LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

stevers final mock this year - 1st round and all the niners picks

I made a full mock for the first 3 rounds, but decided to put down the first 17 picks here with comments. After that, i included the niner picks :

1 Rams S.Bradford

This decision seems to be obvious right now. Bradford is the #1 qb and the rams seem to be set in taking a qb

2 Lions N.Suh

Okung would make a lot of sense here, but Suh seems to be the favorite here now. All the signs point to the lions signing him

3 Buccs G.McCoy

No brainer. If Suh is there, they take Suh, if not they take McCoy.

4 Redskins R.Okung

After the McNabb trade this one is set, too. There is no LT on the roster and Okung is the best one available

5 Chiefs B.Bulaga

The first harder pick. Will they address their biggest need, which is OT (and move Brandon Albert to guard and improve 2 positions) or will they
select the best player available in Eric Berry ? I think they will value the OT higher.

6 Seahawks C.Spiller

CJ Spiller is an impact player for a team that does not have a running game now. They could go Berry here, or they could go OT, but Spiller is too good to pass here as a great player on a need position.

7 Browns E.Berry

Cartwheel time for the Browns. One of the 3 best players in this draft at #7 filling a real need. No brainer

8 Raiders T.Williams

The raider need an OT or a QB, but i think Al Davis will give Russel another chance. He can get an OT here who ran really fast at the combine and who is projected in the top 10 so the pick will be Williams

9 Bills J.Clausen

I don't think Clausen will drop further than to the bills. Who needs an OT (who would be a slight reach here) if you have nobody to protect ?

10 Jaguars D.Bryant

The biggest need would be a safety, but Earl Thomas is a little bit high here. So why not address another need position with a WR who is a top 5 player talent wise ?

11 Broncos R.Mcclain

With Bryant gone and an interior linemen a reach here, they Broncos go bpa and takes the the future leader of their defense. McClain will be a great player filling a need

12 Dolphins B.Graham

After the Marshall trade, the Dolphins biggest need is a pass rusher. The best pass rusher in this draft for a 3-4 defense is Brandon Graham.

13 49ers J.Haden
It is Haden or Thomas here. OT would be a slight reach and i really have concerns about Davis' motivation when he gets paid. I think the niners will pick Haden over Thomas because he played cornerback. Thomas could play corner, too, but i don't think they will draft a player who switches positions in round 1. I think the safety need will be addressed next year if Lewis and/or Taylor don't take a big step forward this year.

14 Seahawks D.Morgan

The Hawks are in the same position as the niners regarding taking an OT here. I think they won't for the same reasons as the niners. They have a big need at DE, too and a real good DE is available in Derrick Morgan. Very good value here for a 4-3 defense

15 Giants D.Williams

With Mcclain gone, this pick should be Weatherspoon or Williams. The giants like good DT's to much to pass here, so Williams will be the pick

16 Titans J.Pierre-Paul

No brainer : Best pass rusher in this draft for a 4-3 defense who really needs a pass rusher.

17 49ers M.Iupati

In the best scenario, this would be a trade down here. Trade down a few spots and take Charles Brown or Iuapati. But with no trades, this is between Iuapti, Thomas and an OT. I explained earlier, why i think the niners will not pick Thomas (especially if the went CB with the 1st pick). In this mock this pick has to be Iuapati or an OT. Who do you take ? Reach for a guy who is a LT only when you have a LT on your roster who is payed like an LT, take a guy who had some motivational problems before or take the best guard available, who looks like a future probowler on this position and who could project to RT ? I take the sure pick at guard

Here is the rest of the 1st round and the 1st half of the 2nd round:

18 Steelers E.Thomas CB/S
19 Falcons S.Weatherspoon OLB
20 Texans R.Matthews RB
21 Bengals J.Gresham TE
22 Patriots S.Kindle OLB
23 Packers A.Davis OT
24 Eagles K.Wilson CB
25 Ravens D.Thomas WR
26 Cardinals B.Campbell OT
27 Cowboys T.Mays S
28 Chargers T.Cody NT
29 Jets G.Tate WR
30 Vikings D.McCourt CB
31 Colts C.Brown OT
32 Saints J.Odrick DT

