There are 318 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How does Ted Ginn impact the draft board?

This trade was awesome...totally changes the complexion of the draft for us....totally. We can now draft for the OL, OLB and DB without any hesitation about the meager return game.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
All it tells you is we won't be taking a receiver until late in the draft at best or taking Spiller.

Agreed...we'll probably go OT/DB or OT/OLB with those two 1st rounders now.

or saftey

DB could mean CB or safety.
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Increases the Joe Haden possibility at No. 13

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by fryet:
Now I wonder if the 49ers might consider trading up. Maybe getting Berry isn't outside the realm of possibility now. If I remember right, it would cost something like the #13 overall and a third round pick (assuming Berry isn't a top 5 selection). Would Berry have more impact on the team than the 2 players we could get if we kept our current selections? I personally think so. Then at 17 or second round, you can still grab the best OT and maybe also a guard.

If the Niners could do that deal I would hope that they would.

LOL what a thought, a team with one of the worst RT/line/QB situations in the league trading up a #13 pick and a 3rd for a Safety, I didn't know Al Davis was amongst us!!!

f**k it, let's just trade all our picks up so we can land TAYLOR MAYS!!!

Are you serious? I'd take Eric Berry over Joe Haden and a 3rd round pick every day of the week. Odds are nobody's going to remember that 3rd round pick when Eric Berry is being introduced as a Pro Bowler every season.

We have the 17th pick, and the 49th pick to address the line, and we're not selecting a QB so why bring that position up.

Unfortunately though Eric Berry will be the 5th pick in the draft and there's no chance at trading up for him.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 17, 2010 at 12:34 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
The way the people are talking about Ted Ginn its like hes a Devin Hester return guy... hes a good return guy and its an upgrade for us. But he got traded not because he was some super talented guy with off the field problems... He was traded because he was a horrible WR. The only positive is we only gave up a 5th round pick.. not like we would get anything in the draft at that point anyway. Shouldn't affect us in the slightest in how we draft. If Spiller is there we should draft him... we desperately need speed on offense and Ginns 30+ catches he will give us is not even close to being enough. Remember Jimmy Raye isn't known for turning out 1000 yr WRs so don't expect Ginn all of a sudden become the WR Miami thought he was when they drafted him.

Devin Hester is not even Devin Hester anymore. I don't think anyone here is expecting Ginn to be some gret WR. When he's on offense I expect him to run reverses and quick outs and that sort of thing on the edges. But more importantly he will be a speedy diversion that would open things up for Davis and the other WRs to do the dirty work. He will need to be covered plus he will draw the safety off when burning them deep, whether he's thrown to or not.

If he only did returns and thats it I would be satisfied for a 5th round pick.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Now I wonder if the 49ers might consider trading up. Maybe getting Berry isn't outside the realm of possibility now. If I remember right, it would cost something like the #13 overall and a third round pick (assuming Berry isn't a top 5 selection). Would Berry have more impact on the team than the 2 players we could get if we kept our current selections? I personally think so. Then at 17 or second round, you can still grab the best OT and maybe also a guard.

LOL what a thought, a team with one of the worst RT/line/QB situations in the league trading up a #13 pick and a 3rd for a Safety, I didn't know Al Davis was amongst us!!!

Are you serious? I'd take Eric Berry over Joe Haden and a 3rd round pick every day of the week. Odds are nobody's going to remember that 3rd round pick when Eric Berry is being introduced as a Pro Bowler every season.

We have the 17th pick, and the 49th pick to address the line, and we're not selecting a QB so why bring that position up.

Unfortunately though Eric Berry will be the 5th pick in the draft and there's no chance at trading up for him.

Its a good thing players are reserved Pro Bowl spots before they're even drafted.
Originally posted by Ether:

Its a good thing players are reserved Pro Bowl spots before they're even drafted.

I'm entitled to my opinion about the guy. I think he's the 2nd best player in the draft behind Suh, and the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor. If he's even close to that billing then he's well worth an extra 3rd round pick don't you think.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Quote:
Ginn's spot on the team is hardly a sure thing.

What?

Agreed! Ginn is a lock!
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by WildBill:

Davis should not be picked no earlier than 17.

I meant the OT
i think out of spiller, hayden, davis, thomas, iupati, brown, wilson.....if 2 of them are on the niners we are in great shape after round 1
Originally posted by Psinex:

Davis should not be picked no earlier than 17.

I meant the OT

obviously you didn't get lol
Prior to the Ted Ginn trade my analysis of the Niners' needs was as follows:

1. OT - dire need!
2. KR/PR - dire need!
3. CB - they have enough pieces in place to band-aide this for a year, but speed is an issue, and I expected a pick no later than the 3rd round, unless they got a KR-CB higher.
4. ILB - Takeo's not getting any younger.
5. G - Baas could be gone in a year, and neither he nor Chilo have lit things up!
6. Speed RB - We're in trouble if Gore goes down (sorry, but so far Glen Coffee hasn't shown that spark - do you really believe we can be a run-first team without Gore!). Someone with a different skill set could add another dimension.
7. OLB - Haralson looked great two years ago, but didn't build on that last year. And while Brooks looks like the most studly guy we've had in about a decade, until he does it for a full season, I'll say wait and see. In the meantime, Manny might be gone after next year. The only reason I put this need as low as I do is that I believe Diyral Briggs is going to be special!
8. NT - Who backs up Franklin, and what happens if we lose him next year?

After the Ginn trade the only sure pick among the top 3, to me, is OT! We could now add Dez Bryant if he falls. Imagine Gore, Bryant, Crabtree, Davis, and Ginn and the fear THAT would strike in defenses!

Or we could add Clausen. And before you freak out: remember how nice a problem it was when Drew Brees had his break-out season for San Diego AFTER they added Philip Rivers!

Or we could add Dan Williams! Even if we kept Franklin, he could be moved in to left end where Sopoaga has been steady but not spectacular. (And to any Balmer apologists: good teams don't wait and HOPE; if a guy isn't cutting it and better talent comes along - they make the switch!)

Or we could jump on McClain - although personally, I think he is more of a Sam.

For me Graham is an exciting option! Maybe they have someone in sights who will be great on the edge!

I'm not that high on iupati. But maybe they are. Or, for me, better yet: Pouncey.

To me all these doors are opened up in the first round by the Ted Ginn trade.

And we can fill the other priority needs in rounds two and three!
Originally posted by genus49:
Honestly I don't think it changes that much at the top of the draft. I would be very upset if the 49ers would pass on better overall talent early on because another lesser skilled player was a better return man.

I still expect us to look at return guys. Ginn's spot on the team is hardly a sure thing.

WHAT?
...Stay off the shhh...homie!

As far as Ginn's impact...Spiller is a no.I've a feeling they want to move back with one of our picks.