LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

4ML's Mock Draft

• 4ML
  • Veteran
49ers have 3 major needs IMO - RT, pass-rush, and secondary help. G is also a concern since neither Chilo nor Baas showed enough last season to feel comfortable. The team is ready to take over the West if are able to protect our QB and put constant pressure on other QBs in our division. We are likely to face 2 young QBs in our division and one old Hasselbeck - so pass rush will be a big key. Here's my latest mock - critics are always welcome.

(2) 13th - trade down - Dez Bryant is still available, and with Seattle, Giants, and Titans coming up - it's hard to imagine Bryant will last long. Cowboys in need of a WR badly, trade up, giving up 27th and 59th overall pick.

(1) 17th - Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers - I'm not a big fan of Davis, but I've a feeling Singletary is. Singletary may feel that he can motivate and nudge him in the right direction to get the most out of Davis. There is no denying that Davis is likely the most talented OT in this class and one with the highest ceiling. 17th pick is just low enough to take a risk.

(1) 27th - Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU - Hughes size and speed combination makes him an intriguing prospect for a 3-4 defense. With Manny Lawson in the last year of his contract, and Brooks still has to prove that he can be productive for 16 games, it makes sense to invest in a pure pass-rusher like Hughes.

(2) 49th - Morgan Burnett, S, Georgia Tech - I really like Burnett, he can play either safety position. Excellent in coverage and has very good ball skills, and is a big hitter. Him and Goldson will make one hell of a tandem and terrorize receivers coming over the middle for years.

(2) 59th - Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois - With Davis and Asamoah, we can finally fill all the holes on our OL. He is strong enough to take Dlinemen one-on-one and take 'em out of the play. Quick and agile to pull and trap. A complete OG who has great understanding of leverage at LOS. Can start right away.

(3) 79th - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB/KR, Indiana (PA) - He has the potential to be a decent starting CB in NFL and is one of the best returners in this year's class. He can return kicks and fill in as a dime CB for first couple years.

(4) 101st - (trade up) - Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida 49ers give up (4) 113th and (5) 145th pick to move up to nab Brandon Spikes who is available on day 3. Spikes after running a very slow 40 is strictly a 3-4 ILB. He will back up his cousin Takeo who will mentor him and get him ready for 2011 season.

(6) 182nd - Deji Karim, RB, Southern Illinois - Had a 43in vertical and ran a 4.4 40 on his pro-day. Has lot of potential and a good prospect who can bring different dimension on Sundays to our running attack.

(6) 206th - Aleric Mullins, DT, North Carolina - Mullins is very raw and will need some time to play on Sundays. He has all the physical ability in the World. At this point, a low risk pick who can some day become a starter or can rotational player at NT.

(7) 224th - Nate Byham, TE, Pittsburgh - Niners are always lookin' for a good blocking TE. Byham blocks well and is a durable hard working player.

Depth Chart:

QB - Smith, Carr, Davis
RB - Gore, Coffee, Robinson, Deji Karim
WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Jones,
OT - Staley, Anthony Davis, Sims, Snyder
OG - Baas, Rachal, Jon Asamoah, Wragge
C - Heitmann, Wallace
TE - Davis, Walker, Nate Byham

DT - Franklin, Aleric Mullins
DE - Sopoaga, Balmer, J.Smith, McDonald
ILB - Willis, Spikes, McKillop, Brandon Spikes, Wilhelm
OLB - Brooks, Jerry Hughes, Lawson, Haralson, Briggs
CB - Clements, Spencer, Brown, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Paymah
S - Goldson, M.Lewis, Morgan Burnett, R.Smith

