There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Detroit 'Detroit' Enough to pass on Okung?

Is Detroit 'Detroit' Enough to pass on Okung?

Detroit is faced with the option of taking the best left tackle on the board, a major need, with Russell Okung and obtaining a Left Tackle to protect Matt Stafford for a decade.

Or, they can take a high-caliber defensive tackle that can have 20 tackles a season and 8 - 12 sacks.

While this is the best DT class to come along in many many years, so what? The position is far less valuable to the game of football than LT. $42M on Stafford, they've gotta protect him. But the word on the street is that they want Suh instead.

A month ago, I thought that there was no way Detroit would be stupid enough to pass on a franchise left tackle, but lo and behold that's the direction they appear to be going.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM ]
Look at the Tennessee defense while they had Haynesworth and look at it after. There were no other significant losses. Haynesworth was that valuable. If they think Suh can be their Haynesworth, they have to take him. With him Detroit will have the makings of a pretty solid defense with Vanden Bosch off the edge, Suh and Redding in the middle, Sims and Peterson at LB, and Delmas at safety.
Originally posted by Draftology:
Look at the Tennessee defense while they had Haynesworth and look at it after. There were no other significant losses. Haynesworth was that valuable. If they think Suh can be their Haynesworth, they have to take him. With him Detroit will have the makings of a pretty solid defense with Vanden Bosch off the edge, Suh and Redding in the middle, Sims and Peterson at LB, and Delmas at safety.

Actually, TEN's defense became lights out in the 2nd half of the season once their pro-bowl secondary got healthy.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Actually, TEN's defense became lights out in the 2nd half of the season once their pro-bowl secondary got healthy.
In 2009, they had the 28th ranked defense. In 2008, they had the 7th ranked defense. There is no way they could have been "lights out" in the second half and ended up 28th.

In 2009, they had the 28th ranked defense. In 2008, they had the 7th ranked defense. There is no way they could have been "lights out" in the second half and ended up 28th.

They were.
Players like Okung come around an avg of twice/year. Players like Suh come around once a decade, if that. He's got Haynsworth talent with Payton Manning character. Are you kidding me? Btw, if you think that o-line is more important than d-line, you're kidding yourself. It doesn't make any sense. A great D-lineman would make the other team's o-line look terrible. I can see Suh making Okung look like Kwame Harris.
This is a lame poll. You should at least make Dez Bryant an option if you want to try to be clever or something. Why don't you just make the other options Suh & McCoy and ask which they will take/should take instead of making it the choice of "idiocy."

They probably should take Suh or McCoy, but it's a no lose situation. I don't think you can call them idiots for choosing any of the 3.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:20 PM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Players like Okung come around an avg of twice/year. Players like Suh come around once a decade, if that. He's got Haynsworth talent with Payton Manning character. Are you kidding me? Btw, if you think that o-line is more important than d-line, you're kidding yourself. It doesn't make any sense. A great D-lineman would make the other team's o-line look terrible. I can see Suh making Okung look like Kwame Harris.

Okung is a better prospect than any of the OTs last year, but not as good as Joe Thomas or Jake Long.

You know what, Ray Guy was a once-a-generation player, but he played punter, so nobody cares. DT is simply far less valuable than OT.

Suh also plays on the interior, which IS less important than the edges...same goes for the OL -- OTs are more valuable than Guards.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Okung is a better prospect than any of the OTs last year, but not as good as Joe Thomas or Jake Long.

You know what, Ray Guy was a once-a-generation player, but he played punter, so nobody cares. DT is simply far less valuable than OT.

Suh also plays on the interior, which IS less important than the edges...same goes for the OL -- OTs are more valuable than Guards.

The Lions play a base 4-3, but do quite a bit of 3-4 and plan to do more (as does most of the league), and in a 3-4 the NT is the keystone of the defense.

If Suh (or McCoy) can be an aggressive 4-3 DT and dominant 3-4 NT, he dramatically improves the effectiveness of their entire defense.

*edit - And, their defense is significantly worse than their offense, so BPA and need both apply.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:17 PM ]
You're making a poll to get peoples' opinions, but both options of your poll basically side with you? If someone is of the opinion that they should take Suh, then their only choice is to select something that still calls the Lions dumb for taking Suh - essentially saying that there is no other option but to agree with your statement.

Onto another point, I think people here have said a lot of the arguments used for the pro-Suh camp. I basically agree that a player like Suh only comes along once every so often, whereas there is a top tier OL in every single draft. Obviously if so many people, not just in these forums, but media personnel around the world are of the opinion that they should take Suh, it's unfair to say that the Lions are stupid for considering it. I don't think Okung would be a bad move at all, but neither do I think that taking Suh is a mistake.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:47 PM ]
I don't see how you can call them idiots to pick Suh. A month ago before people started jizzing themselves over a healthy Bradford Suh was the consensus number 1 guy. He's going to be a really good DT and a very disruptive player. I think they should take Okung so they can have an explosive offense but Schwartz is a defensive guy and Suh is a f**king beast so IMO you can't go wrong with either guy. JMO though.
Detroit is faced with the option of taking the best left tackle on the board, a major need, with Russell Okung and obtaining a Left Tackle to protect Matt Stafford for a decade.

Or, they can take a high-caliber defensive tackle that can have 20 tackles a season and 8 - 12 sacks.

While this is the best DT class to come along in many many years, so what? The position is far less valuable to the game of football than LT. $42M on Stafford, they've gotta protect him. But the word on the street is that they want Suh instead.

A month ago, I thought that there was no way Detroit would be stupid enough to pass on a franchise left tackle, but lo and behold that's the direction they appear to be going.

I know detroit does appreciate their DT's , this is why talk of them Taking McCoy doesnt make sense!

If ur asking, DETROIT DOESNT APPRECIATE THEIR DT'S????

They had 2 stud DT's and shipped them both out of town, so why would they draft another STUD?

1. SHAUN ROGERS
2. COREY REDDING

///

This McCoy talk is a smoke screen, its going to be OKUNG.
if Detroit picks like Detroit then they will take Dez Bryant.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:

I know detroit does appreciate their DT's , this is why talk of them Taking McCoy doesnt make sense!

If ur asking, DETROIT DOESNT APPRECIATE THEIR DT'S????

They had 2 stud DT's and shipped them both out of town, so why would they draft another STUD?

1. SHAUN ROGERS
2. COREY REDDING

///

This McCoy talk is a smoke screen, its going to be OKUNG.

Meh, Rogers is good, but Redding hasn't done s**t since he left. And neither of them were or ever will be as good as Suh is projected to be, who has a prime Haynesworth like impact.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Remember when there was all that talk of the Texans being idiots for passing up a once in a generation player?

Yeah... just sayin'.