33 Rams A.Benn WR
34 Lions C.Dunlap DE
35 Buccs P.Robinson CB
36 Chiefs M.Pouncey C
37 Eagles E.Griffen DE
38 Browns T.Tebow QB
39 Raiders D.Washington MLB
40 Chargers J.Best RB
41 Bills R.Saffold OT
42 Buccs N.Allen S
43 Broncos T.Alualu DE
44 Patriots R.Gronkowski TE
45 Broncos D.Williams WR
46 Giants S.Lee MLB
47 Patriots B.Lafell WR
48 Panthers C.McCoy QB

49 49ers Vladimir Ducasse, OT

The 49ers still needed the new RT and here he is. I had to pick between Ducasse and Verldheer and took the guy, who should be the better RT. Now the niners have taken an OG who could project to RT in round 1 and a RT who could also play OG if he doesn't get it done outside. So the 2 picks are interchangable. If Ducasse succeeds at RT, leave Iuapti at OG and the line should be fixed for years. If he does not get i done and Iupati looks promising, try him at RT and move Ducasse inside. Looks like a win win situation for me.

The other niners picks :

#79 49ers Eric Nordwood, OLB

I really like this guy, he showed solid production in all of his 4 college years, he can rush the passer and he can cover. Had 7,6,9 and 7 sacks in his 4 years and knows how to get to the qb. Maybe this pick (and him beeing available in round 3) is wishful thinking and the product of me making the picks, but he was available in my mock in round 3 and we would be very very happy if that happens.

#113 49ers Torrel Troup, NT

The niners have franchised Franklin but don't know if they can sign him to a reasonable contract. It makes me a little concernedm that Franklins play improved that much in a contract year, so maybe we should have somebody behind Franklin. RJF is tried at NT, but far from a decent backup right now. Troup is a player that is simular to Franklin in his style of play, he fits right in and can be had in round 4 in this very deep DT draft.

#182 49ers Lonyae Miller, RB
We need a change of pace pack who can also block if he is on the field. Miller is all this. The blocking is the reason, the niners are quite happy with Coffee but he does not bring the change of pace. Other guys like Sheets last year are quick but can't block. Miller can do both

#206 49ers Mike McLaughlin, MLB

A great character guy who has NFL bloodlines. He is brought in to be Scott McKillops counterpart in the hunt for Takeo Spikes role. Very smart guy who called the plays on BC's defense. Very good shedding blocks

#224 49ers Junior Galette, OLB

Another pass rusher to try out. He had 27 sacks in the last 3 seasons
[ Edited by stever on Apr 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Interesting draft. Both Iupati and Ducasse are very raw coming out. Might take them a while to adjust. All in all its a pretty solid draft and i wouldnt complain too much
That's a lot of linebackers, like the Miller pick though.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Tough choice between Iupati and Davis. Could come down to these two at 17. Hope Baalke makes the right choice.
Nice! Really like it. Appreciate the work involved
Originally posted by stever:
I made a full mock for the first 3 rounds, but decided to put down the first 17 picks here with comments. After that, i included the niner picks :

1 Rams S.Bradford

This decision seems to be obvious right now. Bradford is the #1 qb and the rams seem to be set in taking a qb

2 Lions N.Suh

Okung would make a lot of sense here, but Suh seems to be the favorite here now. All the signs point to the lions signing him

3 Buccs G.McCoy

4 Redskins R.Okung

After the McNabb trade this one is set, too. There is no LT on the roster and Okung is the best one available

5 Chiefs B.Bulaga

The first harder pick. Will they address their biggest need, which is OT (and move Brandon Albert to guard and improve 2 positions) or will they
select the best player available in Eric Berry ? I think they will value the OT higher.

6 Seahawks C.Spiller

CJ Spiller is an impact player for a team that does not have a running game now. They could go Berry here, or they could go OT, but Spiller is too good to pass here as a great player on a need position.

7 Browns E.Berry

Cartwheel time for the Browns. One of the 3 best players in this draft at #7 filling a real need. No brainer

8 Raiders T.Williams

The raider need an OT or a QB, but i think Al Davis will give Russel another chance. He can get an OT here who ran really fast at the combine and who is projected in the top 10 so the pick will be Williams

9 Bills J.Clausen

I don't think Clausen will drop further than to the bills. Who needs an OT (who would be a slight reach here) if you have nobody to protect ?

