LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

Niners23 FINAL mock

Alright, so after a lot of deliberation, I think I've finally settled on a final version of my mock. Although I think trades may be a big factor in this draft, I've opted to not put any trades in. Also, keep in mind that this is how I feel the 49ers will draft, not necessarily how I would pick if I ran the draft. So, here goes:

1(13):
Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers - This was a really hard decision between Charles Brown and Davis. If I were the GM, I would take Brown; however, I get the distinct impression that the niners and Singletary will feel that Davis can be reformed and made into a stud tackle.

1(17):
Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho - It was very very hard to me to choose between Iupati and Earl Thomas here. The two things that made me pick Iupati is 1.) I'm beginning to feel that Thomas won't be available at 17 and 2.) I think the niners will feel that there is sufficient depth at the Safety position in this draft, but not as much in the guard position, so they will look to grab a safety later.

2(49): Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, Indiana (PA.) - Akwasi is a guy who has been flying up draft boards recently, and I don't think he'll last through the 2nd round, so the niners will grab him here as Baalke said they'll make sure to get their guy. He provides an insurance policy on Ginn since he's also a sensational returner, and can immediately help in the nickle packages while he tries to work his way up to ladder. If he weren't from a small school, I think he would be considered the top CB in this draft.

3(79): Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida - I realize some people think it's too early for Spikes, but from what I've been hearing, he will not make it out of the 3rd round. Remember, he used to be a popular pick for the niners in the 2nd before he ran at his pro-day. However, for a 3-4 TED backer, he doesn't necessarily need speed. Plus, his competitiveness, fire and instincts just make him a good football player, and not just a workout warrior. Good football players always find a way to contribute.

4(113): Myron Lewis, S, Vanderbilt - There's some debate about Lewis as technically he was a CB in college. However, his height (6'1 5/8") and speed (4.45s 40 at the combine) just scream FS to me, and some other NFL observers. I think this guy has the potential to become a phenomenal safety, and that's evidenced by his draft rise in recent weeks. He's gone from a 6th to 7th rounder to a 4th rounder, and may still be climbing. I think as far as ballhawk safeties, he's the BPA at this pick.

6(182): Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina - This guy just screams 3-4 DE, and he may be one of the great steals of this draft. He has ridiculously long arms (37 3/4") and has the size and weight (6'7 1/2" 300 lbs) that would be ideal for a 3-4 DE. He will drop a bit due to character concerns as he was arrested and suspended; however, I think that this will only inspire the niners and Singletary to covet him more since once again they will feel that Sing can reform the kid. Talent wise, he has it all, but he just needs to get his head together.

6(206): George Selvie, OLB, South Florida: Selvie is a small school guy who has a big school motor and fire. He has a nonstop motor and work ethic that the coaches will love and never quits on a play. He also was shown to be a very dangerous pass-rusher. In 2007 he recorded 14.5 sacks, but the numbers dimished in subsequent years because he was double teamed almost every play. However, he still managed to get to the quarterback and cause havoc even with two guys on him. He has the size (6'4 3/8" and 252lbs) to play OLB in a 3-4, plus he has no problem laying his body on the line to stop the run game. He's also a solid tackler and terrific team leader.

7(224): Rashawn Jackson, FB, Virginia - It's no secret that Norris isn't what he was in 2006. Jackson is a big body (6'1" 239lbs) that is a good blocker, while still being very versatile as a FB. In 2009 he rushed for 461 yards with a 4.8 ypc and caught the ball for another 222 yards. Once again, this is a player who may have gone higher, but will fall as he faced some problems with the law. However, he has the prototypical size for a lead FB and can fill in where Norris left off.

Let me know what you guys think! I'm very excited for the draft on Thursday, and I think this is a big make-or-break draft for the future of this organization.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:52 AM ]
I just wanted to add some things behind my reasoning for some of these picks. I still believe that the draft board was mainly formed under McCloughan, and I don't think it has changed much since the niners really didn't want to throw their entire draft philosophy up in the air with a month before the draft.

