There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Clausen Propaganda Machine is Going Into Overdrive

Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

so what happens if Alex fails next year?

Then draft Locker or Luck next year, but not Clausen.

You really think the 49ers are going to be in position to draft that high next year? Because if those guys are so good, they'll go top 5.

Locker may end up being a mid-first rounder, with Luck and Mallett coming out -- both of those guys could go #1 overall. Terrelle Pryor, Pat Devlin, and Nick Foles are all first round talents as well
Taking Clausen is by far the stupidest thing we could do. We are on the verge of making the playoffs in a WIDE OPEN division! Instead of getting two impact players, we are actually considering trading both of our picks to draft a QB (who I personally am not high on at all) who won't even start this year! This just reeks of bad management and ownership. Jed clearly has a man crush on Clausen because they both went to ND. Truthfully, I feel bad for Alex Smith...this organization has just f**ked with him constantly, even after he puts up good numbers.
Quote:
Chances like this do not come around often. The Carolina deal last year gave the 49ers the ammo to get the one premium guy they need to secure the future.

I remember last year after the draft there was a HUGE write-up at ninersnation.com stating that was the exact reason we made the trade -- to have the ammo to get a QB (Bradford at the time).
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
I don't have a crystal ball with which to see Clausen. However, the basic strategy Tim K suggests is a good one; if you are not certain your current QB is the long-term guy, then the ammo you have with 13 & 17 is enough to get the guy who WILL be the long term guy.

Over the years, franchise QBs are taken very high in the draft. Yes, there are some exceptions but they are just that; exceptions.

I have long suggested Smith should get a chance behind a solid line, with targets to throw to, and an OC that is the same from one year to the next. Well, he had that last year, and was better than in the past but I am not convinced he is the long-term answer...yet. He may prove to be, however, as I sit here right now, if I WERE convinced that Clausen was the guy, and I'm not saying he isn't, then I would pull the trigger and make certain I have the future franchise QB. Smith had a fair chance last year but I don't think even Singletary is convinced yet that he is the long-term solution.

Chances like this do not come around often. The Carolina deal last year gave the 49ers the ammo to get the one premium guy they need to secure the future.

If I am Baalke, I talk to some clubs drafting in the top 7, and see if they are willing to deal on draft day. If they are, I sit tight to see what happens to the top OTs. If all three of the big names go early, I make the deal for Clausen and get a 2nd in exchange and then go for the second tier OT in the second round. The 49ers don't need to spend LT value for a RT. Trading up for a RT is NOT a good value but it would be for a QB that they think is the future.

One way or the other, Smith will be the QB for 2010. The question is; if Smith leaves after 2010, for whatever reason, would you be confident with David Carr and Nate Davis as the potential starters for 2011, OR would you prefer to have Jimmy Clausen in the mix. REMEMBER, all this assumes they get the RT they need in the second round, which I believe is doable.

I too agree with that concept in general. However, you have to really believe in that young QB to give up those picks for him...the more you look into Clausen, the less you are likely to be convinced that he's worth giving up two mid-1st rounders for.

There's a reason Shanahan (who knows QBs) pushed hard to grab the veteran McNabb, knowing that there was a high probability that Clausen would be there for them at #4. Clearly he felt he was better off taking his chances with a 33 year-old veteran rather than this supposed "blue-chip" QB out of Notre Dame.

That's not saying Clausen is terrible...it's more about value. Is Clausen REALLY a top-10 type of QB? Is he even a top 20 QB? There are a lot of people who see Clausen as more of a 2nd rounder, possibly closer to Colt McCoy than he is SM Bradford.

So to give up 2 1st rounder for someone who (IMO) really isn't worth it, seems both stupid and reckless.
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?
I don't disagree with your thinking. My concern is that I don't allow the fact I made a mistake in the past to prevent me from making a move that will secure the future.

While I admit to not having enough time to fully evaluate Clausen, I do believe he is MUCH more pro-ready than was Smith. In fact, Clausen might be more ready to operate out of the I-formation right now than is Smith. That is not to say I would start him over Smith, rather it is just to say picking Clausen now is quite a bit different that drafting Smith who hadn't played in the I.

My concern, as I noted above is; what happens if Smith makes a modest improvement again this year but is still clearly not the answer? How long will it take to get another shot at a quality QB?

I don't like the answer to either of those questions.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
10-1 (according to Tim K's scenario) We'll be trading our #13 + #17 to Cleveland for their #7 + #38.

With those picks we'd be drafting Jimmy Clausin (of course), and possibly Charles Brown from USC in the 2nd round, if did that, that be f**king awesome.

