There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners23 what if mock draft

So, after the Ginn, Marshall and McNabb trades, I wanted to do a mock with some scenarios which are a bit out there but not entirely implausible. So, here's what I came up with:

1. St. Louis Rams: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Nothing fancy here, it's the expected pick.

2. Detroit Lions: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
I can't see the Lions passing on a tremendous talent like Suh, they have a high 2nd round pick with which they can get a good OT.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
The Bucs will be more than happy to take whichever DT the Lions don't.

4. Washington Redskins: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
It's almost a given that they take an LT here, so they'll go with Okung.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Dan Williams, DT Tennessee
The Chiefs management when out on a limb and took Tyson Jackson last year. You have to wonder if that line of reasoning will continue and they reach for another DL with Dan Williams to clog up their 3-4. There have been reports linking Williams and the Chiefs, so who knows ...

6. Seattle Seahawks: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Morgan is considered one of the players in the top of the 1st with the lowest bust potential. He has been playing at a high level for a while, has no off-the-field issues and has a fantastic motor. With Carrol dealing with enough unknowns, perhaps the Hawks management decides to take the safest route and take Morgan.

7. Cleveland Browns: Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
The improbable run on DT continues with Odrick. It's been no secret lately that Cleveland has liked Odrick, and with no suitors wanting to cough up extra picks, they decide to shore up their D line as opposed to taking a Safety like Berry in the top 10.

8. Oakland Raiders: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
The what if here is what if crazy Al does something sane for once?! If he actually took a good OT as opposed to Campbell, everyone would be shocked, so it definitely qualifies for a what if scenario.

9. Buffalo Bills: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
The Bills need a QB, and even though I'm not a big fan of Clausen, I think with this year's slim QB class, the Bills will be forced to reach for Clausen as there is a big drop in the talent level of the QBs after Bradford and Clausen.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
The Jags win big here as Berry slides all the way down, they could go in several directions, but they can't pass up the value Berry would bring.

11. Denver Broncos: Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
Denver could go with Bryant here, but I get the feeling McDaniels doesn't want to deal with another egotistical receiver. If he gets into another altercation with a star player, he'll be fired. So, maybe he goes for a safer pick with McClain to lead his defense.

12. Miami Dolphins: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
Miami doesn't necessarily need an RB, however, with some teams moving to a 3 back system, it's not out of the question either. The case for Spiller heats up with them giving away their KR now as well. They get a great KR/PR and one of the most feared RB trios in football to complement the pass or even the wildcat with White.

13. San Francisco 49ers: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Singletary was chomping at the bit to get Oher last year, and it was only due to the unlikely fall of Crabtree that we got denied. There's no way that Sing is denied again, and they will take the best remaining tackle on the board with Trent Williams, which gives them a sure-fire RT, who has an off-chance of becoming an LT in the future.

14. Seattle Seahawks: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
The Seahawks had 2 primary needs in RB and OT, and they will be more than happy to take the gifted, but troubled Davis, with the hope that the great O-line coach Gibbs can get him to preform at an elite level.

15. New York Giants: Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
The Giants may look to trade back with both McClain and Spiller off the board, but if they don't, I think they take the next best LB with Weatherspoon and hope to shore up their defense.

16. Tennessee Titans: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
The Titans are thrilled that JPP drops to them, so I can't see them passing him up, this one is almost a no brainier if he's there.

17. San Francisco 49ers: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Another WR in the first, say it ain't so! However, if Bryant is here at 17, maybe the niners just feel like it's too good of an option to pass up. They can keep Ginn on KR/PR duties and have one of the most feared passing attacks SF has seen since the glory days. Yes, several people may hate this move, but hey, who knows, what if it happens?

Now please note, that this isn't my final official mock draft, but just something I wanted to throw out there if a few crazy scenarios occurred. Hope you guys liked it, and tell me what you think!
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM ]
You have Eric Berry twice
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Editing mistake, fixed now, thanks.
And Williams and Bryant would make out offense legit!
Originally posted by Niners23:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Editing mistake, fixed now, thanks.

Where's E. Thomas?? He is a lock for top 15 IMO
every mock is a "what if"
No Haden in the top 17 is interesting. The only thing I really disagree with is the Raiders taking Bulaga, I think they go with Bruce Campbell. If Williams fell to us I'd be ecstatic!
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by teeohh:
No Haden in the top 17 is interesting. The only thing I really disagree with is the Raiders taking Bulaga, I think they go with Bruce Campbell. If Williams fell to us I'd be ecstatic!

I think if Haden doesn't go to the Browns, Jags or us, he won't make it in the top 17. The one I really struggled with was Earl Thomas, but I see a few mocks that have him outside the top 20 as well, so I think it's a possibility.
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

True, my only intent was that many mocks right now are very similar, so I wanted to see what would happen if players like Odrick or Dan Williams went way above where they were slotted to go, and if others like Dez and Haden slid.
I wouldn't oppose of Bryant at 17, but I think the Niners would would choose Haden. Shoot, I think Scotty Mac would choose Haden, we'll see what Baalke does
Originally posted by teeohh:
I wouldn't oppose of Bryant at 17, but I think the Niners would would choose Haden. Shoot, I think Scotty Mac would choose Haden, we'll see what Baalke does

With Scottie we knew what we were getting. Wonder if Baalke will be more unpredictable
if berry is there at 11 i trade my 17th + whatever works to get him. we need his play making skills and if we can get williams at 13 after that even better.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home