Having said that, I still feel that size and speed will be big pluses for prospects the niners want to draft. Nearly all of the guys I've picked, are bigger football players, like McCloghan, and most likely Baalke want. Not all of them have the stellar speed, such as Spikes, but that's where the film comes into play, and a guy like Spikes looks great on film. Also, I think the 49ers will not just be comfortable taking guys with some character/law problems, but Singletary may influence Baalke to almost seek out some of these guys. However, I believe the compromise will be that the high risk, high reward players, with the exception of Davis, will mostly be late rounders such as Geathers and Jackson. Singletary is best equipped to handle their personalities and perhaps imbue upon them what he helped Brooks, Davis and Boone achieve.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 20, 2010 at 4:01 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like the first four picks, looks good.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 20, 2010 at 4:19 AM ]
Will Selvie last that long?
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
What a waste of drafting a guard with a 17th pick.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I think our OL would be mighty fine :)
Originally posted by Niners23:
Alright, so after a lot of deliberation, I think I've finally settled on a final version of my mock. Although I think trades may be a big factor in this draft, I've opted to not put any trades in. Also, keep in mind that this is how I feel the 49ers will draft, not necessarily how I would pick if I ran the draft. So, here goes:

1(13):
Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers - This was a really hard decision between Charles Brown and Davis. If I were the GM, I would take Brown; however, I get the distinct impression that the niners and Singletary will feel that Davis can be reformed and made into a stud tackle.

1(17):
Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho - It was very very hard to me to choose between Iupati and Earl Thomas here. The two things that made me pick Iupati is 1.) I'm beginning to feel that Thomas won't be available at 17 and 2.) I think the niners will feel that there is sufficient depth at the Safety position in this draft, but not as much in the guard position, so they will look to grab a safety later.

2(49): Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, Indiana (PA.) - Akwasi is a guy who has been flying up draft boards recently, and I don't think he'll last through the 2nd round, so the niners will grab him here as Baalke said they'll make sure to get their guy. He provides an insurance policy on Ginn since he's also a sensational returner, and can immediately help in the nickle packages while he tries to work his way up to ladder. If he weren't from a small school, I think he would be considered the top CB in this draft.

3(79): Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida - I realize some people think it's too early for Spikes, but from what I've been hearing, he will not make it out of the 3rd round. Remember, he used to be a popular pick for the niners in the 2nd before he ran at his pro-day. However, for a 3-4 TED backer, he doesn't necessarily need speed. Plus, his competitiveness, fire and instincts just make him a good football player, and not just a workout warrior. Good football players always find a way to contribute.

4(113): Myron Lewis, S, Vanderbilt - There's some debate about Lewis as technically he was a CB in college. However, his height (6'1 5/8") and speed (4.45s 40 at the combine) just scream FS to me, and some other NFL observers. I think this guy has the potential to become a phenomenal safety, and that's evidenced by his draft rise in recent weeks. He's gone from a 6th to 7th rounder to a 4th rounder, and may still be climbing. I think as far as ballhawk safeties, he's the BPA at this pick.

6(182): Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina - This guy just screams 3-4 DE, and he may be one of the great steals of this draft. He has ridiculously long arms (37 3/4") and has the size and weight (6'7 1/2" 300 lbs) that would be ideal for a 3-4 DE. He will drop a bit due to character concerns as he was arrested and suspended; however, I think that this will only inspire the niners and Singletary to covet him more since once again they will feel that Sing can reform the kid. Talent wise, he has it all, but he just needs to get his head together.

6(206): George Selvie, OLB, South Florida: Selvie is a small school guy who has a big school motor and fire. He has a nonstop motor and work ethic that the coaches will love and never quits on a play. He also was shown to be a very dangerous pass-rusher. In 2007 he recorded 14.5 sacks, but the numbers dimished in subsequent years because he was double teamed almost every play. However, he still managed to get to the quarterback and cause havoc even with two guys on him. He has the size (6'4 3/8" and 252lbs) to play OLB in a 3-4, plus he has no problem laying his body on the line to stop the run game. He's also a solid tackler and terrific team leader.

