LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Warming up to drafting Clausen...

or even Tebow or Colt McCoy for that matter.

Clausen and an OT in the first and a CB or RB who can also return kicks would be a nice first 2 rounds. Look, I havent broken down film on Clausen or watched every Notre Dame game, but Alex Smith and David Carr are not the answer. And honestly, Nate Davis, although a Webzone favorite like PJ Fleck, Taylor Jacobs, and Zak Keasey, is an unknown quantity. It's time this team had a fiery (maybe even cocky) leader at the most important position and I'd be willing to roll the dice on Clausen.

Tim Tebow.

During any and every Tebow conversation, I've felt adamant that he would not be a good pro QB. I'm still hesitant, but boy, you really can't deny this kid's leadership and determination. He's doing everything in his power before the draft to prove he can play QB at the next level. And almost everything he needs work on is teachable. Maybe he doesn't need to sit 2 or 3 years like some are suggesting. Maybe 1 year sitting and learning will be enough, especially if the Niners can turn into NY Jets West--strong defense and running game--to minimize what's asked of the QB. As for McCoy, he's farther along than Tebow right now and he just seems to have more "IT" than Smith.

This is Smith's last year under contract and Carr is signed for only 2 years. If the Niners wait until next year to draft a QB, they're essential starting over (assuming no one is signed/resigned). Drafting a QB this year allows this playoff-ready team to move forward with who they have, while keeping the seat warm for a QB with greater potential in 2011/2012.

Blake_Fever
[ Edited by Blake_Fever on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM ]
Nope
Originally posted by Slash49:
Nope
HELL

NO
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

And thanks for your well thought out response as to why not.

Blake_Fever
I'm not all that warmed up on the idea. Let's just say I'm not completly closed off to it.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by Slash49:
Nope

Nope
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

And thanks for your well thought out response as to why not.

Blake_Fever

Your Welcome
You want an assessment of the three, here goes:

Colt McCoy is a system quarterback. He's Alex Smith II.

Clausen's got the pro system experience, but not the leadership skills (see Jon Gruden segment on ESPN).

Tebow doesn't have the pro system experience, but got the leadership skills (in essence Clausen's pro system experience and Tebow's leadership skills equals the prototype QB. Since one has neither of the other's attribute, I think they're a bad pick.)

So you're left with a system quarterback, and we have him already...

In conclusion, pass on all the qbs in the draft.
For me, it depends on where we'd get the other two. Maybe not even interested in McCoy. Tebow's certainly got a high ceiling if he pulls through the criticism. They've definitely got some intrigue to them, but I'd rather have Clausen. He'd fit right in with what Singletary wants - someone under center, good play action, very accurate in short-intermediate, can definitely go deep, low interceptions, and lastly, having a QB he can call his own (usually new regimes prefer getting their own leaders... and this could be his opportunity).

Clausen and an OT in the first and a CB or RB who can also return kicks would be a nice first 2 rounds. Look, I havent broken down film on Clausen or watched every Notre Dame game, but Alex Smith and David Carr are not the answer. And honestly, Nate Davis, although a Webzone favorite like PJ Fleck, Taylor Jacobs, and Zak Keasey, is an unknown quantity. It's time this team had a fiery (maybe even cocky) leader at the most important position and I'd be willing to roll the dice on Clausen.

Tim Tebow.

During any and every Tebow conversation, I've felt adamant that he would not be a good pro QB. I'm still hesitant, but boy, you really can't deny this kid's leadership and determination. He's doing everything in his power before the draft to prove he can play QB at the next level. And almost everything he needs work on is teachable. Maybe he doesn't need to sit 2 or 3 years like some are suggesting. Maybe 1 year sitting and learning will be enough, especially if the Niners can turn into NY Jets West--strong defense and running game--to minimize what's asked of the QB. As for McCoy, he's farther along than Tebow right now and he just seems to have more "IT" than Smith.

This is Smith's last year under contract and Carr is signed for only 2 years. If the Niners wait until next year to draft a QB, they're essential starting over (assuming no one is signed/resigned). Drafting a QB this year allows this playoff-ready team to move forward with who they have, while keeping the seat warm for a QB with greater potential in 2011/2012.

Blake_Fever
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I would be happy with Tebow on our team.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Tim Tebow.

Blake_Fever

• fan49
  • Veteran

Ill puke for real. And definitely walk out of the draft party if clausen gets picked. Not only that our local experts all said no to any qb in first. Check my thread in draft forum, full summary of 49ers draft special in draft forum. They said maybe tebow later because of leadership. Ill take davis who is accurate and throws farther ( over 70 yards) any day over clausen. Let him develop. My question is did Clausen even out perform alex, carr or davis in college?

No one can say davis wasnt extremely calm in the preseason games either
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 15, 2010 at 10:39 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:

Ill puke for real. And definitely walk out of the draft party if clausen gets picked. Not only that our local experts all said no to any qb in first. Check my thread in draft forum, full summary of 49ers draft special in draft forum. They said maybe tebow later because of leadership. Ill take davis who is accurate and throws farther ( over 70 yards) any day over clausen. Let him develop. My question is did Clausen even out perform alex, carr or davis in college?

No one can say davis wasnt extremely calm in the preseason games either

nate davis can throw 70 yards--how many 70 yards routes in jimmy raye's playbook?
Share 49ersWebzone