LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Spiller vs Bryant

Spiller vs Bryant

I feel like a lot of people are just writing off picking Dez Bryant. If we get our tackle at 13, and both of these guys are available at 17 (I know, unlikely), I think we should pick Bryant. He returned punts in college and can probably return kickoffs in the pros. Yes, he is not the returner Spiller is, but Bryant would start for us. Spiller would be a change of pace back/gadget guy in our offense, ultimately taking away touches from Gore who is already a playmaker at Spiller's position. Eventually Spiller would take over for Gore but that wouldn't be for two or three years, and we want to win now.
Originally posted by Draftology:
I feel like a lot of people are just writing off picking Dez Bryant. If we get our tackle at 13, and both of these guys are available at 17 (I know, unlikely), I think we should pick Bryant. He returned punts in college and can probably return kickoffs in the pros. Yes, he is not the returner Spiller is, but Bryant would start for us. Spiller would be a change of pace back/gadget guy in our offense, ultimately taking away touches from Gore who is already a playmaker at Spiller's position. Eventually Spiller would take over for Gore but that wouldn't be for two or three years, and we want to win now.

Bryant = more total value than Spiller. He will be on the field more AND can return punts -- Spiller returns kicks and will touch the ball sparingly as a 3rd down back.
i think bryant is going to be a great player but i would do just about anything to avoid dealing with eugene parker again.... i'm sure the 49ers management feels the same
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i think bryant is going to be a great player but i would do just about anything to avoid dealing with eugene parker again.... i'm sure the 49ers management feels the same

Why? They obviously came to some sort of understanding by October. And if Bryant is taken at 13, we can give him the exact same contract we gave Crabtree:

A rule of thumb is that a rookie should be paid what the guy 2 - 4 picks ahead of him got last year.

Give them identical contracts.
I see Spiller as having a multi-impact on our offense. He will be our punt returner, kick returner, change of pace running back, and he could be our slot receiver. I think Spiller would be better than Bryant on KR, PR, RB, Slot Receiver, abut Bryant may be better as a WR than Spiller, but that remains to be seen. I think Spiller would contribute much more than Bryant, with much less worry about character issues. So if I was picking between the two of them I wouldn't touch Bryant with a ten foot pole and would select Spiller.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I see Spiller as having a multi-impact on our offense. He will be our punt returner, kick returner, change of pace running back, and he could be our slot receiver. I think Spiller would be better than Bryant on KR, PR, RB, Slot Receiver, abut Bryant may be better as a WR than Spiller, but that remains to be seen. I think Spiller would contribute much more than Bryant, with much less worry about character issues. So if I was picking between the two of them I wouldn't touch Bryant with a ten foot pole and would select Spiller.
How would Spiller be a better slot receiver than Bryant? I know Bryant is better suited on the outside but he still plays receiver and Spiller plays running back. Spiller would be better (but not that much better) as a kick returner, but Bryant would have a much bigger impact on our offense.

"it remains to be seen" whether Dez the WR is a better WR than CJ the RB? that's absurd. Also, Dez has proven that he is a better PR than Spiller on the field.
For the Niners, certainly Spiller. If your looking at better careers or whatever, I'd still probably say Spiller, but it's a coin flip at this point.
  • LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
dez bryant at 17
I love Gore and all, but he can't do everything by himself, especially with our Oline being mediocre at best. Spiller would spell Gore nicely and could score any time he touches the ball. Coffee is apparently a tough short yardage type of back, but we need a homerun hitter. Spiller provides that. He has great speed and acceleration as well.

Bryant would be nice too, but he reminds me of T.O. As far as athleticism goes, he's at the top of the charts, but attitude and off the field issues galore. I see him getting upset if he doesnt get the ball enough. Plus, we already have Crabtree, Morgan, and Hill (who in my opinion hasn't had enough opportunities to play).

Either or, I wouldn't be too upset. Both are playmakers in their own rights, but I would prefer Spiller.

i'd be happy with either one. bryant is a huge target and a playmaker and spiller is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball. more playmakers=more offensive production
Originally posted by nickbradley:

"it remains to be seen" whether Dez the WR is a better WR than CJ the RB? that's absurd. Also, Dez has proven that he is a better PR than Spiller on the field.

exactle beyant is betteer WR better slot WR and better PR that has been proven

the love for spiller on the board is just annoying im wondering if some of these guys have even seen him play

Bryant = more total value than Spiller. He will be on the field more AND can return punts -- Spiller returns kicks and will touch the ball sparingly as a 3rd down back.

Being on the field more doesn't matter. Who will touch the ball more is whats important, since they are both playmakers....the answer is Spiller.

Bryant won't do kick returns and a good day for a WR is 6-8 catches. So Bryant returns 4 punts and has 5 catches. Or Spiller has 4 PR, 3 KR, 2 catches and 5 carries. Plus, Gore hasn't finished an entire season in awhile so odds are Spiller would end up getting 10-15 carries once or twice during the season.

I'd go with Spiller without hesitation, he can help out a lot more and possibly take over for Gore in 2 or 3 years depending on Gores health.
Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:

Being on the field more doesn't matter. Who will touch the ball more is whats important, since they are both playmakers....the answer is Spiller.
Bryant won't do kick returns and a good day for a WR is 6-8 catches. So Bryant returns 4 punts and has 5 catches. Or Spiller has 4 PR, 3 KR, 2 catches and 5 carries. Plus, Gore hasn't finished an entire season in awhile so odds are Spiller would end up getting 10-15 carries once or twice during the season.

I'd go with Spiller without hesitation, he can help out a lot more and possibly take over for Gore in 2 or 3 years depending on Gores health.

So by your metric, any starting RB is more valuable than any starting WR. That's crazy.
Looks like BalSing will solve the great debate soon.
Share 49ersWebzone