7(224): Rashawn Jackson, FB, Virginia - It's no secret that Norris isn't what he was in 2006. Jackson is a big body (6'1" 239lbs) that is a good blocker, while still being very versatile as a FB. In 2009 he rushed for 461 yards with a 4.8 ypc and caught the ball for another 222 yards. Once again, this is a player who may have gone higher, but will fall as he faced some problems with the law. However, he has the prototypical size for a lead FB and can fill in where Norris left off.

Let me know what you guys think! I'm very excited for the draft on Thursday, and I think this is a big make-or-break draft for the future of this organization.

If we already have a OT drafted and we want another OL, why not Pouncey Instead?
Great Mock! I would switch out the 7th rounder for a CB since we already have Brit Miller and Jehuu Caulcrick at FB
Originally posted by kstolai:
Will Selvie last that long?

MadDog49er currently has him ranked 231 on his board of where he's expected to fall, so yeah I think it's possible he'll be there. He's a small school guy and he'll drop since his numbers the last 2 years weren't very good. However, if you look at how he plays through double teams, you can see why. No-brainer pick if he's there imo.

Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
What a waste of drafting a guard with a 17th pick.

I think Thomas will be off the board as well as Dan Williams, Dez Bryant, Spiller, Morgan and JPP. Really, the only person who may be left is Brandon Graham. However, the thing is, Iupati is the best OG prospect to come out since Hutchinson. While I don't feel he is quite at Hutchinson's level coming out, I think he's just one notch below. The niners obviously don't feel Baas is the future since they tendered him to only a 3rd round level.

I get the feeling that Sing is borderline obsessed with the OL at the moment, and he will put the pressure on to completely shore up the line to his standards. While Graham would also be a good pick, I think the niners want to see what they have with Brooks for another season before committing a high 1st rounder to an OLB. Lastly, I believe this draft is exceptionally deep except in terms of QB, OL and RB; therefore the niners will opt to take positions in which there is a steep drop from the 1st round picks to later ones, and OL definitely fits that bill.

Originally posted by nickbradley:
If we already have a OT drafted and we want another OL, why not Pouncey Instead?

I think if you compare Pouncey and Iupati at the OG position, Iupati is still the better prospect. Heitmann still has 3-4 years left in him, as Centers usually can play until late in their careers, heck look at Mawae at 39. So, in terms of where he would be utilized, I think Iupati is the superior choice.

Originally posted by eastbay49er:
Great Mock! I would switch out the 7th rounder for a CB since we already have Brit Miller and Jehuu Caulcrick at FB

Yeah, I thought about someone other than a FB, and if I had to redo it, I would probably do more research on late round NT prospects, and see who may be available. However, I think Norris is on the decline, and Jackson is actually a really great talent who will fall due to character concerns, and I think the niners will be more apt to take the "problem guys" in later rounds and give Sing something to work with.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM ]
This year is really tough. As "unsexy" as it is to draft 2 OL in the top 20 picks of a draft I think this is EXACTLY what we need to do. This game is won in the trenches, and just look at the running games that have followed "just a guard" in players like "Hutch" and Larry Allen. I like these picks..I'd be happy.

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I think our OL would be mighty fine :)
Originally posted by Syxton:
This year is really tough. As "unsexy" as it is to draft 2 OL in the top 20 picks of a draft I think this is EXACTLY what we need to do. This game is won in the trenches, and just look at the running games that have followed "just a guard" in players like "Hutch" and Larry Allen. I like these picks..I'd be happy.

Yeah, I think the interesting thing about this draft is that there isn't a lot of top-tier talent. For better or for worse, the real talent value is found later in the rounds. So, I think we take the positions in the first round which have a larger drop-off in talent after the 1st round, and that's definitely the OL. I really struggled with picking 2 OL in the first; however, most mocks have us taking an OG and an OT anyways, so why not get the best 2 we can and give our QB the best possible chance to win?
good job noob! I endorse this!
2/2 here so far with my mock. Not exactly since I didn't predict trades, but close enough, same players!
Excellent Mock!!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone