team that sucks will set you up for failure.. in 2005, we stank. The Rams stink now, and have sucked for a while now.

I agree if Rams select him they will only be setting him up for failure. No offensive line or weapons he's dooomed!

Rams best option is to draft OL or trade down!
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Yeah to be honest if I were the Rams I'd pick Suh. That team has no OLine and no recievers and they don't have a vet QB better than Bradford so they're going to be stuck playing him early on in the season. Their only crutch is Steven Jackson IF he's healthy. I could see them ruining Bradford easily. Young QBs are usually succesful mainly when they have options or protection. Flacco had a great running game, good OL and DMase too. Matt Ryan had Roddy White and Michael Turner. Peyton Manning had Marshall Faulk and Harrison. Brady had a good OLine and a good defense. Montana had a good OLine, the best coach in the game when he played, and he had Dwight Clark. A lot of these number one picks who go bust either get sacked a lot or have nobody to throw to and they never develop.

If they pick Suh, they can build up that pass rush like Spags is a defensive coach. They could pick McCoy or someone in the 2nd round who would fit their WCO pretty wel. I don't think they're making the right decision here, but they need a QB so oh well.
Yeah, Bradford may be the best QB in this draft class, but I am assuming with the top dollars they will have to pay him, somewhere in the $70million/6 years range, he will be starting for them from the get go... and he will look very very bad.

And with the team they have over there in STL, I wouldn't be surprised if they get the first overall #1 pick in 2011 as well. Oh well, that's there bad. F* the Rams! go 49ers!!!!
[ Edited by bigmike55 on Apr 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM ]
More mistakes to be avoided:

Beware of slecting a player for a scheme change (EXAMPLES: spread to T, drive blocking to zone, 4-3 to 3-4)

Don't project a position change for anyone selected earlier than Round 6. Use the UDFA channel for such projects.

Don't select fragile people. Value durability. Not just game-to-game, but also within a game. You need 60-minute men to win.

Don't select workout warriors or draft combine phenoms. Go with the on-field performance fim.

Don't believe that a coaches ego can motivate or light a fire under any player who is not passionate about playing pro football. Look for the passion. Pass on the under-achievers.

Don't select any player who is not consistent in his performance. Stay away from the guys who rack-up stats and pretty film against the cupcakes on their schedule, and disappear against the big boys.

Be wary of any player with a posse (or who have Eugene Parker as an agent). Focus on players who have strong attitudes about helping their mom (Gore, Rachal, etc) or who alreadt has his own wife/kids to support. Such players will not quit, when the going gets tough.

Pass on any player who has 2 or more of his college coaches refuse to endorse him strongly. One coach may hold a grudge for some reason, but two should be a red flag.

Think twice about selecting a player who has specific ideas about grad school or med school (the John Frank Syndrome). Return-on-investment (ROI) is directly related to length of career. A draft pick is too important to waste on a guy who is only committed to a 2-3 year career.

Think twice about a talented player, who was not well enough respected by his own team-mates to be voted as captain of his team.
It's funny I just watch Top 10 Draft Steals ....

It's an educated crap shot.
Every pick in this draft is a risk/gamble.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
no QB 1 overall....like Bill Walsh sez.
As much as we had a tussle with the Jets last year, as one article that was posted, they did it right. they drafted the linemen, then a suitable RB, before finally laying their eggs in the basket and going after Sanchez.

Its like building a nest to put the bird in why have a bard then build a nest. I am really glad if the Rams do pick Bradford, don't want to face Suh. He was a man among boys. Not sure if he will maintain that in the NFL, but don't see why not.

Just hope the Bradford thing is not a smoke screen-haha-if it was, every draft board has just blown up. Especially if you entered those contests.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
If they do....bring in a vet he can study off of. Try to keep the offensive system intact....& build.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimbagg:

Don't project a position change for anyone selected earlier than Round 6. Use the UDFA channel for such projects.

There are a few exceptions....

Tackle to guard.

DE to 3-4 OLB.

DT to 3-4 DE.

There are others that I'd do before the sixth round, but they are arguable and more opinion than anything.
"Build your lines first" Vince Lombardi, George Allen
The comment by Willisthew... is prescient. Drafting a qB with no OL gets you...well, it gets you, how about, the 49ers. Taking alex with #1 pick in the draft was the dumbest of all the crucially stupid things noln did. We had no OL, and...well, the rest is history. That is why when we have posters saying , "oh take crabtree, take that RB, take that TE..." and yet, we have no OL; it just doesn't make sense. And, please don't tell me that snyder/wrags/heitmann/baas is an OL. It isn't, and if you doubt it, just recheck our game film for say, oh last 7 yrs.

Which brings us to today. We need an OT and we need an OG. Frankly i am surprised at mcShay's and kiper's first 10 picks, where they have dumped on all OTs, giving Okung the best chance of being successful. I figured that all 4 OTs are gone by the 8th slot, and still think so, but those two professional pickers really don't think OTs at 4-10 are all that good. That's good news for us, but i doubt it. We have had zero luck drafting starting OLs in the second, 3rd, 4th rds., and this yr will be no different. This is a minority opinion, but i would take Oher over crabs every day of the week, 52 wks a yr. For a team with no OL, that was colossally stupid. And if we don't get our OT and OG this yr in rd one, it will be stupider yet.

I hope mcShay and kiper are right, and that 3 of the 4 OTs are still there when we pick. SEA picking right in front of us has to take a qB IMO. They need OT also, but these are some very good qbs, and i include tebow in that mix. He could still be the best qb out there, but nobody really believes that.

Draft mistakes not to repeat: do not build your team inside out. Build it from OL and DL in. IF you have a #1 pick in the draft qB, you better dam well have your OL set, or the kid is doomed to failure. Ask alex. You give alex bulaga and iupati, and MAGIC...alex all of a sudden looks like a different qb, the WRs look better, frank runs better, TEs catch better, and my goodness, D looks better because they don't have to play 45 mins/ game. All that just from taking 2 OLs that can start.
I've been telling people for months this Bradford vs Clausen debate is eerily similar to the Smith vs Rodgers debate in 05.

Spread QB vs Pro-style QB
One QB is slightly taller than the other
One QB is cerebral while the other is cocky (yes, Rodgers rubbed Nolan the wrong way)
Rodgers got questioned because former Cal QB Kyle Boller sucked, much in the same way that Clausen gets criticized for former ND Brady Quinn.

Rodgers/Clausen were more ready for the pro game than Smith/Bradford. Even Bradford has the shoulder injuries that Smith has. Bradford is going to go #1 like Smith because of his potential while Clausen will fall like Rodgers. Bradford will be going to a talent-less team in the Rams like the 49ers were in 05.

Its surprising how teams make the same dumb mistakes.
They are saying he needs a good team around him. Bradford that is and Alex as well. He won't change the franchise on his own. They both won't for that matter. They aren't Peyton Manning. I agree. But with the right team they can succeed. I believe that as well. They are suggesting that ST LOUIS has tons of holes and any QB will get killed on that team. And they are right. At least for a few years until the build up a better team. I kind of agree. That still doesn't mean they shouldn't pick him.