Final Ghost mocking

Free agent signings post-draft
Travis LaBoy – DE/OLB
Chester Pitts – OG

NFL Draft 2010
1. Rams - Sam Bradford, QB (Oklahoma)*
2. Lions - Ndamukong Suh, DT (Nebraska)
3. Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy, DT (Oklahoma)*
4. Redskins - Russell Okung, OT (Oklahoma St.)
5. Chiefs - Trent Williams, OT (Oklahoma)
6. Seahawks - Derrick Morgan, DE (Georgia Tech)*
7. Browns – Eric Berry, DB (Tennessee)*
8. Raiders – Anthony Davis, OT (Rutgers)*
9. Bills - Jimmy Clausen, QB (Notre Dame)*
10. Jaguars - Joe Haden, CB (Florida)*
11. Broncos - Rolando McClain, ILB (Alabama)*
12. Dolphins - Dan Williams, NT (Tennessee)

49ers picks
R1-13) Bryan Bulaga, OT (Iowa)*
Recent chatter has Bulaga slipping due to short arms and lack of elite athleticism (potential RTO), but would be a real nice find for us here. Fundamentally sound lineman who would be an immediate upgrade at RT (our greatest need) from day one.
R1-17) Earl Thomas, CB (Texas)*
Speed, athleticism and playmaking ability all in one package. Was likely to move to CB for his senior season; will now sit behind Nate his rookie year and play a lot of nickel. Could end up being the top CB to come out of this draft; worse case, could move to FS in a few years and be a top-tier player (see Antrell Rolle).
Rd. 2.) Reshad Jones, SS (Georgia)*
Very raw, but extremely athletic combo safety. Might take a few years to really "get it," but could eventually combine with Goldson to form a dynamic duo at the safety spot.
Rd. 3.) Donald Butler, ILB (Washington)
Big, strong, tough and fast...projects as a backup to Willis or the eventual replacement for Spikes on the strong side.
Rd. 4.) Torrell Troup, NT (Central Florida)
Depth for Franklin and insurance in the event AF doesn't sign a long-term deal.
Rd. 5.) LeRoy Vann, WR/KR/PR (Florida A&M)
Bit of a reach, but reaching in the later rounds is ok, especially when you're talking about one of the best special teams players in all of college football. Will likely not see any time at CB; might try to use him as a slot WR along with his KR/PR duties.
Rd. 6.) Chris Scott, OT/OG (Tennessee)
More athletic version of Adam Snyder (which isn't saying much).
Rd. 6.) Bryan McCann, CB/KR (SMU)
Speed, speed and more speed at CB. Relatively under the radar prospect who ran a 4.28 at his pro day, had 11 career picks and averaged 24.2 on kickoff returns in 2009 (just behind Trindon Holiday).
Rd. 7.) Junior Galette, DE/OLB (Stillman)
Super quick with strong pass rush moves; a little undersized and needs a few years of seasoning on the practice squad. Great 10 yard splits and excellent times in the quickness drills at the combine.

Roster options:

QB - Smith, Carr, Davis
RB - Gore, Coffee, Robinson
FB - Norris, Miller
WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, Zeigler, Vann*
TE - Davis, Walker, Curtis, Finley
OT - Staley, Sims, Bulaga*, Boone, Snyder (G/T)
OG - Rachal, Pitts, Baas, Wragge, Scott (G/T)*
OC - Heitmann, Wallace

DE - JSmith, Sopoaga, McDonald, Balmer, Evans
NT - Franklin, Francois, Troup*
ILB - Willis, Spikes, McKillop, Wilhelm, Butler*
OLB - Haralson, Lawson, Brooks, LaBoy, Briggs, Galette*
CB - Clements, Spencer, Brown, Paymah, Thomas*, McCann*
S - Goldson, Lewis, RSmith, Taylor, Jones*
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:06 PM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I don't think your picks are bad by any means, but I'm thinking the offense needs more improvement. Bulaga is an awesome start but we need another guy for defenses to be afraid of.
The first 3 are great. I like your draft. I could live with this draft.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I don't think your picks are bad by any means, but I'm thinking the offense needs more improvement. Bulaga is an awesome start but we need another guy for defenses to be afraid of.

I thought about that and have been a huge advocate for Spiller (or someone like him) early on. But you know, another year with the same QB and same playbook for guys like Davis, Gore, Crabtree, Walker, Morgan, Jones, Hill, etc., along with talent at RT and we should be in real good shape.

Not only that, if we upgrade our special teams (Vann and McCann are both super fast and extremely productive), we'll have much better field position and possibly even score on occasion on kickoffs/punts.

But I get where you're coming from and wouldn't be opposed to having a more offensive-minded draft, especially at the top.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I thought about that and have been a huge advocate for Spiller (or someone like him) early on. But you know, another year with the same QB and same playbook for guys like Davis, Gore, Crabtree, Walker, Morgan, Jones, Hill, etc., along with talent at RT and we should be in real good shape.

Not only that, if we upgrade our special teams (Vann and McCann are both super fast and extremely productive), we'll have much better field position and possibly even score on occasion on kickoffs/punts.

But I get where you're coming from and wouldn't be opposed to having a more offensive-minded draft, especially at the top.

But you would still be ok with Spiller right? I'd like a RT also but Spiller wouldn't dissapoint me.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

But you would still be ok with Spiller right? I'd like a RT also but Spiller wouldn't dissapoint me.