10 Jaguars D.Bryant

The biggest need would be a safety, but Earl Thomas is a little bit high here. So why not address another need position with a WR who is a top 5 player talent wise ?

11 Broncos R.Mcclain

With Bryant gone and an interior linemen a reach here, they Broncos go bpa and takes the the future leader of their defense. McClain will be a great player filling a need

12 Dolphins B.Graham

After the Marshall trade, the Dolphins biggest need is a pass rusher. The best pass rusher in this draft for a 3-4 defense is Brandon Graham.

13 49ers J.Haden
It is Haden or Thomas here. OT would be a slight reach and i really have concerns about Davis' motivation when he gets paid. I think the niners will pick Haden over Thomas because he played cornerback. Thomas could play corner, too, but i don't think they will draft a player who switches positions in round 1. I think the safety need will be addressed next year if Lewis and/or Taylor don't take a big step forward this year.

14 Seahawks D.Morgan

The Hawks are in the same position as the niners regarding taking an OT here. I think they won't for the same reasons as the niners. They have a big need at DE, too and a real good DE is available in Derrick Morgan. Very good value here for a 4-3 defense

15 Giants D.Williams

With Mcclain gone, this pick should be Weatherspoon or Williams. The giants like good DT's to much to pass here, so Williams will be the pick

16 Titans J.Pierre-Paul

No brainer : Best pass rusher in this draft for a 4-3 defense who really needs a pass rusher.

17 49ers M.Iupati

In the best scenario, this would be a trade down here. Trade down a few spots and take Charles Brown or Iuapati. But with no trades, this is between Iuapti, Thomas and an OT. I explained earlier, why i think the niners will not pick Thomas (especially if the went CB with the 1st pick). In this mock this pick has to be Iuapati or an OT. Who do you take ? Reach for a guy who is a LT only when you have a LT on your roster who is payed like an LT, take a guy who had some motivational problems before or take the best guard available, who looks like a future probowler on this position and who could project to RT ? I take the sure pick at guard

20 Texans R.Matthews RB
21 Bengals J.Gresham TE
22 Patriots S.Kindle OLB
23 Packers A.Davis OT
24 Eagles K.Wilson CB
25 Ravens D.Thomas WR
27 Cowboys T.Mays S
28 Chargers T.Cody NT
29 Jets G.Tate WR
30 Vikings D.McCourt CB
31 Colts C.Brown OT
32 Saints J.Odrick DT

33 Rams A.Benn WR
34 Lions C.Dunlap DE
35 Buccs P.Robinson CB
36 Chiefs M.Pouncey C
37 Eagles E.Griffen DE
38 Browns T.Tebow QB
40 Chargers J.Best RB
41 Bills R.Saffold OT
42 Buccs N.Allen S
43 Broncos T.Alualu DE
45 Broncos D.Williams WR
46 Giants S.Lee MLB
47 Patriots B.Lafell WR
48 Panthers C.McCoy QB

The 49ers still needed the new RT and here he is. I had to pick between Ducasse and Verldheer and took the guy, who should be the better RT. Now the niners have taken an OG who could project to RT in round 1 and a RT who could also play OG if he doesn't get it done outside. So the 2 picks are interchangable. If Ducasse succeeds at RT, leave Iuapti at OG and the line should be fixed for years. If he does not get i done and Iupati looks promising, try him at RT and move Ducasse inside. Looks like a win win situation for me.

The other niners picks :

I really like this guy, he showed solid production in all of his 4 college years, he can rush the passer and he can cover. Had 7,6,9 and 7 sacks in his 4 years and knows how to get to the qb. Maybe this pick (and him beeing available in round 3) is wishful thinking and the product of me making the picks, but he was available in my mock in round 3 and we would be very very happy if that happens.

