There are 191 users in the forums

Cohn's Read

I have to somewhat agree. The problem is we don't have a Bill Walsh and never will. It would be very hard to repeat his 1986 draft and moves. You might not ever see a better draft or moves then Bill's 1986 draft.
Originally posted by 49erJim:
I have to somewhat agree. The problem is we don't have a Bill Walsh and never will. It would be very hard to repeat his 1986 draft and moves. You might not ever see a better draft or moves then Bill's 1986 draft.

I do agree. But the thing is.... we need to win now... we need starters to start right off the bat. We ain't got time to draft 3rd and 4th rounders and hope that they pan out.
I COMPLETELY DISAGREE!!!
we dont need to be bold, creative, stylish or make statements.
we just need to select the best football players available who can help us win.
ultimately, it really is that simple and spending any time contemplating any of that other crap is merely a distraction from the job at hand. get better. win football games. after the fact and ONLY IF YOU WIN do sports journalists with degrees in liberal arts or communications say ridiculous stuff like "he was an innovator" or "that was a bold statement." we just need to field the best, most cohesive football team possible. period.

I agree with the idea that he puts out there, but the devil is in the execution.

Being bold is not trading back - anyone can do that. Being bold is trading back AND pulling hall of famers out of the trades. That, my friends, takes a Walsh. We don't have one.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Cohn is a donkey
  • bret
  • Veteran
As I recall, the year we drafted Staley the Niners only had 18 players rated as first rounders, when Staley was the last one left, they traded up to 28 to snatch him away from Baltimore. What good is a mid-second, if the late first only has second round talent?

But this year is supposed to be an especially deep draft. I haven't seen how far the first round grades go, but suppose they go to 40. We can probably grab someone who has dropped at 49, but by trading down BOTH firsts (I'm thinking to 22 and 27, we can end up with three seconds and maybe a third. This would give us ammunition to go up and get two more first round talents at the top of the second round in a deep draft. That could leave us with potentially 5 first round graded players. Talk about improving your talent base!

I'm all for it!
i disagree completely....additional picks COULD help but so could more talented 1st rounders...count them 2. See willis, staley or Vernon and Lawson. They seem to be a lot better than what the alternative COULD BE. We only have so many openings for the team. DID HE CONSIDER THIS when he wrote the article. Competition is good but how many 3rd and 4th rounders will NOT BE CUT or practice squaded by the beginning of the season. We could use a GOOD DB and OL and that can be settled with 2 1st round picks most probably....not some 3rd's or 4th's not to mention we don't have Walsh so the risk is greater for failure.

This guy is not very smart. A team that has good depth and is playoff worthy DOES NOT need a bunch or 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th rounders INSTEAD of 2 1st rounders.WOW
Originally posted by fly15:
Cohn is a donkey
Originally posted by elguapo:
i disagree completely....additional picks COULD help but so could more talented 1st rounders...count them 2. See willis, staley or Vernon and Lawson. They seem to be a lot better than what the alternative COULD BE. We only have so many openings for the team. DID HE CONSIDER THIS when he wrote the article. Competition is good but how many 3rd and 4th rounders will NOT BE CUT or practice squaded by the beginning of the season. We could use a GOOD DB and OL and that can be settled with 2 1st round picks most probably....not some 3rd's or 4th's not to mention we don't have Walsh so the risk is greater for failure.

This guy is not very smart. A team that has good depth and is playoff worthy DOES NOT need a bunch or 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th rounders INSTEAD of 2 1st rounders.WOW

Cohn has been around for a very long time and is a good writer, I don't always agree with him, but he is very smart. I might agree with some of what he says, the problem I have here is we don't have a Bill Walsh any longer so I don't see anyone in the 49ers org that can pull this off. Still if they do have someone whos very good with this draft, then this is the draft to pull some trade moves as its deep and some savy team will get very fat from this draft. Watch what team or teams that start to trade down and stock pile draft picks. Thats the key to this draft.
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
I COMPLETELY DISAGREE!!!
we dont need to be bold, creative, stylish or make statements.
we just need to select the best football players available who can help us win.
ultimately, it really is that simple and spending any time contemplating any of that other crap is merely a distraction from the job at hand. get better. win football games. after the fact and ONLY IF YOU WIN do sports journalists with degrees in liberal arts or communications say ridiculous stuff like "he was an innovator" or "that was a bold statement." we just need to field the best, most cohesive football team possible. period.

dude, you need to re-read it. we have had 10 years of this.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I agree with the idea that he puts out there, but the devil is in the execution.

Being bold is not trading back - anyone can do that. Being bold is trading back AND pulling hall of famers out of the trades. That, my friends, takes a Walsh. We don't have one.

yes I agree 100%

still feel that way about our draft? was it BOLD ENOUGH for you?

u need to let go of the walsh thing, he was the best talent evaluator, u should be happy donohue isnt here anymore
Originally posted by crabman82:

u need to let go of the walsh thing, he was the best talent evaluator, u should be happy donohue isnt here anymore

I have no idea what Walsh thing you are talking about.

p.s. - Hey Crabman.
Share 49ersWebzone