There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade down the 17th pick for an extra 2nd round pick!!!

Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by LA49erFan4ever:
im done with this team trading down..almost 4 straight years of that BS and we ended up we scrubs..no thanks..only two ways to go..stay put or go up

What? When have we traded back in the last four years? I remember us trading UP to get Manny Lawson, trading UP to get Joe Staley, and trading UP from last year's 2nd round pick to get this year's first. When did we trade back?

That being said, I think the 17th pick will be a great place to trade back; San Diego is looking for a RB, Minn will probably want a QB, and other teams might fall in love with guys and want to trade up to get them. The idea of drafting Taylor Mays is stupid, but trading back and getting a guy like Pouncey and adding an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick? Perfect.

What nearly everyone seems to forget is that you need a trading partner, and in a deep draft only one of the stupid teams will trade up, unless it's a team just one player away from the SuperBowl, and a someone ahead of them in the draft also wants the player they need. You can observe what a smart team (NE) did in stockpiling second round picks in this draft...there's lots of value there.

I can see us trading up in the second round (lots of potential trading partners in that case) to get a player we covet, but I just don't see a trading back deal likely in the first.
I also think a trade down is a great possibility; however I think the best value is in trading the 13th pick. The reason is that the top 3 OT will certainly be gone by #13 with the next tier of OT available at #17 (Davis, Campbell, Brown, Saffold). We can trade #13 for a lower first round pick plus more.

I posted a mock with a trade scenario with the Eagles. They are in need of a pass rusher badly. I think they would be willing to trade to get someone like Morgan. I think Morgan will be available at #13.

Here is my mock: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140028&highlight=mock
Of course it always depends on what players are where as to position and value, but Philosophically, I for one am against it this year simply because of what we did last year to put ourselves in this positon, that is we Already gave up a mid# 2 anda 4 th rounder to get to #17 in the first round. Say,If we trade back from # 17 into the late first for a extra second round choice then in my mind,i t's a wash. We end up back where started last year. I realize how much deeper this years class is but it's still always a crap shoot.I just don't want the FO to out think ourselves. As many of the good people on this site say " Let the draft come to us", it'll pay off in the long run.
I see what you are saying Highway; however, you can not let what we did yesterday affect what we do today. Yesterday, we thought we would get a top 10 pick from the Panthers, but they got smart and benched Jake Delhomme.

Yesterday we thought we would have our choice of OT (Davis, Bulaga, & Williams).

Yesterday we thought that Anthony Davis was the #2 OT behind Okung.

Things have changed. So do we stay where we are at and let the draft "come to us"? I don't think so. If we do, then who do we take at #13? Haden? What if we can get Kyle Wilson in a trade down? What would you choose if you could have Haden OR Wilson AND Asamoah/Pouncey/Allen/Best/Hughes/Tate/Jerry/Saffold? Plus we still have our #49.

Of course, if one of the OT's fall to us then we take him at #13. I think this is what 90% of us fans want. But, like many have said, if the top OT's are off the board, then we have to try and shop #13.
Originally posted by lynwood49ers:
I say we trade down the 17th pick and draft Taylor Mays and have some extra picks in the 2nd round...

mays = championship ...
Originally posted by joey82:
Do you realize that we would probably have to trade down to at least the 30s for a team to give us a second round pick?

We could still walk away with our 13th pick, Jerry Hughes and have 2 2nd rounders as well.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 18, 2010 at 12:09 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by joey82:
Do you realize that we would probably have to trade down to at least the 30s for a team to give us a second round pick?

We could still walk away with our 13th pick, Jerry Hughes and have 2 2nd rounders as well.

I would LOVE that too, but who do we pick at #13?

Who trades with us to take #17, and what picks do we get?

If we can not get Brandon Graham, I would love to get Jerry Hughes.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by LA49erFan4ever:
im done with this team trading down..almost 4 straight years of that BS and we ended up we scrubs..no thanks..only two ways to go..stay put or go up

What? When have we traded back in the last four years? I remember us trading UP to get Manny Lawson, trading UP to get Joe Staley, and trading UP from last year's 2nd round pick to get this year's first. When did we trade back?

That being said, I think the 17th pick will be a great place to trade back; San Diego is looking for a RB, Minn will probably want a QB, and other teams might fall in love with guys and want to trade up to get them. The idea of drafting Taylor Mays is stupid, but trading back and getting a guy like Pouncey and adding an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick? Perfect.

What nearly everyone seems to forget is that you need a trading partner, and in a deep draft only one of the stupid teams will trade up, unless it's a team just one player away from the SuperBowl, and a someone ahead of them in the draft also wants the player they need. You can observe what a smart team (NE) did in stockpiling second round picks in this draft...there's lots of value there.

I can see us trading up in the second round (lots of potential trading partners in that case) to get a player we covet, but I just don't see a trading back deal likely in the first.

Teams trade up for all sorts of reasons. NE has 4 or 5 second round picks this year, but maybe they only need three higher end players for their roster so they bundle them and move up. Teams also become so enamored with players that they are willing to grab them ahead of others. True, we would need to find a trading partner, but the 13th and 17th picks will be interesting ground for other teams. Claussen might be available for a team that wants a QB, or perhaps a team will value one of the pass rushers enough to come up and grab them. You never know what teams might be willing to do when the clock starts!
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I see what you are saying Highway; however, you can not let what we did yesterday affect what we do today. Yesterday, we thought we would get a top 10 pick from the Panthers, but they got smart and benched Jake Delhomme.

Yesterday we thought we would have our choice of OT (Davis, Bulaga, & Williams).

Yesterday we thought that Anthony Davis was the #2 OT behind Okung.

Things have changed. So do we stay where we are at and let the draft "come to us"? I don't think so. If we do, then who do we take at #13? Haden? What if we can get Kyle Wilson in a trade down? What would you choose if you could have Haden OR Wilson AND Asamoah/Pouncey/Allen/Best/Hughes/Tate/Jerry/Saffold? Plus we still have our #49.

Of course, if one of the OT's fall to us then we take him at #13. I think this is what 90% of us fans want. But, like many have said, if the top OT's are off the board, then we have to try and shop #13.

I hear you also, I just hope we stay on track with our draft board. If we need to move up or down let's just make sure it's a well thought out "Calculated Risk"..And yes I think Haden would be fine at #13,to me he's a good CB and a sure fire starter.
Probably maybe could trade with New England. They have three second round picks.
we could keep the 13 to get a talented OT or hayden or thomas but 17 we could trade back to get a cb a few spots later.

one way to go is to get the best OT available at 13 and if thomas is not there a 17 get iupati....that would solidify the worst part of our team and improve it for years to come......we could always get a safety and cb in the 2nd 3rd rounds