There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Warming up to drafting Clausen...

Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by fan49:

Ill puke for real. And definitely walk out of the draft party if clausen gets picked. Not only that our local experts all said no to any qb in first. Check my thread in draft forum, full summary of 49ers draft special in draft forum. They said maybe tebow later because of leadership. Ill take davis who is accurate and throws farther ( over 70 yards) any day over clausen. Let him develop. My question is did Clausen even out perform alex, carr or davis in college?

No one can say davis wasnt extremely calm in the preseason games either

nate davis can throw 70 yards--how many 70 yards routes in jimmy raye's playbook?

dunno. maybe 1 hail mary
id still take davis over clausen any day... no one can answer has clausen even performed better than any of our current qbs in college?

Ill puke for real. And definitely walk out of the draft party if clausen gets picked. Not only that our local experts all said no to any qb in first. Check my thread in draft forum, full summary of 49ers draft special in draft forum. They said maybe tebow later because of leadership. Ill take davis who is accurate and throws farther ( over 70 yards) any day over clausen. Let him develop. My question is did Clausen even out perform alex, carr or davis in college?

I'm with u!
I could see us drafting a QB. We aren't set at that position. I don't prefer it but I could actually see it happening.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:36 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I could see us drafting a QB. We aren't set at that position. I don't prefer it but I could actually see it happening.

not in first... no good ones will be ther. so your tellin me you wanna give up on davis already. A lot of people including me have not given up on alex yet either
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

not in first... no good ones will be ther. so your tellin me you wanna give up on davis already. A lot of people including me have not given up on alex yet either

Again, why do you see us giving up on Davis or Smith if we draft a QB?? Smith WILL BE THE STARTER regardless if we draft a QB in the 1st round. As for Davis, if he performs well in Preseason, they will have no choice but to keep him. Sure we picked up David Carr, but hes easily replaceable. That's the luxury of having or drafting versatile players, it gives you more options at rosters spots.

Sheesh it seems as if some of you are scared of Smith getting REAL competition.
Drafting Clausen would mean Carr or Davis would have to go...and I don't see Singletary opening the 2010 season w/Alex, Nate and a rookie at QB. I want Davis to stick...he's arguably our QB of the future.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Drafting Clausen would mean Carr or Davis would have to go...and I don't see Singletary opening the 2010 season w/Alex, Nate and a rookie at QB. I want Davis to stick...he's arguably our QB of the future.

If we draft Claussen I see no reason why he shouldn't be our primary backup. It's 2010 1st round draft picks are expected to start the season from day one.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Again, why do you see us giving up on Davis or Smith if we draft a QB?? Smith WILL BE THE STARTER regardless if we draft a QB in the 1st round. As for Davis, if he performs well in Preseason, they will have no choice but to keep him. Sure we picked up David Carr, but hes easily replaceable. That's the luxury of having or drafting versatile players, it gives you more options at rosters spots.

yeah, thats the reason
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

yeah, thats the reason

The board is against trading for a QB, signing a QB (no David Carr does not count), or drafting a QB.

I really don't get it. Nobody thinks Alex Smith is good enough to resign right now even though he's going to be a free agent, and they still don't even want to think about bringing in competition.
He may be the only player that I would be MAD if we picked him.
Originally posted by hofer36:

nate davis can throw 70 yards--how many 70 yards routes in jimmy raye's playbook?

Yeah well JaGarbage Russel can throw 80 yards.....ON HIS KNEES!!!!
Clausen is a little b***h.
I don't want a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. The division is ripe for the taking and drafting a QB doesn't help us get any closer to that this year.

But to play devils advocate:
Our QB situation is eerily similar to San Diego before they drafted Rivers. Brees had shown signs of being a good QB, but never had a good full season. They draft Rivers and let him sit behind Brees who had his best season that year.

So IMO drafting Clausen does 1 of 3 things.
Smith turns into a good QB and we eventually deal Clausen and sign Smith long term.

Smith never becomes the next great niner QB and Clausen gets his chance after sitting and becomes a good QB.

Smith never becomes a great QB, Clausen gets his chance and fails.

So we still wind up with a 2 out of 3 chance of finding our next great QB. All this being said, I want Spiller at 13 and Brown at 17 if Davis is gone.
Unless you believe a rookie QB is a definite upgrade to what you have, you shouldn't take a QB in the mid/high first when you clearly have other needs. Truth is (and I don't even like Smith), Clausen strikes me as a shorter and obviously less experienced version of Alex....just not seeing the upgrade here at all.