There are 202 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If we're lucky enough to land Bulaga @ 13, who should we take @ 17? (Davis!)

The 'Spirited Mock' that NFLN held is the most accurate and likely I've seen thus far. In it, they have Bulaga falling to us at #13, probably the best-case scenario for the 49ers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817a6411&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

But i we're lucky enough to land Bulaga at 13, who should we take at 17?

Here is their mock:

1 - STL - QB Bradford
2 - DET - DT Suh
3 - TB - DR McCoy
4 - WAS - OT Williams
5 - KC - OT Okung
6 - SEA - S Berry
7 - CLE - WR Bryant
8 - OAL - DE Pierre-Paul
9 - BUF - QB Clausen
10- JAX - DE Morgan
11- DEN - LB McClain
12- MIA - OLB Kindle
13- SF - OT Bulaga
14- SEA - CB Haden
15- NYG - RB Spiller
16- TEN - DT Williams
17- SF - ???

What's left in the cupboard at 17:
OT Davis
OG/OT Iupati
OG/C Pouncey
S Thomas
CB Wilson
S Mays
DE Graham
OT Brown
CB Jackson

If I had the choice, I would go with Anthony Davis or Iupati. Here's why:

If you took Bulaga and Anthony Davis, you're virtually guaranteed that at least one of them will be a high-quality right tackle. In a worst-case scenario, you have two EXCELLENT, pro-bowl caliber guards. In the near-term, the winner of the RT competition plays RT, and the loser is your 3rd OT (behind the winner and Staley), and may even start at guard as a rookie.

Most people forget that Davis was a freshman all-american at guard in 2007 (along with Pouncey), and Bulaga started at guard his freshman year.

Look at our depth chart in that situation (assuming bulaga wins the job, and davis beats out Baas or Chilo at guard):

LT: Staley, Davis, Sims
LG: Davis, Baas
C: Heitmann, Wallace
RG: Baas, Rachal
RT: Bulaga, Davis, Sims

And if Bulaga beats out Davis, and Davis goes to guard, what better motivator for Davis than to win the tackle job? If properly motivated, Davis is a pro-bowl left tackle, Staley plays RT, and Bulaga is a pro-bowl guard!

We'll have an extremely high level of competition on the O-Line and massive depth. by 2011, we could have the ONE OF THE BEST offensive lines in the NFL.

This could work w/ Iupati as well, but his ability to convert to RT is limited -- so you're more likely to end up w/ a good RT and a good guard, or two really good guards in a worst-case scenario.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM ]
I would take Iupati in a heartbeat at 17. I'd split time between him and Baas, eventually replacing Baas (who never lived up to a 2nd rd pick, IIRC) after this season.

Then, in the first rd. (thanks to the Panthers), we solved both LG and RT immediately.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Iupati, if he's gone Pouncey.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
I would take Iupati in a heartbeat at 17. I'd split time between him and Baas, eventually replacing Baas (who never lived up to a 2nd rd pick, IIRC) after this season.

Then, in the first rd. (thanks to the Panthers), we solved both LG and RT immediately.

Why not Davis? I'm sure Davis would play Guard just as well as Iupati...
Originally posted by nickbradley:

No character or motor issues. Just straight mauler from day 1. You know what Iupati gives day in day out, not so much with Davis. I feel its the safer, smarter pick.
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Originally posted by j3xperience:

No character or motor issues. Just straight mauler from day 1. You know what Iupati gives day in day out, not so much with Davis. I feel its the safer, smarter pick.

I agree, we would have a dominant line but the thought of having Rachal and a rookie on one side scares the hell out of me.

Do you really know what you get w/ Iupati? He did play at Idaho after all.
Originally posted by cgida:

I agree, we would have a dominant line but the thought of having Rachal and a rookie on one side scares the hell out of me.

Well then you would pair Baas on the side of the Rookie and put Davis (or Bulaga) on Staley's side.
Originally posted by cgida:

Me too but it can't be any worse than Snyder......... unless Kwame decides to give up culinary school and give it a go.

Yeah, that's pretty much my reasons, too.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Iupati, if he's gone Pouncey.

This

Do you really know what you get w/ Iupati? He did play at Idaho after all.

You don't. But that's true for all prospects coming into the draft. You don't know how they will play against men. There have been almost NO sure things in the NFL. You are taking boys and pitting them against men, for all we know Iupati could flop or he could do well. He played at a small school, yes, but that doesn't take away his ability. Look at Jerry Rice. By that reasoning, you would of taken a WR from a bigger name school? I don't think so. Look how Rashaun Woods turned out. The list goes on and on, the name of the school doesn't mean anything, it's how well you think the prospect can turn out, and with his motor and off the field issues, Davis loses the toss up between him and Iupati. Plus Iupati was built to play guard, Davis is built to play tackle.
I think they will take Davis over Bulaga if they are both on the board. And I would take Pouncey, then Graham, then Wilson. I think the Eagles would want to trade up for Thomas also if he were still there. Davis is young and has a work ethic problem and not any character or criminal issues. I mean what 20 year old doesn't need to work harder at whatever it is they are doing.
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:40 AM ]
Where is Bruce Campbell on the list?
Awesome, lets draft an OT in the middle 1st round with his intentions to be a backup!

Give me Thomas, Grahan or Wilson from that list. Iupati I can also hop on board with