There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How does Ted Ginn impact the draft board?

Originally posted by Yetiman:
Of all people, Baldinger actually hits the nail on the head:

"You want to get three guys who can play out of the draft, and the 49ers already got one.”

You can read the whole article here: http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/16/baldinger-trade-for-ginn-jr-is-logical-for-49ers/

and we still have 2 first rounders and a second
Originally posted by teeohh:

"You want to get three guys who can play out of the draft, and the 49ers already got one.”

You can read the whole article here: http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/16/baldinger-trade-for-ginn-jr-is-logical-for-49ers/

Decreased chance of drafting Spiller now that we have our return guy, but I still think we look at a change of pace back (maybe McCluster?). Not likely to draft a WR at this point either.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
All it tells you is we won't be taking a receiver until late in the draft at best or taking Spiller.

Agreed...we'll probably go OT/DB or OT/OLB with those two 1st rounders now.

or saftey
Originally posted by jta854:
Spiller has less value now.

Really how? Ginn doesnt play RB, and we really could use more guys with elite speed on offense. Gore is anything but durable and Coffee looked like s**t last year. If a RB dont look good his 1st year he isnt gonna look much better his second. Plus we need to go to a 2 back system if wanna see Gore play longer than 2 more years. Plus with Ginn and Spiller on returns would be a huge boost.

IF any 49ers fan doesnt see a need too add a homerun threat like Spiller at RB imho has settled for mediocre. Which our run game the last few years has been.

For the record I wouldnt pass up a top pass rusher or CB for Spiller but any other position I would. Even a RT when this draft is deep for that spot.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Really how? Ginn doesnt play RB, and we really could use more guys with elite speed on offense. Gore is anything but durable and Coffee looked like s**t last year. If a RB dont look good his 1st year he isnt gonna look much better his second. Plus we need to go to a 2 back system if wanna see Gore play longer than 2 more years. Plus with Ginn and Spiller on returns would be a huge boost.

IF any 49ers fan doesnt see a need too add a homerun threat like Spiller at RB imho has settled for mediocre. Which our run game the last few years has been.

So you want to spend the #13 pick on a back RB to back up a 27 All-pro? Sounds a little steep. Someone suggested McKnight in the 4th in a thread which sounds about the highest a back up RB with KR/PR skills should go.

For the record I wouldnt pass up a top pass rusher or CB for Spiller but any other position I would. Even a RT when this draft is deep for that spot.
we can forget about spiller I think this organization isn't close to giving up on Coffee and I don't think we're interested in a three headed cowboys attack. If Coffee doesn't show up this year we'll be in the market for a RB next draft

Nice analysis!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by teeohh:

And 3rd and 4th
  • johngalt16
  • Info N/A
I think getting Ginn signals that the 49ers will take a shot at Clausen if he is there at 17. Less pressure to draft one of the guys who could be a return man in the early rounds.

With the two picks, there are so many ways to go. CB, OT, QB, RB, DL are all possibilities for the first two picks. Someone of great value will be available at all those positions when the 49ers pick in the first round. Dez Bryant can forget about it.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

So you want to spend the #13 pick on a back RB to back up a 27 All-pro? Sounds a little steep. Someone suggested McKnight in the 4th in a thread which sounds about the highest a back up RB with KR/PR skills should go.

If Gore had Spillers speed to bounce it outside I wouldnt. If Gore could stay healthy I wouldnt. If Gore had no serious injury history i wouldnt. Spiller is a guy who does everything asked of him very well. He is other than Best the perfect compliment to Gore imho. Spiller is a very dynamic player and honestly I wouldnt hesitate to snatch him up if he lasts to 13. Spiller isnt the kind of guy whos really a backup RB. Hes really a starting caliber RB who would just backup Gore for now. Knight is a backup, Coffee is a backup quality RB but Spiller in no way shape or form is a back up quality RB. We cant afford to lose Gore for a game or 2 again and have Coffee backup. Not if we really wanna compete outside teh NFC West. We also cant honestly expect Gore to stay healthy thru a season and aplay off run if we dont have that dynamic change pace guy. Why not just grab that guy now if hes there at 13. Doing that increases our chances at winning and increases Gores playing life. Its a win win situation that gives us dynamic player who gives us alot of options to score at different aspects of the game.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I'm done speculatin'.

Our defense will be better after next Thursday night. Hopefully our O-line will be too. PR/KR was a major need that just got addressed for cheap.

We are in an enviable position come Thursday night.

Agree
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I'm done speculatin'.

Our defense will be better after next Thursday night. Hopefully our O-line will be too. PR/KR was a major need that just got addressed for cheap.

We are in an enviable position come Thursday night.

Agree

Co-sign
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
The way the people are talking about Ted Ginn its like hes a Devin Hester return guy... hes a good return guy and its an upgrade for us. But he got traded not because he was some super talented guy with off the field problems... He was traded because he was a horrible WR. The only positive is we only gave up a 5th round pick.. not like we would get anything in the draft at that point anyway. Shouldn't affect us in the slightest in how we draft. If Spiller is there we should draft him... we desperately need speed on offense and Ginns 30+ catches he will give us is not even close to being enough. Remember Jimmy Raye isn't known for turning out 1000 yr WRs so don't expect Ginn all of a sudden become the WR Miami thought he was when they drafted him.
[ Edited by Jcool on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:

Davis should not be picked no earlier than 17.