The Iupati Davis Offensive Line

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
What would this line play like:
Staley, Iupati, Heittmann, Boone/Rachal, Davis?

Probably not very well, since you'd have two rookies who would not know the offense very well, and who would have to adjust to the speed, strength and violence of the NFL game.

You'd have to simplify things to the point where, like the beginning of last season, the other team could just load the box and swamp the OL.

No thanks.

Any rookie OLman is gonna have to be worked in slowly, unless he's both a physical speciman AND a very quick study.

Trying to work TWO rookies into the starting lineup at once is a recipe for disaster, IMHO.

I would agree with you, but OL Coach Solari is known to be able to get rookies playing quickly and effectively. The Seahawks RG last year was a 4th round pick i believe who came in and played alright. Given guys like Davis and Iupati im sure he could work wonders

He may be able to work wonders, but I'm sure he'd appreciate being given a little time to do so.

Hence the potential need for Chester Pitts, and the even greater need for some patience from the fans.

Those who think that all that's needed is to plug some first round draftee in at RT or LG, or both at once, and suddenly all problems will be solved are not being realistic. IMHO.

It can take years for an OL to gel and develop the teamwork and chemistry necessary to succeed in the NFL.

Solari has a much better chance to mold the guys already on the team, including Baas, Rachal, Boone and Patrick, into a solid unit than he would have replacing two of the five starters with rookies. IMHO.

Believe me, I wouldnt expect both to immediately dominate, it would be a progression throughout the season. But i still think they would be able to play at a relatively high level
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
What would this line play like:
Staley, Iupati, Heittmann, Boone/Rachal, Davis?

What about the Pouncey-Davis O-line?

Staley, Pouncey-Heitmann (G), Pouncey-Heitmann (C), Rachal-Pouncey (G), Davis?

Pouncey can play all three interior posiitons extremely well.
Share 49ersWebzone