There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

No Offense 1st Round.

13) Earl Thomas.
17) Brandon Graham.

We get a rangy speedy FS and an elite pass rusher. This puts our D. into the top 10 for sure and maybe the top 5. With this and Frank Gore running alone you should make the playoffs and have a chance to win a game in the playoffs.

How is this a bad way to go?

Deal up with a 2nd and a 3rd and move into the very late 1st or very high 2nd. Then grab Charles Brown OT (USC) or Roger Saffold OT (Indiana).

I'm ok if we go offense but I'm also ok with these 3. These 3 plus Ginn and our team is pretty good. Am I wrong?
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
We already had a top 10 defense last year. Id rather go OT then a get the best defensive back available.
Originally posted by DANADA:

What don't you like about it other than the prevailing view that we need to spend all our picks on offense. You can build a power house defense too. There is more than one way to win. Plus IMO Alex Smith will always need a great defense and running game backing him to win.
That's a great 1st round. Saffold, Ducasse, or Brown in the 2nd would be acceptable.

I'd be stoked with that draft.

That being said I don't think we'd draft Graham being LaBoy just signed the same as we don't draft Spiller cuz we just signed Ginn.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
We already had a top 10 defense last year. Id rather go OT then a get the best defensive back available.

So maybe we move into the top 2 or 3. Look what a great defense did for the Jets. That isn't much of a team other than the Defense you know. A rookie QB and terrible WR's. Not much other than D. Their O Line is solid though too.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Id be fine taking those 2 guys in the first.

RT can wait for the 2nd round, still good players there.
Originally posted by dman:
Id be fine taking those 2 guys in the first.

RT can wait for the 2nd round, still good players there.

I agree 100%.
Barring a Lawson trade, the LaBoy signing pretty much takes Graham out of the first round. Why spend a pick on a guy that will be 5th on the depth chart?
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
That's a great 1st round. Saffold, Ducasse, or Brown in the 2nd would be acceptable.

That being said I don't think we'd draft Graham being LaBoy just signed the same as we don't draft Spiller cuz we just signed Ginn.

I don't think Laboy is in the same league as Graham. IMO Graham is going to be a beast in the NFL. His motor is amazing and he has great leverage and quickness.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I don't think Laboy is in the same league as Graham. IMO Graham is going to be a beast in the NFL. His motor is amazing and he has great leverage and quickness.

I don't think so either. I hope we draft him.

LaBoy, when healthy, has proven he can get to the QB. Draft prospects are just that: prospects. Fix the needs we have rather than speculate at a position with depth.
Originally posted by Karma:

LaBoy, when healthy, has proven he can get to the QB. Draft prospects are just that: prospects. Fix the needs we have rather than speculate at a position with depth.

Are you sure about that?...

2004 - 2005 3.5 Sacks.
2005 - 2006 6.5 Sacks.
2006 - 2007 3.5 Sacks.
2007 - 2008 6.0 Sacks.
2008 - 2009 4.0 Sacks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6801/career;_ylt=Av77QuucmSZCfNg8FI4_k5j.uLYF

That's not a lot of production...

2004 - 2005 3.5 Sacks.
2005 - 2006 6.5 Sacks.
2006 - 2007 3.5 Sacks.
2007 - 2008 6.0 Sacks.
2008 - 2009 4.0 Sacks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6801/career;_ylt=Av77QuucmSZCfNg8FI4_k5j.uLYF

Not individually, but collectively they were third in the league. I just don't see this as an area of need, especially considering the talent at other positions. Now, I'm saying this from an opinion that Graham won't be the BPA. You obviously disagree, but we'll see what Baalke thinks. I just think Haden, Davis, Bulaga, both Wiliams, and even Thomas as better talents and fitting areas of need.

2004 - 2005 3.5 Sacks.
2005 - 2006 6.5 Sacks.
2006 - 2007 3.5 Sacks.
2007 - 2008 6.0 Sacks.
2008 - 2009 4.0 Sacks.

Not individually, but collectively they were third in the league. I just don't see this as an area of need, especially considering the talent at other positions. Now, I'm saying this from an opinion that Graham won't be the BPA. You obviously disagree, but we'll see what Baalke thinks. I just think Haden, Davis, Bulaga, both Wiliams, and even Thomas as better talents and fitting areas of need.

Laboy has never been an elite pass rusher and never will be. We still need one (an elite pass rusher) as we don't have have one. So don't pass one over if you get the chance to take him is my point.