The niners have franchised Franklin but don't know if they can sign him to a reasonable contract. It makes me a little concernedm that Franklins play improved that much in a contract year, so maybe we should have somebody behind Franklin. RJF is tried at NT, but far from a decent backup right now. Troup is a player that is simular to Franklin in his style of play, he fits right in and can be had in round 4 in this very deep DT draft.

We need a change of pace pack who can also block if he is on the field. Miller is all this. The blocking is the reason, the niners are quite happy with Coffee but he does not bring the change of pace. Other guys like Sheets last year are quick but can't block. Miller can do both

A great character guy who has NFL bloodlines. He is brought in to be Scott McKillops counterpart in the hunt for Takeo Spikes role. Very smart guy who called the plays on BC's defense. Very good shedding blocks

Iupati over Davis = Crazy
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by stever:

1 Rams S.Bradford

2 Lions N.Suh

3 Buccs G.McCoy

4 Redskins R.Okung

5 Chiefs B.Bulaga

6 Seahawks C.Spiller

7 Browns E.Berry

8 Raiders T.Williams

9 Bills J.Clausen

10 Jaguars D.Bryant

11 Broncos R.Mcclain

12 Dolphins B.Graham

13 49ers J.Haden

14 Seahawks D.Morgan

15 Giants D.Williams

16 Titans J.Pierre-Paul

17 49ers M.Iupati

20 Texans R.Matthews RB
21 Bengals J.Gresham TE
22 Patriots S.Kindle OLB
23 Packers A.Davis OT
24 Eagles K.Wilson CB
25 Ravens D.Thomas WR
27 Cowboys T.Mays S
28 Chargers T.Cody NT
29 Jets G.Tate WR
30 Vikings D.McCourt CB
31 Colts C.Brown OT
32 Saints J.Odrick DT

33 Rams A.Benn WR
34 Lions C.Dunlap DE
35 Buccs P.Robinson CB
36 Chiefs M.Pouncey C
37 Eagles E.Griffen DE
38 Browns T.Tebow QB
40 Chargers J.Best RB
41 Bills R.Saffold OT
42 Buccs N.Allen S
43 Broncos T.Alualu DE
45 Broncos D.Williams WR
46 Giants S.Lee MLB
47 Patriots B.Lafell WR
48 Panthers C.McCoy QB

The other niners picks :

yea i would switch picks 17 and 49, get davis in the 1st and get a guard in the 2nd, and turn that last olb into a kr/pr like holiday or vann unless we can get one undrafted
Agreed. Davis has to be taken before Iupati. I also wouldnt mind them taking Brandon Spikes in the 4th & McCluster in the 3rd and guard in the 2nd
[ Edited by 9ersnation on Apr 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
Tough choice between Iupati and Davis. Could come down to these two at 17. Hope Baalke makes the right choice.

This
Fixing the O line with Vladimir Ducasse and Mike Iupati is great! other then that its an okey mock.. Linebacker heavy

Why does everybody want Haden so bad? Mr. 4.58... And Ducasse is not lasting until #49. He may go late 1st round or at least very high 2nd. He's too talented for mid 2nd round.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM ]
Not a bad draft.

Personally, I like Earl Thomas more than Haden and Iupati. But that's mostly because I think safety with corner level coverage skills is the one thing our D really needs. And having a top player at a need position projected right where you pick is, to me, something you pounce on.

I really like Norwood as well. He seems ideal for us, in that he's a really talented guy, but will probably go late enough to allow us to take care of bigger needs first. I think OLB is definitely a need for us, but not as much as OL and DB.
Originally posted by 9ersnation:
Agreed. Davis has to be taken before Iupati. I also wouldnt mind them taking Brandon Spikes in the 4th & McCluster in the 3rd and guard in the 2nd

I think i made it clear that it is reasonable why this could be Iuapiti here. Read my post and bring solid arguments why you think this should be Davis here.
Quote:

tell me why ?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why does everybody want Haden so bad? Mr. 4.58... And Ducasse is not lasting until #49. He may go late 1st round or at least very high 2nd. He's too talented for mid 2nd round.

4.58 is the combine result based on an awful run. Did you watch tape ? did you see his proday time ?

Ducasse lastes until #49 in my mock. Tell me what i did wrong.I posted all the picks. If you are so smart, tell me where i went wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone