There are 281 users in the forums

Joe Haden is Horribly Overrated

Hayden (MAY) be the best corner in this draft but still not worth #13 or #17. It depends how the board is stacked!
  • lynwood49ers
  • Info N/A
Haden scares me also...
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Niners23:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
No he isn't. Dude shut down LaFell and Gilyard this year. Plus he ran a much better 40 at his pro day after recovering from his back injury. He's not undersized either, he's nearly 5'11'' and there are plenty of CBs in the NFL 5'11''. Nate Clements was considered big and physical and he's only 5'10''. Shawntae Spencer is 6'0''. Asante Samuel is like 5'10''. Size certainly helps but he's not undersized like a Tarel Brown or Dre Bly(5'9'') and he's not slow.

Clements is 6'0"
Clements at NFL.com

Yeah he's listed at 6'0'' but when talking about our CBs before Sing said that Nate is under 6'0'' and he's listed there generally. Most players heights are in shoes/cleats and rounding up. Just look at what they do in the NBA. I'm sticking to what I said, he's not a huge corner. In shoes Haden is going to be pretty much the same height.

What?!? That's crazy! I always thought he was like 5'9"

That's because he almost is lol.
I agree. Too much of a Clements clone and we don't need anymore of him getting burned.

Eric Davis knows better than any of us....HE DOESN'T HAVE THE QUICK TWITCH needed to be a shut down CB and you can see it.

Earl Thomas or Kyle Wilson is the best choice for us. PURE ballhawks!!!
[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
I like Wilson from Boise St. if we trade down, I just see him becoming a better corner in this league than Haden. I wouldn't mind either of them

Wilson has a reputation as being soft in run support and not a very good tackler. If that is the case, then I can't see us drafting him.

U can teach that.

Cant teach quickness.
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
I agree. Too much of a Clements clone and we don't need anymore of him getting burned.

Eric Davis knows better than any of us....HE DOESN'T HAVE THE QUICK TWITCH needed to be a shut down CB and you can see it.

Earl Thomas or Kyle Wilson is the best choice for us. PURE ballhawks!!!

lol But how do you know Eric Davis has watched much of Haden??? Dude shut down Gilyard, AJ Green, Julio Jones, LaFell, etc. He was lock down this year. If our scouts like him that's enough for me.
I agree.

How long do teams have to make ther picks in the first round this year? 12 or 10 minutes?
Then I'd say the scouts are seeing things you're not...he's the best all-around CB...covers well, has excellent closing speed, is a tough, determined tackler. He's a young Nate Clements...and that's an excellent value pick. If we come out of the 1st rd w/Haden and best OT, Singletary will be absolutely thrilled...
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Having previously been against drafting Haden, I actually am warming up to the idea.
Yahoo Sports, Charles Robinson says that some teams like Kyle Wilson more than Haden. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsE3BXhnkB78lvIGBhIdxbJDubYF?slug=cr-inconvenienttruths041910

Quote:
4. Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson will be the first cornerback drafted
All the public talk has been about Florida’s Joe Haden, but Wilson has the major personnel buzz. Teams love his speed and athleticism, and believe the few kinks in his game can be ironed out with coaching. And unlike Haden, personnel departments think Wilson hasn’t touched his full potential. He had a very good Senior Bowl and raised some eyebrows. And in the interviewing process, he comes off as confident, if not a little feisty. Don’t be shocked if he’s plucked inside the top 10.

I've heard Cleveland is the team that likes him.

Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
um pretty sure our scouts did their homework. they will know if or not to pick him up.

Yeah cause scouts never screw up!
Id prefer a safety over a corner. But if we do take one I would like Wilson over Haden. In the few games I watched of Florida I thought Jenkins was the best corner on the field IMO.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
so as long as the scouts do their homework they are guaranteed not to draft busts? Dammit why didnt our scouts do their homework on Reggie McGrew, Mike Rumph, Rashaun Woods, Kentwan Balmer

you do realize only one of the names you mentioned was drafted by the current scouting department, right?
...and i'd say we should give k.balmer until midseason this year before we bring in the verdict as transitioning to play as a 34DL is reputably very tricky takes time. yes, i would like to have seen something more from him so far, but i just think it's a little early to say balmer is a bust.

So for this 49ers draft, if they do their homework they are guaranteed not to be busts? hahahaha most absurd thing i have heard
Haden's not a bad player, but the questions to ask are (1) just because he's rated the best CB in this draft class, does that mean he's #13 worthy? (2) does SF really need a 1st round CB that badly when considering other needs and likely availabilities?
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
I like Wilson from Boise St. if we trade down, I just see him becoming a better corner in this league than Haden. I wouldn't mind either of them

Agree
Share 49ersWebzone