There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

With the 91st pick in the 2010 NFL draft...

• PaulW
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
For a late 3rd round pick, Bowman is excellent value. Do you all remember when Spikes was out last year and we had McKillop and Wilheim(sp) fail miserably for him?

There is a huge drop off from Spikes to McKillop. We needed someone to groom. Bowman is athletic enough to get to the ball carrier. Let's just hope he can shed blockers.

Whilhelm actually played pretty good.
I think we've gotten good value with all 4 of our picks, just not sure that Mays fits the type of safety we need.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Sing said he'll compete with McKillop at linebacker. He's got to be better than him.

He looks light years ahead of McKillop in term of athleticism and play making ability. McKillop was never the long term answer. He's more of a Jeff Ulbrich type of player.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he beats out McKillop for that backup spot.

Like anyone of you know what you are talking about.

McKillop is, and has always been a tackling machine. Nothing he has done would suggest he doesn't belong. Maybe somebody beats him out one day, but he is hardly wasting space
Originally posted by Mex49:
Sing said he'll compete with McKillop at linebacker. He's got to be better than him.

He looks light years ahead of McKillop in term of athleticism and play making ability. McKillop was never the long term answer. He's more of a Jeff Ulbrich type of player.

McKillop is, and has always been a tackling machine. Nothing he has done would suggest he doesn't belong. Maybe somebody beats him out one day, but he is hardly wasting space

Don't forget, Dereck Smith was a tackling machine too. Just that he would be making the tackle 5 yards passed his side of the LOS. McKillop has speed issues and is terrible in coverage.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Mex49:

Don't forget, Dereck Smith was a tackling machine too. Just that he would be making the tackle 5 yards passed his side of the LOS. McKillop has speed issues and is terrible in coverage.

You mean at the end of his 12 year carreer?

Before you go makng things up, you might want to take note that both McKillop and Bowman have identical numbers 6'.0" 245 lbs and both ran 4.70, and never mind Mckillop had a more productive college carreer.

Please dont let the facts get in the way of your bashing.

And lets not forget the TD Scott has against the Rams
Originally posted by Ahab:
Ang, you are a f**king c**t. I hope you die.

What the f**k? Dude that is a f**ked up picture, you need to not be a jerk and post crap like that. That is MESSED UP. Now I got that s**t burned into my brain. Thanks a lot guy.
meh, that's not so bad. Thanks Angel.
In an article by Todd McShay of ESPN today, he rates new 49er Navorro Bowman as his 5th best standout pick for the day. He said,

"5. Navorro Bowman, ILB, San Francisco (third round, No. 91) -- Bowman is a fist-round talent with outstanding instincts but a lack of discipline both on and off the field have gotten him into trouble. However, 49ers ILB Patrick Willis is one of the best linebackers and leaders in the league and if he can play big brother to Bowman they have a chance to become one of the best 3-4 inside linebacker tandems in the NFL."

It seems Bowman would have easily been a 1st or 2nd rounder had it not been for character concerns. However, it does indeed look like he is to be the heir apparent to Takeo Spikes at the TED position. It looks like the niners did better than I thought with this pick.

McShay on Bowman
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 24, 2010 at 3:18 AM ]
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I think we've gotten good value with all 4 of our picks, just not sure that Mays fits the type of safety we need.

I think he is exactly the type of safety we need. He excells in playing in the box, like Michael Lewis does. So he should be our "linebacker-saftety" and he will make the other teams think about going over the middle because of his hitting abilities. I think he fits in perfectly.
"Fist-round talent"... I actually like the sound of that.
Bowman is a freaking beast.
Draft keeps getting better and better
This guy seems to have a much higher ceiling that McKillop. Can't wait to see Willis and Bowman wreaking havoc in the middle
Two things:

1.) From everything I've read about Bowman, he has trouble disengaging from blocks, yet is an instinctive sideline-to-sideline player that moves to the ball. Sounds more like a backup Mike backer to me.

2.) McShay is a moron.

I like the Bowman pick, but I still think McKillop is Spikes' heir-apparent.
i hope that MS know what he is doing...another player with some character concerns...