LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Warming up to drafting Clausen...

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Unless you believe a rookie QB is a definite upgrade to what you have, you shouldn't take a QB in the mid/high first when you clearly have other needs. Truth is (and I don't even like Smith), Clausen strikes me as a shorter and obviously less experienced version of Alex....just not seeing the upgrade here at all.

...with some maturity issues.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I could see us drafting a QB. We aren't set at that position. I don't prefer it but I could actually see it happening.

not in first... no good ones will be ther. so your tellin me you wanna give up on davis already. A lot of people including me have not given up on alex yet either

Again, why do you see us giving up on Davis or Smith if we draft a QB?? Smith WILL BE THE STARTER regardless if we draft a QB in the 1st round. As for Davis, if he performs well in Preseason, they will have no choice but to keep him. Sure we picked up David Carr, but hes easily replaceable. That's the luxury of having or drafting versatile players, it gives you more options at rosters spots.

Sheesh it seems as if some of you are scared of Smith getting REAL competition.

yeah, thats the reason

The board is against trading for a QB, signing a QB (no David Carr does not count), or drafting a QB.

I really don't get it. Nobody thinks Alex Smith is good enough to resign right now even though he's going to be a free agent, and they still don't even want to think about bringing in competition.

And that's my reason for thinking that.
Unless you believe a rookie QB is a definite upgrade to what you have, you shouldn't take a QB in the mid/high first when you clearly have other needs. Truth is (and I don't even like Smith), Clausen strikes me as a shorter and obviously less experienced version of Alex....just not seeing the upgrade here at all.

What leads you to that? I'm not convinced about Claussen but Alex Smith really isn't someone I'd compare him to.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

What leads you to that. I'm not convinced about Claussen but Alex Smith really isn't someone I'd compare him to.

It's not a professional analysis, just an opinion. They both have nice QB skills, but neither seems to have that "magic" that the special QBs have. I don't know if it's a lack of killer instinct, lack of innate leaderships skills or what it is, but they both come across as missing that key ingredient that is required to take a team all the way.

Again, not a detailed analysis, just a gut feeling on this one.
I guess I see Clausen much differently:

The guy has been bred to play the QB position in the NFL since he was a kid. Everything about his mechanics has been well coached and fundementally sound unlike Bradford, Tebow, or McCoy. These 3 quarterbacks are going to take at least two years to develop in a pro-style offense but teams like the Rams can't wait for Bradford to develop on the bench because they'll pay him so much money, much like the 49ers did with Alex Smith.

I would just hate to see the prime years of Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Nate Clements, etc.... fly by because the 49ers are still waiting to find their franchise signal caller.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

The guy has been bred to play the QB position in the NFL since he was a kid. Everything about his mechanics has been well coached and fundementally sound unlike Bradford, Tebow, or McCoy. These 3 quarterbacks are going to take at least two years to develop in a pro-style offense but teams like the Rams can't wait for Bradford to develop on the bench because they'll pay him so much money, much like the 49ers did with Alex Smith.

I would just hate to see the prime years of Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Nate Clements, etc.... fly by because the 49ers are still waiting to find their franchise signal caller.

And if QB play was all or mostly about being fundamentally sound, I'd be all for Clausen. However, to win in the NFL, your QB has to have that special "something" about him where teammates rally around him, elevate their play for him and just completely and totally believe in what he can do.

It's a trait that's hard to define and even harder to identify, but you either have it or you don't. I don't see that in Clausen, and I definitely don't see that in Smith (thus, my original comparison).
I do like Clausen's heart...he's played hurt and that's a trait you like to see in your QB. But, Alex has done that too...when he shouldn't have and it ended up costing him dearly. My thing is given we have Alex, Carr and Nate Davis, QB isn't nearly as much of a position of need as many seem to think it is. If we drafted Clausen, one of those three would have to go. It wouldn't be Alex, and most likely not Nate, so Carr and his experience would leave. I doubt that's a scenario Singletary would embrace.
you sneaky son of a gun.. i see you tried to sneak in tebow.......
Clausen is basically a late first or second round talent. I have no desire to reach for him and take him in the first, and I pray that some team will take him before we pick so it's not even an option for us. We finally have some continuity with our offense, and a good chance to make the playoffs, so let's at least see where this season takes us before we stick a rookie QB in there to feed to the wolves.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

I'm not too high on Clausen, but his physical mechanics looked even better in college than Mark Sanchez's did, and 10,000 times better than Alex Smith could naturally accomplish (Smith will never fully evolve from his right-leg clutching during each release).

Only problem is that if we're lucky to get Clausen at #13 (cause if we let him slip the Hawks/Giants/ect will trade him out to the Vikings), we have to draft RT at #17 for sure, cause our o-line is still trash, and we've needed a productive RT for almost 5-7 years now.

We shouldn't draft a QB but if we did I would rather get tebow.
Originally posted by Snider8706:

2 Urban Meyer 'gimmick' QBs on the same team...

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Lol
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Lol I would draft him just to lead the pregame chants.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I could see us drafting a QB. We aren't set at that position. I don't prefer it but I could actually see it happening.

not in first... no good ones will be ther. so your tellin me you wanna give up on davis already. A lot of people including me have not given up on alex yet either

Again, why do you see us giving up on Davis or Smith if we draft a QB?? Smith WILL BE THE STARTER regardless if we draft a QB in the 1st round. As for Davis, if he performs well in Preseason, they will have no choice but to keep him. Sure we picked up David Carr, but hes easily replaceable. That's the luxury of having or drafting versatile players, it gives you more options at rosters spots.

Sheesh it seems as if some of you are scared of Smith getting REAL competition.

NOthing wrong with competition at all. Clausen simply is not it.
Share 49ersWebzone