LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

ESPN Insider OL rankings

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this, if I'm not, please tell me, and I'll remove it.

Awareness
Must be tactical. Need to study film, learn tendencies and transfer knowledge to the field. Understand blocking angles and how to use technique in order to overcome physical deficiencies. Be able to pick up new assignments quickly. Versatility -- the ability to fill in at multiple spots along the line -- can add to value.

Best in OT class
1. Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
2. Anthony Davis, Rutgers
3. Rodger Saffold, Indiana

Best in G class
1. Jon Asamoah, Illinois
2. Mike Johnson, Alabama
3. John Jerry, Ole Miss

Best in C class
1. John Estes, Hawaii
2. Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
3. J.D. Walton, Baylor

Strength/toughness
Size and wingspan are important in order to engulf defenders at the point of attack. Explosive upper-body strength to jar defenders with initial punch and sustain once locked on. Need wide base to anchor versus bull rush in pass protection and strong legs to drive defenders off the line of scrimmage as a run-blocker.

Best in OT class
1. Bulaga
2. Trent Williams, Oklahoma
3. Russell Okung, Oklahoma State

Best in G class
1. Mike Iupati, Idaho
2. Asamoah
3. Zane Beadles, Utah

Best in C class
1. Walton
2. Pouncey
3. Theodore Larsen, N.C. State

Pass protection
Good instincts to anticipate double moves, twists, stunts and blitzes. Quick feet to get set in time. Balance and body control in order to mirror-and-slide. Lateral movement to shuffle back inside. Long arms to keep separation and force pass-rushers wide. Powerful punch to jar defender and ruin his momentum.

Best in OT class
1. Davis
2. Okung
3. Williams

Best in G class
1. Iupati
2. Asamoah
3. Jerry

Best in C class
1. Pouncey
2. Matt Tennant, Boston College
3. Larsen

Run blocking
Size and strength are important in order to match up in the phone booth. Need to be nasty and aggressive. Must possess adequate mobility in order to consistently get into position. Must take a good first step and angles on reach blocks. Wide frame allows tackles to engulf smaller defensive ends in the running game and a strong lower body allows them to finish blocks.

Best in OT class
1. Williams
2. Okung
3. Bulaga

Best in G class
1. Iupati
2. Asamoah
3. Vladimir Ducasse, UMass

Best in C class
1. Pouncey
2. Walton
3. Estes
usually it is, but what I do, is not write the analysis.

Just do the top at each. And I think you will be fine.
thanks for the info
Nice find
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Okung isn't #1 in anything?
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

interesting
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

interesting

I was interested to see they have Davis as the best pass protector as well.
Originally posted by Niners23:

interesting

ya that suprised me as well but okung is a beast in game he looks like he is going to be all pro or at least a pro bowler hard to believe he isnt 1 in anything
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Niners23:

interesting

ya that suprised me as well but okung is a beast in game he looks like he is going to be all pro or at least a pro bowler hard to believe he isnt 1 in anything

Okung isn't at the level Clady, Thomas or Long were coming out. I think he's most comparable to Smith last year, though Smith was a bit more athletic, but had shorter arms. He may make pro-bowls eventually, but I don't think he will be an all-pro at all. The gap between Williams and Okung isn't that big, and apparently some teams have Williams above Okung in their boards.
Share 49ersWebzone