I'd be more than happy with Spiller, but I just don't see it happening.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

I'm liking a Spiller and Anthony Davis first round, then go defense round 2 and 3.

I'm liking a Spiller and Anthony Davis first round, then go defense round 2 and 3.

Changed the 1st round picks....I actually have the Raiders taking Davis at #8, so I don't see him around. If Davis is still around, I'd definitely want him over Bulaga.
If you don't mind, I'd like your reasoning for this pick

Is this because of Kearney? Is Morgan a DE in a 4-3?
Originally posted by teeohh:
If you don't mind, I'd like your reasoning for this pick

Is this because of Kearney? Is Morgan a DE in a 4-3?

Seattle was tied for 26th in sacks last year, and that was with Kerney playing 15 games. IMO, pass rush is an even greater need than OT...as for Morgan, at 6'3", 266, he's definitely a 4-3 DE.

Free agent signings post-draft
Travis LaBoy – DE/OLB
Chester Pitts – OG

NFL Draft 2010
1. Rams - Sam Bradford, QB (Oklahoma)*
2. Lions - Ndamukong Suh, DT (Nebraska)
3. Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy, DT (Oklahoma)*
4. Redskins - Russell Okung, OT (Oklahoma St.)
5. Chiefs - Trent Williams, OT (Oklahoma)
7. Browns – Eric Berry, DB (Tennessee)*
8. Raiders – Anthony Davis, OT (Rutgers)*
9. Bills - Jimmy Clausen, QB (Notre Dame)*
10. Jaguars - Joe Haden, CB (Florida)*
11. Broncos - Rolando McClain, ILB (Alabama)*
12. Dolphins - Dan Williams, NT (Tennessee)

49ers picks
R1-13) Bryan Bulaga, OT (Iowa)*
Recent chatter has Bulaga slipping due to short arms and lack of elite athleticism (potential RTO), but would be a real nice find for us here. Fundamentally sound lineman who would be an immediate upgrade at RT (our greatest need) from day one.
R1-17) Earl Thomas, CB (Texas)*
Speed, athleticism and playmaking ability all in one package. Was likely to move to CB for his senior season; will now sit behind Nate his rookie year and play a lot of nickel. Could end up being the top CB to come out of this draft; worse case, could move to FS in a few years and be a top-tier player (see Antrell Rolle).
Rd. 2.) Reshad Jones, SS (Georgia)*
Very raw, but extremely athletic combo safety. Might take a few years to really "get it," but could eventually combine with Goldson to form a dynamic duo at the safety spot.
Rd. 3.) Donald Butler, ILB (Washington)
Big, strong, tough and fast...projects as a backup to Willis or the eventual replacement for Spikes on the strong side.
Rd. 4.) Torrell Troup, NT (Central Florida)
Depth for Franklin and insurance in the event AF doesn't sign a long-term deal.
Rd. 5.) LeRoy Vann, WR/KR/PR (Florida A&M)
Bit of a reach, but reaching in the later rounds is ok, especially when you're talking about one of the best special teams players in all of college football. Will likely not see any time at CB; might try to use him as a slot WR along with his KR/PR duties.
Rd. 6.) Chris Scott, OT/OG (Tennessee)
More athletic version of Adam Snyder (which isn't saying much).
Rd. 6.) Bryan McCann, CB/KR (SMU)
Speed, speed and more speed at CB. Relatively under the radar prospect who ran a 4.28 at his pro day, had 11 career picks and averaged 24.2 on kickoff returns in 2009 (just behind Trindon Holiday).
Rd. 7.) Junior Galette, DE/OLB (Stillman)
Super quick with strong pass rush moves; a little undersized and needs a few years of seasoning on the practice squad. Great 10 yard splits and excellent times in the quickness drills at the combine.

Roster options:

QB - Smith, Carr, Davis
RB - Gore, Coffee, Robinson
FB - Norris, Miller
WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, Zeigler, Vann*
TE - Davis, Walker, Curtis, Finley
OT - Staley, Sims, Bulaga*, Boone, Snyder (G/T)
OG - Rachal, Pitts, Baas, Wragge, Scott (G/T)*
OC - Heitmann, Wallace

DE - JSmith, Sopoaga, McDonald, Balmer, Evans
NT - Franklin, Francois, Troup*
ILB - Willis, Spikes, McKillop, Wilhelm, Butler*
OLB - Haralson, Lawson, Brooks, LaBoy, Briggs, Galette*
CB - Clements, Spencer, Brown, Paymah, Thomas*, McCann*
S - Goldson, Lewis, RSmith, Taylor, Jones*

Not bad Ghost. The players you selected that I like are Bulaga, Jones, Troup. Just can't help but think we can get a little bit more.
^^ The way I see it, if you can get 2-3 "REALLY good" players and 1-2 "role" players out of each draft, you are WAY ahead of the game. I personally see Bulaga, Thomas and Jones as high-end talents and at least 2 of those guys should be top-notch.

I can see Butler, Vann and Troup turning into nice role players and decent contributors down the road, so I'd personally be happy with that.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM ]
The first 3 are great. I like your draft. I could live with this draft.
My next question is where have you heard about Bulaga falling. And I ask because the only scout guy I follow is Daniel Jeremiah and whatever else people post on here. So I'm just curious because I'd like other good sources to read from.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd love for Bulaga to drop to us. Good looking mock, Ghost.
Share 49ersWebzone