There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will 2011 be the 'Year of the Quarterback', Like '83 and '99?

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I remember last year, people were drooling over Snead, Bradford and McCoy...

-9fA

Was about to post the same thing.

a bad game or two by any of these guys and you have Snead, McCoy, Kyle Orton and Nate Davis, Andre Woodson all over again.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Where is Christian Ponder?

Probably nowhere near the first round

Ponder should be near the first round in 2011 if he has a good year, i really liked what i saw from Ponder before he got injured last year. Good under pressure, makes good decisions and is very accurate. He is someone to keep an eye on for sure.
99 ? 2004 Class was so much better than 1999, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Big Ben, Matt Schaub and Cody Pickett!
Originally posted by lamontb:
i'm a Michigan fan and I give Pryor his props he seemed to be stepping up as a qb later in the season. He's gonna need all 4 years though

If he is smart he stays for his senior year and gets further developed because right now he would need a year or 2 on the sidelines holding a clipboard.
Alot of these guys still have eligibility left, and with a strike threatening I wouldn't be surprised if a Prior a Luck or a Mallett stays an additional year.

Another problem could be us sitting on 20 and with a rookie cap QB's are going to be alot more attractive. Clv, Sea, Buf, Jax, KC all could be looking for a new QB.
Our team is set up nicely for a rookie QB next year.... If Smith isn't excellent this year I can see them going after Luck or Locker.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Alot of these guys still have eligibility left, and with a strike threatening I wouldn't be surprised if a Prior a Luck or a Mallett stays an additional year.

Another problem could be us sitting on 20 and with a rookie cap QB's are going to be alot more attractive. Clv, Sea, Buf, Jax, KC all could be looking for a new QB.

A lot is riding on Cassel this year as he has a 7.5 million dollar option bonus due next year so if he struggles they may not be inclined to pick it up. And if there is a rookie cap then there will be a lot more teams willing to trade up however things can quickly turn into a bidding war.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:

Ponder should be near the first round in 2011 if he has a good year, i really liked what i saw from Ponder before he got injured last year. Good under pressure, makes good decisions and is very accurate. He is someone to keep an eye on for sure.

This.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by YorkHater:
what about dude from Miami U

Jacory Harris is good too.

I like him
I think realistically with the OL finally solidifying and all of our talent at the skill positions, we're going to be picking fairly late whether or not Alex shows up next year.

If the 2011 QB class turns out as good as some people are projecting, I say we trade up and grab one (I like Luck and Locker) regardless of Alex. Either the rookie QB will get to sit and develop for a few years ala Aaron Rodgers, or he'll play sooner if Alex disappoints. Sounds like a good idea either way.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Wasn't 2010 supposed to be the year of the quarterback?
If Alex proves he can't be more than a game manager at the next level we could pull a New York Jets and trade away a lot of picks to get up into range of a top guy...assuming there is one worthy of our pick.

Wasn't Andrew Luck a freshman last year?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Will 2011 be the 'year of the Quarterback', Like '83 and '99?

I know its (way too) early, but it looks like 2011 will be the best year to take a QB in quite some time. Some have called Andy Luck the best NFL QB prospect since Peyton Manning (and as smart and polished), and Mallett (6-7, 250 jeff george-caliber arm) may be a once-a-decade type prospect as well...and Jake Locker is no slouch (Neither is Devlin, and Pryor could light up the combine like we've never seen). We could see 5 or 6 QB go in the first round next year...maybe seven.

Now, I think this is a good thing for the 49ers. In a make-or-break year fo Alex Smith, 2011 would be an excellent opportunity to start over with a rookie if Alex Smith fails (I think he will play well this year).

But with this type of QB class and our precarious position w/ Smith, would it be Smart to load up on Ammo for 2011? Stockpile an extra 2nd rounder for 2011 (or a 1st) in order to be in position to trade up?

Potential First Round Prospects:

Andrew Luck, Stanford
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
Jake Locker, Washington
Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State
Pat Devlin, Delaware
Nick Foles, Arizona

LUCK is the answer for us.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:

as i noles fan best qb they had since weinke
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
If Alex proves he can't be more than a game manager at the next level we could pull a New York Jets and trade away a lot of picks to get up into range of a top guy...assuming there is one worthy of our pick.

Wasn't Andrew Luck a freshman last year?

He was a RS Freshman...which means he is eligible to come out next year if he wants to like Crabs did...but i don't know if he will want to