LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

MadDog's Final Big Board: The Big 255

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Just a quick note: I noticed Walter Thurmond is spelled "Walter Thurman."

I should resign from school teaching. Thanks for catching this error. I'm sure there are more.

Have fun this weekend.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Assuming that our pick numbers are the actual picks that we would take the following picks would be the Niners draft:

13. B. Bulaga OT
17. Earl Thomas S/CB
49. P. Robinson CB
79. Cam Thomas NT
113. M. Newhouse OG
182. Hal Davis OLB
206. P. Stoudamire CB
224. Matt Mayberry ILB

I can live with the first five picks, but no nothing about the last three picks

Hall Davis is a small school, hybrid DE/OLB that a lot of teams have expressed interest in. He visited the Niners this draft season. Good size at 6'4", 270 pounds. Was double-teamed on nearly every down last season, but was still productive. Big upside.

Patrick Stoudamire is a good-sized CB (5'11, 205 pounds), also from a small school, Western Illinois. He was a second team All-American this year in the smaller school ranks. Solid cover guy, with outstanding leadership. Smart kid.

Matt Mayberry is one of those Big Ten linebackers, playing at Indiana. He's big enough to play the Ted at 6'2", 245 pounds, but fast enough to play the Mike, in sub 4.6 speed. Just a fast, lunchpail, backup to both ILB positions, and a terrific hustle guy that will heavily play special teams.
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
Awesome. If the board falls that way I hope we take Iupati or Pouncey at 17. I would love an all OL 1st round.

A LOT of people would agree with you. Doubtful the team would go that direction, but I'd have no problem. The Jags made it work last year with that strategy.
Originally posted by al49erfan:
So, being from Oregon State... I have to ask... No one from Oregon State getting drafted? Sean Canfield must have had a weird draft season... Going from maybe 4th rounder to 5-6th then to undrafted? Or Keaton Kristick?

Give the beavers some love MD....

BTW I think what you do is great... I love the draft and it just add a little more to read/learn... You can only take so much Mayock/kiper/McShay....

Bad year for Beavers in the draft. However, the Bruins have been dry for LONG time, so I don't feel that sorry for you.

Canfield had a rough off-season. I had concerns about arm strength last season, and he just didn't impress the past few months.
MD,
From your board, it doesn't appear the Niners would have much to gain by trading down from the 1st round or trading up in second. The players the Niners would seem to target are bunched close together. For instance, I'm not sure they're interested in Bruce Campbell.

Would your first choice be OT then Iupati?
Great work as always!! It's fun comparing your list and OTC's with the talking heads on TV as the draft unfolds..

I have to admit that I am relieved that the big day has finally arrived. I am suffering from severe mock fatigue. This year there are more mocks than ever, but only a handfull of well informed and realistic mocks.

You should take time out to enjoy a brat and brew at Schmidt's before the Rams are on the clock.

MD -- thanks for your evaluations. Yours is the only one I use after 100. Gosselin does a good job with the top 100 as well. Actually like this new format. Can reevaluate rounds 2-3 needs after round one cards are in. I'm ready.
As Always MD

Your's as well as OTC's projections and rankings will be used tonight. Any ideas on who may be the biggest reach and who may fall the most tonight?
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
MD,
From your board, it doesn't appear the Niners would have much to gain by trading down from the 1st round or trading up in second. The players the Niners would seem to target are bunched close together. For instance, I'm not sure they're interested in Bruce Campbell.

If the Niners traded down in the first, they'd have to be targetting Rodger Saffold. He's been terrific this offseason, has good size, and would handle the RT position fairly easily. It would be a solid selection in the mid-late 20's. He will be a first rounder.

I think experimenting with Iupati as a tackle is a mistake. The guy will be a killer guard, and I wouldn't mess with his position.
MD Who would you prefer Brown or Bulaga if both are available?

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Great work as always!! It's fun comparing your list and OTC's with the talking heads on TV as the draft unfolds..

I have to admit that I am relieved that the big day has finally arrived. I am suffering from severe mock fatigue. This year there are more mocks than ever, but only a handfull of well informed and realistic mocks.

You should take time out to enjoy a brat and brew at Schmidt's before the Rams are on the clock.

Schmitt's sounds good to me. Wrong side of town. Heading to the Winking Lizard instead. Sorry to the board for Columbus, Ohio talk.

I am also fatigued, but once the clock starts rolling, I will be recharged.

Cheers.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
MD -- thanks for your evaluations. Yours is the only one I use after 100. Gosselin does a good job with the top 100 as well. Actually like this new format. Can reevaluate rounds 2-3 needs after round one cards are in. I'm ready.

Gosselin is a god. I respect him more than anyone else. His track record of the Top 100 picks is unbelievable, and he beats me every year in this grouping. I'd love to see him expand to a full 255 format.

The reason I beat the street in the full draft is the overvaluing many writers have of brand name players, and undervaluing smaller school guys that scouts and coaches love in the late rounds. As you can see from my list, the small school guys reign the last two rounds, as well as the multi-purpose players (playing RT alone is not going to get you drafted late in the draft...you better play guard as well).
Originally posted by joey82:
MD Who would you prefer Brown or Bulaga if both are available?

I grade Brown a LOT better than Bulaga, and I think someone will "reach" for him tonight. I have him at 9 to the Bills.

Bulaga is the more pro-ready, but offers little upside. Brown could emerge as the best OT in this draft.
Originally posted by jreff22:
As Always MD

Your's as well as OTC's projections and rankings will be used tonight. Any ideas on who may be the biggest reach and who may fall the most tonight?

I think Brown will be the biggest climber (however, watch out for Wilson). The guys dropping lower than expected, include Bulaga, Campbell (it looks like the Raiders are going elsewhere), and Bryant.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
MD,

If the Niners traded down in the first, they'd have to be targetting Rodger Saffold. He's been terrific this offseason, has good size, and would handle the RT position fairly easily. It would be a solid selection in the mid-late 20's. He will be a first rounder.

I think experimenting with Iupati as a tackle is a mistake. The guy will be a killer guard, and I wouldn't mess with his position.

MD, I didn't state my question well. Would your first choice for the Niners be an OT with the #13 pick, then Iupati at #17?
Share 49ersWebzone