There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Grade the 2007 draft

Grade the 2007 draft

They say you shouldn't grade a draft until it has been 3 seasons so we are looking at the 07 class here.

Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 11 Patrick Willis ILB Mississippi
1 28 Joe Staley OT Central Michigan
3 76 Jason Hill WR Washington State
3 97 Ray McDonald DE Florida
4 104 Jay Moore LB Nebraska
4 126 Dashon Goldson SAF Washington
4 135 Joe Cohen DT Florida
5 147 Tarell Brown CB Texas
6 186 Thomas Clayton RB Kansas State

I give it an A. We drafted a future HOF player in Willis. Not to mention a lot of people thought or wanted Carriker at the 11 spot. We have our starting LT or RT for over a decade. Hill has been productive at times but seems to not get on the field too often. Big Mac has an explosive first step and helps make our front 7 one of the best in the biz. Goldson really shined last season in his starting role. And no one could forget the Zone favorite Thomas Clayton!

We basically got 4 or 5 guys that can start for this time for years to come barring injury. What do you guys think
A - this is the best draft in recent memory
and tarrell brown..
Originally posted by redmanc07:
They say you shouldn't grade a draft until it has been 3 seasons so we are looking at the 07 class here.

Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 11 Patrick Willis ILB Mississippi
1 28 Joe Staley OT Central Michigan
3 76 Jason Hill WR Washington State
3 97 Ray McDonald DE Florida
4 104 Jay Moore LB Nebraska
4 126 Dashon Goldson SAF Washington
4 135 Joe Cohen DT Florida
5 147 Tarell Brown CB Texas
6 186 Thomas Clayton RB Kansas State

I give it an A. We drafted a future HOF player in Willis. Not to mention a lot of people thought or wanted Carriker at the 11 spot. We have our starting LT or RT for over a decade. Hill has been productive at times but seems to not get on the field too often. Big Mac has an explosive first step and helps make our front 7 one of the best in the biz. Goldson really shined last season in his starting role. And no one could forget the Zone favorite Thomas Clayton!

We basically got 4 or 5 guys that can start for this time for years to come barring injury. What do you guys think

My grades based on what they did and where they were picked

Willis - Future HOF A+
Staley - Legit Tackle in the League A+
Hill - Career 4th or 5th string WR C-
McDonald - Solid player, will be in our rotation for years to come. B+
Moore - Waste of a pick F
Goldson - Breakout year last season, Starter A+
Cohen - Waste of a pick F
Brown - Solid depth DB A
Clayton - Waste of a pick C
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:14 PM ]
Excellent draft, no doubt. The only real whiff was Joe Cohen. Jay Moore never caught on, but I think injuries largely did him in.

Incredible value top to bottom.
[ Edited by CornellU49er on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:16 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Cohen - Waste of a pick F

I totally forgot (blocked out of my mind) we wasted a 4th rounder on him
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,347
I definately gave it an A.

Hits:

Patrick Willis is going to be the best middle linebacker in the history of the NFL as long as he stays healthy.

Joe Staley has been a starter from day one and has been a very good left tackle.

Jason Hill has been productive when given playing time but hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Ray McDonald is a key part of the 49ers pass rush which tied for third in the league for sacks last year.

Dashon Goldson has become a starter and still has the potential to grow into a very good safety.

Tarrell Brown is a great third or fourth corner and could possibly be a number two eventually.

Misses:

Jay Moore showed flashes of potential but couldn't stay healthy unfortunately.

Joe Cohen was a bust but he was a fourth rounder and the only one from this draft.

Thomas Clayton was a good pre-season runner but the coaches didn't think he was ready to play in the regular season.
People seem to forget that the niners traded away the next years one pick to get Staley. We could have had sedrick Elllis the following year or Ryan Clady.

Ryan Clady, Sedrick Ellis> Staley, so I gave it a C
Originally posted by 9erred:
People seem to forget that the niners traded away the next years one pick to get Staley. We could have had sedrick Elllis the following year or Ryan Clady.

Ryan Clady, Sedrick Ellis> Staley, so I gave it a C

Well those guys weren't until 2008. Maybe we don't take Clady next year anyway. Too much speculation. Plus who is to say Clady performs here like he does out there. They had a much better line coach than we had here
Originally posted by 9erred:
People seem to forget that the niners traded away the next years one pick to get Staley. We could have had sedrick Elllis the following year or Ryan Clady.

Ryan Clady, Sedrick Ellis> Staley, so I gave it a C

But if we hadn't traded that pick we never would have had Kentwan. Seriously though, that's a good point and it would lower the overall draft grade. Still, it was a pretty darn good draft.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,835
Patrick Willis is an ALL PRO Linebacker
Joe Staley- Is a solid starter at OT
Jason Hill-whenever he gets on the field he makes plays for us.
Dashon Goldson-another solid season and we will have to pay alot to keep him beyond 2010

Ray Mcdonald-situation pass rusher, if we were a 4-3 team he probably would be a solid starter for us.
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Originally posted by 9erred:
People seem to forget that the niners traded away the next years one pick to get Staley. We could have had sedrick Elllis the following year or Ryan Clady.

Ryan Clady, Sedrick Ellis> Staley, so I gave it a C

But if we hadn't traded that pick we never would have had Kentwan. Seriously though, that's a good point and it would lower the overall draft grade. Still, it was a pretty darn good draft.

We didn't HAVE to take Kentwan.
Don't want to beat the proverbial dead horse (actually I do), but we could have taken Sidney Rice. I really wanted us to draft him.
4 starters and a potential starter including a future hall of famer. solid A
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
My grades based on what they did and where they were picked

Willis - Future HOF A+
Staley - Legit Tackle in the League A+
Hill - Career 4th or 5th string WR C-
McDonald - Solid player, will be in our rotation for years to come. B+
Moore - Waste of a pick F
Goldson - Breakout year last season, Starter A+
Cohen - Waste of a pick F
Brown - Solid depth DB A
Clayton - Waste of a pick C

I heard Hill was starting for the Jags
Very strong draft. I even liked the Jay Moore pick even though he didn't pan out.