Your thoughts and opinions?
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Apr 13, 2010 at 2:14 AM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Like it a lot, would maybe prefer going with a WR in the 3rd round though.
Nice mock
I like it. I think we are going to trade #13 if the top 4 OT are gone.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If Haden and Spiller are gone at 13 I like the trade down. Could happen.
  • 49erFanOrlandoFl
  • Info N/A
love this draft except for Brandon Spike His stock has plummeted I thought he was overrated to begin with. However if this was our selections on Draft day I would be thrilled
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
I predict none of your players will be picked during the draft.
This seems like one of the better mocks to me, nice trades (is the 5th rounder too much to move up 12 spots in the 4th?). Owusu-Ansah would be great. I'm afraid after running that 4.38, though, that he's going in the 2nd. If we didn't get a CB/KR like him, your mock wouldn't be half as good. Might be better to move up and get Owusu-Ansah rather than chase after Spikes.
I agree w/your logic and I like the draft.
This would be awesome. **Im hoping it happens**

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Like it a lot, would maybe prefer going with a WR in the 3rd round though.

Yes, could def. go with a wideout in the 3rd. Someone like Mardy Gilyard could be available.
Cowboys really don't need a receiver that badly. I doubt they make that move.
you did alot of thinking for this draft 4ML! I like it!

and thanks for the bday wishes!
(1) 17th - Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers - I'm not a big fan of Davis, but I've a feeling Singletary is. Singletary may feel that he can motivate and nudge him in the right direction to get the most out of Davis. There is no denying that Davis is likely the most talented OT in this class and one with the highest ceiling. 17th pick is just low enough to take a risk.

(1) 27th - Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU - Hughes size and speed combination makes him an intriguing prospect for a 3-4 defense. With Manny Lawson in the last year of his contract, and Brooks still has to prove that he can be productive for 16 games, it makes sense to invest in a pure pass-rusher like Hughes.

(2) 49th - Morgan Burnett, S, Georgia Tech - I really like Burnett, he can play either safety position. Excellent in coverage and has very good ball skills, and is a big hitter. Him and Goldson will make one hell of a tandem and terrorize receivers coming over the middle for years.

(2) 59th - Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois - With Davis and Asamoah, we can finally fill all the holes on our OL. He is strong enough to take Dlinemen one-on-one and take 'em out of the play. Quick and agile to pull and trap. A complete OG who has great understanding of leverage at LOS. Can start right away.

(3) 79th - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB/KR, Indiana (PA) - He has the potential to be a decent starting CB in NFL and is one of the best returners in this year's class. He can return kicks and fill in as a dime CB for first couple years.

(4) 101st - (trade up) - Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida 49ers give up (4) 113th and (5) 145th pick to move up to nab Brandon Spikes who is available on day 3. Spikes after running a very slow 40 is strictly a 3-4 ILB. He will back up his cousin Takeo who will mentor him and get him ready for 2011 season.

(6) 182nd - Deji Karim, RB, Southern Illinois - Had a 43in vertical and ran a 4.4 40 on his pro-day. Has lot of potential and a good prospect who can bring different dimension on Sundays to our running attack.

(6) 206th - Aleric Mullins, DT, North Carolina - Mullins is very raw and will need some time to play on Sundays. He has all the physical ability in the World. At this point, a low risk pick who can some day become a starter or can rotational player at NT.

(7) 224th - Nate Byham, TE, Pittsburgh - Niners are always lookin' for a good blocking TE. Byham blocks well and is a durable hard working player.

I could live with Davis as our RT and I like Hughes as our OLB. I have no thoughts on Burnett other than he has not been discussed much on this board. Asamoah would be a good addition to the guards. I really like the Owusu-Ansah pick because we need so backfield speed and kick returning as well. I am not sure about Spikes - it is my thought that he is too slow for our needs. I want speed as well as talent in our LBs. Karim seems like he might be a good pick but would like another fast, change of pace RB with pass protection skills and pass receiving skills. I know nothing about Mullins or Byham but I think OG/OT/OC/CB/SS/FS/NT would be my picks at the end of the draft. I personally do not think we need a blocking TE or a FB. We have several on the roster already.

So you have covered a lot of our bases, if we could pull off a trade like you have described. So the draft meets many of the needs of our team.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I like it. I think we are going to trade #13 if the top 4 OT are gone.

I get that feeling too, but Haden may be seen as too good to pass up.
Share 49ersWebzone