There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Detroit 'Detroit' Enough to pass on Okung?

Is Detroit 'Detroit' Enough to pass on Okung?

i think either way they get a great player. Okung is gonna be awesome and so is Suh. its a good headache to have deciding between two great players. their offense should be potent if they can keep stafford on his feet. they made some DL upgrades already in FA and Suh would cement them as a very scary defensive front. either way they wont be mad at the player they select. if millen was here id say they pick Dez but he's not there hahaha
The Detroit Lions are a horrible team with little to no talent. They should take the best prospect and that would be Suh/McCoy. They will be drafting top 10 next year again and then can go get their LT. But they are nowhere near good enough to pass up on a great prospect for a position of need.
i think they go suh and i think that is the smart move he is just a flat out beast stops the run and goes after the QB he command constant double teams. He is the best defensive player in the past 10 years its just too hard to pass up talent like that
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
The Detroit Lions are a horrible team with little to no talent. They should take the best prospect and that would be Suh/McCoy. They will be drafting top 10 next year again and then can go get their LT. But they are nowhere near good enough to pass up on a great prospect for a position of need.

By next year, Stafford may not be in one piece.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Players like Okung come around an avg of twice/year. Players like Suh come around once a decade, if that. He's got Haynsworth talent with Payton Manning character. Are you kidding me? Btw, if you think that o-line is more important than d-line, you're kidding yourself. It doesn't make any sense. A great D-lineman would make the other team's o-line look terrible. I can see Suh making Okung look like Kwame Harris.

Okung is a better prospect than any of the OTs last year, but not as good as Joe Thomas or Jake Long.

You know what, Ray Guy was a once-a-generation player, but he played punter, so nobody cares. DT is simply far less valuable than OT.

Suh also plays on the interior, which IS less important than the edges...same goes for the OL -- OTs are more valuable than Guards.

True. It's not like the Steelers won 4 superbowls because of DL, and it's not like interior lineman did anything for the 2000 Bucks. Oh, and the Pats clearly didn't benefit from having the best D-line in football when facing teams that had them outmatched at every other position. hmm...
Detroit went Detroit and drafted a TE with their second 1st rounder instead of the logical decision and drafting Oher to protect Stafford's ahem "Blind Side"
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

By next year, Stafford may not be in one piece.

They can get an OT in the 2nd round. You dont pass up the best prospect in this draft with all their needs in mind.
Players like Okung come around an avg of twice/year. Players like Suh come around once a decade, if that. He's got Haynsworth talent with Payton Manning character. Are you kidding me? Btw, if you think that o-line is more important than d-line, you're kidding yourself. It doesn't make any sense. A great D-lineman would make the other team's o-line look terrible. I can see Suh making Okung look like Kwame Harris.

Okung is a better prospect than any of the OTs last year, but not as good as Joe Thomas or Jake Long.

You know what, Ray Guy was a once-a-generation player, but he played punter, so nobody cares. DT is simply far less valuable than OT.

Suh also plays on the interior, which IS less important than the edges...same goes for the OL -- OTs are more valuable than Guards.

True. It's not like the Steelers won 4 superbowls because of DL, and it's not like interior lineman did anything for the 2000 Bucks. Oh, and the Pats clearly didn't benefit from having the best D-line in football when facing teams that had them outmatched at every other position. hmm...

Detroit was dead last in pass D, and only generated 26 sacks. There were 25th against the run, there is clearly a need to upgrade the front line and while KVB and Williams help shore it up they won't make a difference all alone. Having a dominant DT like Suh or a penetrator like McCoy would help immensely seeing as Schwartz would like to have the pressure come from the front 4.

I can understand the need for a franchise LT to replace Backus but the coaching staff has praised him since they took over. He may not be a top 10 LT but he is serviceable. If they take Suh or McCoy and they don't grab an LT to groom outside the first round, there will be plenty of talent to choose in next year's class which already boasts 4-6 OT prospects who could be top 50 picks. I also would not rule out a trade for Gaither or perhaps Bushrod/Brown (from the Saints should they decide to let one of them go) in between day 1 and day 2, pick 34 could be a pretty hot commodity to some teams.
This kinda reminds me of the 2007 draft with the Arizona Cardinals. They needed an OT so they drafted Levi Brown (heard much of him since?) and they passed on Adrian Peterson who was a much better prospect. I wonder if the Cards would like a do over?
Originally posted by Draftology:
Look at the Tennessee defense while they had Haynesworth and look at it after. There were no other significant losses. Haynesworth was that valuable. If they think Suh can be their Haynesworth, they have to take him. With him Detroit will have the makings of a pretty solid defense with Vanden Bosch off the edge, Suh and Redding in the middle, Sims and Peterson at LB, and Delmas at safety.

redding was traded for peterson, so im not sure were talking about the same redding but corey redding is on the seahawks.
this thead is dumb.
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Originally posted by Draftology:
Look at the Tennessee defense while they had Haynesworth and look at it after. There were no other significant losses. Haynesworth was that valuable. If they think Suh can be their Haynesworth, they have to take him. With him Detroit will have the makings of a pretty solid defense with Vanden Bosch off the edge, Suh and Redding in the middle, Sims and Peterson at LB, and Delmas at safety.

redding was traded for peterson, so im not sure were talking about the same redding but corey redding is on the seahawks.

Redding is now a Raven after signing with them via FA.
Originally posted by dhp318:
this thead is dumb.