This is why Scot traded down the 2nd last season with Carolina, for either combing both to move up for a high-pick talent in this year's draft, or trade one of them back. I just don't honestly think the 49ers expected to land 2 picks between the 10-20 spot, so now they seriously have to conjure the salary issue, and the WHAT-IF one of them holds out again, since this might be the last year of the rookie salary cap? Seriously.

New Owner + new coach usually = new QB. You do the math, this scenario was long overdue.

Why trade up for him? You scared the Bills will take him at 9?

It's not about who will take him, it's about who will trade him out (to possibly the Vikings, or a 3-way deal) before the #13 spot.

This is why the 49ers are willing to sell the house to move up to #7 cause I'm 100% sure Holmgren is going to trade that spot out to the highest bidder (cause 1. Mike doesn't like 1st round QBs, and 2. the Bill Walsh Blood runs thick within him).

I can see your point if it's for a Locker or Luck, but not for Clausen. Is he that much better than Alex or Carr? Just because he came from Nortre Dame, Jed is going to give away our first round for him? Big mistake if you ask me.

Unbelievable.

You really think the 49ers are going to be in position to draft that high next year? Because if those guys are so good, they'll go top 5.

Between Locker, Mallet, Luck and Devlin, someone good will very likely be available if Alex Smith falters this year.

I hope those guys pan out.....They were saying what a great QB class '10 was going to be with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow.

I'd take any of those guys over Clausen any day of the week.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

Unbelievable.

Take a QB in the deepest QB class since 1999...or 1983.

who are the top dog's for next year draft anyways?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140490&highlight=nickbradley

Potential First Round Prospects:

Andrew Luck, Stanford
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

Jake Locker, Washington
Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State
Pat Devlin, Delaware
Nick Foles, Arizona

Some have called Andy Luck the best NFL QB prospect since Peyton Manning (and as smart and polished), and Mallett (6-7, 250 jeff george-caliber arm) may be a once-a-decade type prospect as well...and Jake Locker is no slouch (Neither is Devlin, and Pryor could light up the combine like we've never seen). We could see 5 or 6 QB go in the first round next year...maybe seven.

those are my 2 guys i would rather have then Clausen

here's a little over view of Mr Clausen from Draft Ace
"Will dance in the pocket and rush his throws when consistently pressured; makes too many mistakes due to losing his mechanics in these situations. Has a reputation of being a me-first player; not the attitude you want in a franchise quarterback. Maturity may be a concern."

Physically, Clausen has the tools to be an elite quarterback and should be a top 10-15 pick. Due to his three years of experience in Notre Dame's pro-style offense he may be the most NFL-ready quarterback in this year's draft class. However, some teams may be concerned with his maturity level and his dedication to the team. This is something teams will pay close attention to in interviews and each team's opinion will be vary. Some quarterbacks who enter the league with these concerns grow out of it (Dan Marino), those who don't rarely reach their full potential (Jay Cutler, J.P. Losman).

so do we really want to draft a guy with those type of issues?
[ Edited by Tru2RedNGold25 on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM ]
Just get the draft over with already. Im tired of all this not knowing
WTF is wrong with everyone?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why would we draft a QB when we are in contention now? We could get 2 starters out of these 2 picks, in our weak areas. And QB is not one of them.

SMOKE SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable.

Between Locker, Mallet, Luck and Devlin, someone good will very likely be available if Alex Smith falters this year.

I hope those guys pan out.....They were saying what a great QB class '10 was going to be with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow.

The difference is that the 2011 class all play in pro-style offenses, not gimmicky spread offenses.

6 ft 7 in mallett has an arm on par with a Bledsoe or Jeff George...Luck is simply amazing (some are calling him the best prospect since Manning).

The real QB who flopped out for '10 was Snead...Bradford is right where he was projected, and McCoy is a spread QB.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Say we actually draft Clausen, what will your reaction be?

Depends on where we took him

Here are my possible reactions:

- If we traded up for him: angry

- If we took him at #13: content

- If we took him at #17: mildly excited

Question; Would you have been "angry" if they would have moved up to grap Sanchez at #5?

NO to hotdog Sanchez!!! i rather have Nate Davis....
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Say we actually draft Clausen, what will your reaction be?

Depends on where we took him

Here are my possible reactions:

- If we traded up for him: angry

- If we took him at #13: content

- If we took him at #17: mildly excited

Question; Would you have been "angry" if they would have moved up to grap Sanchez at #5?

NO to hotdog Sanchez!!! i rather have Nate Davis....

WTF has Nate Davis ever done for you to even say that.

Unbelievable.

I'd take any of those guys over Clausen any day of the week.

I'd take a chance with Clausen over Alex Smith any day of the week.