There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How does Ted Ginn impact the draft board?

OT and Graham get my vote
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
OT and Graham get my vote

i would be very pleased with this. or an OT and claussen
THANK GOD

NO CJ SPILLER

I'm wondering if the Travis LaBoy visit was just a smokescreen! If they sign him before the draft, then Graham or Kindle are out. But having him visit before the draft will discourage other interested parties from trading above us to get a Graham or Kindle. If it doesn't play out, maybe they still sign LaBoy after the draft. Kind of like the Chester Pitts deal and Iupati.
Hmm...
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I think we get Earl Thomas/Joe Haden and Anthony Davis in the draft now. I'm really warming up to the idea of a Thomas/Goldson duo for the next 5-6 (hopefully more) years.

I agree with your choices. If they pick thomas the niners will have clements back at cb, but if haden is the choice then maybe moving clements to safety should be considered.

Davis should not be picked no earlier than 17.

I also think that if none of the top three tackles are available, and haden and thomas are gone, the niners are likely to trade back. Dez is not a likely choice as is spiller. Also, think if this is the case a lot of teams may call on the niners to trade up.
Originally posted by bret:
I'm wondering if the Travis LaBoy visit was just a smokescreen! If they sign him before the draft, then Graham or Kindle are out. But having him visit before the draft will discourage other interested parties from trading above us to get a Graham or Kindle. If it doesn't play out, maybe they still sign LaBoy after the draft. Kind of like the Chester Pitts deal and Iupati.
Hmm...

Everything is smoke and mirrors. When the smoke clears and the mirrors are removed, you gotta pull the trigger quickly like they did with Ginn. That was good cause Baalke didn't over pay for him and acted quickly after the fins got Marshall. Didn't hurt that he worked for Parcells once either. Hope he has more deft moves left in him and this is not a one time deal. For those waiting for Gaither, you'll know soon after the first day if the niners don't get a tackle.
Originally posted by fryet:
Now I wonder if the 49ers might consider trading up. Maybe getting Berry isn't outside the realm of possibility now. If I remember right, it would cost something like the #13 overall and a third round pick (assuming Berry isn't a top 5 selection). Would Berry have more impact on the team than the 2 players we could get if we kept our current selections? I personally think so. Then at 17 or second round, you can still grab the best OT and maybe also a guard.

If the Niners could do that deal I would hope that they would.
Now I wonder if the 49ers might consider trading up. Maybe getting Berry isn't outside the realm of possibility now. If I remember right, it would cost something like the #13 overall and a third round pick (assuming Berry isn't a top 5 selection). Would Berry have more impact on the team than the 2 players we could get if we kept our current selections? I personally think so. Then at 17 or second round, you can still grab the best OT and maybe also a guard.

LOL what a thought, a team with one of the worst RT/line/QB situations in the league trading up a #13 pick and a 3rd for a Safety, I didn't know Al Davis was amongst us!!!

f**k it, let's just trade all our picks up so we can land TAYLOR MAYS!!!
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

LOL what a thought, a team with one of the worst RT/line/QB situations in the league trading up a #13 pick and a 3rd for a Safety, I didn't know Al Davis was amongst us!!!

seriously
Well it means guys like CJ Spiller and Dexter McCluster probably wont be drafted. And it also knocks off Dez Bryant perhaps too.

The trade gives us a lot more flexibility in the trade. As for who i hope we draft?

OT (Williams, Bulaga, Davis) and Anyone of these guys (Brandon Graham, Mike Iupati, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

its not as bad an idea as you make it out to be. Berry is one of the top players in the draft. If the plan is to get an OT and a DB (which after the Ginn signing are our two highest priorities) and we think we can get an OT at 17, why not also get the best DB in the draft?

i'm not necessarily advocating this strategy, I'm just saying its not completely unreasaonble.

The better strategy though would obviously be to trade up for one of the top OT's and then take the best DB at 17.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:10 PM ]
It shouldn't change the board any. I would still take a good PR if available.
Originally posted by susweel:

agreed, but only if he also has the skills to eventually contribute at another position.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by susweel:

agreed, but only if he also has the skills to eventually contribute at another position.

I would maybe draft someone in the 6th or 7th and see what kinda competition they can give Ginn
Of all people, Baldinger actually hits the nail on the head:

"You want to get three guys who can play out of the draft, and the 49ers already got one.”

You can read the whole article here: http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/16/baldinger-trade-for-ginn-jr-is-logical-for-49ers/