There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will 2011 be the 'Year of the Quarterback', Like '83 and '99?

Potential First Round Prospects:

Andrew Luck, Stanford
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
Jake Locker, Washington
Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State
Pat Devlin, Delaware
Nick Foles, Arizona
Don't forget Case Keenum (Houston) and Christian Ponder (Florida State). Although I would take Pryor off that list. 99 there where 5 QBs taken round 1 and 6 in 83. Could you imagine 7? We have been QB dry since 04.
no
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Where is Christian Ponder?

Probably nowhere near the first round

Ponder should be near the first round in 2011 if he has a good year, i really liked what i saw from Ponder before he got injured last year. Good under pressure, makes good decisions and is very accurate. He is someone to keep an eye on for sure.

as i noles fan best qb they had since weinke

Ponder seems to be getting better and better by the game. Florida StateĀ“s comback win against North Carolina last year was one of the best QB performance i saw all season. He then seperated his shoulder making a tackle about a week later i think.
I agree this looks like a strong class but everyone said that 2010 was going to be an incredible QB class before the season started also with Bradford, Tebow, McCoy, Snead, Clausen, & LeFever & look how that turned out. I am very very high on Mallet though.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
I like Christian Ponder a lot, the guy pretty much IS Florida State's offense. I think last year he accounted for a higher percentage of team offense than any other player, though I could certainly be mistaken.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care for Jake Locker? Seems like he's been mostly mediocre with some flashes of greatness, but nothing to get too excited about. Then again, I can't say I've watched too many Washington games the past few years.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
perfect timing since this is Axle Smith's last chance to prove he's worth a s**t.

Jake Locker

He and Luck IMO!
Originally posted by Riot:
I like Christian Ponder a lot, the guy pretty much IS Florida State's offense. I think last year he accounted for a higher percentage of team offense than any other player, though I could certainly be mistaken.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care for Jake Locker? Seems like he's been mostly mediocre with some flashes of greatness, but nothing to get too excited about. Then again, I can't say I've watched too many Washington games the past few years.

Locker is athletic, has the size and big arm and can run with the football, had a great freshman year in 2007 but of course the 2010 season from him and anyone else will matter. He walked away from millions by staying in school but im not sold on him. Gonna be exciting to watch Locker this year.
Last year everyone was saying this would be the year of the quarterback. Bradford, McCoy, Tebow, and Snead. All of them were supposed to be easy first round picks. Bradford went where everyone thought he'd go a year ago. But Tebow barely squeezed into the first round, McCoy almost fell to the 4th, and Snead went undrafted. Next year could be the year of the quarterback, but it is waaaaaaay too early to tell.
maybe
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Originally posted by Draftology:
Last year everyone was saying this would be the year of the quarterback. Bradford, McCoy, Tebow, and Snead. All of them were supposed to be easy first round picks. Bradford went where everyone thought he'd go a year ago. But Tebow barely squeezed into the first round, McCoy almost fell to the 4th, and Snead went undrafted. Next year could be the year of the quarterback, but it is waaaaaaay too early to tell.

Good point. Luck could stay. Mallett could regress, and Ponder could go the route of McCoy.

Then again with our luck this will probally be the best class to come out in years and we'll extend Alex Smith contract/

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 28, 2010 at 16:23:18 ]
Originally posted by YorkHater:
what about dude from Miami U

sick nasty
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Good point. Luck could stay. Mallett could regress, and Ponder could go the route of McCoy.

Then again with our luck this will probally be the best class to come out in years and we'll extend Alex Smith contract/

If we end up extending Alex, that means he had a great yr and we made the playoffs.

Besides I dont want to draft another 1st rd qb. Even if Mallet is good.

I figure Locker and Luck will be out of range.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

If we end up extending Alex, that means he had a great yr and we made the playoffs.

It means we won the most pathetic division in football (probally the least talented division in the last 15 years) and he didn't turn the ball over. Doesn't mean he established himself as the future though. You look at teams that win with power football and great defense and you see alot of instability at the QB position. One season doesn't carry over to the next season.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

According to Mike Ditka, no one is out of range. (i.e. Run Ricky Run).

I would be willing to do our 1st in 2011 and 3rd in 2011 with a 2nd in 2011 to move up to grab Locker (barring he has a good enough season to warrant a top 7 pick). I think were a QB away from going deep. Address the CBs and find a legit pass rusher and well be playoff bound for years in our new stadium.