There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade down from 13 AND 17 & up with lower picks

Listening to Gil Brandt the other day, he made a statement something to the effect that, "This is a strange draft. There are very few Pro-Bowl players aside from the top of the draft, but a lot of really good players. Solid starters who can really help your team."

I totally agree with that statement. At #13 I do not see any sure fire, lead pipe locks to fix the 9ers problems. With all of the speculation that the 9ers have a shot at winning the NFC West, I still think they have a lot of holes that need to be filled. I think many fans have talked about this type of list:

In no specific order:
RT
LG
SS or FS
DB
NT
FB
Slot receiver
KR
PR

Because of the depth of this draft, I think a team like the NE Patriots are in a much better position than the 9ers. True, the 9ers have two higher picks, but I think I'd rather move down and have multiple lower 1sts and higher seconds.

Also, I wouldn't mind trading up from the lower rounds to have more 3rd, 4th rounds picks.

This draft has the potential to fill in a lot of the starting and depth needs to vault this team into a serious play-off/Super Bowl potential in the near future. Obviously, if one of those super-star players falls to #13, like Crabtree did last year, they'd be crazy to move down now. But I'd really hope they have several options coordinated to be ready on draft day.
[ Edited by Butter on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:29 AM ]
Absolutely -- if we can. Take Charles Brown at 13 or 17 and Nate Allen + John Jerry/Jon Asamoah + Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. OT, S, OG, CB and add a returner later. Gives us 3 or 4 players who will start sooner or later.
Two words: Trent Williams
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,144
If this logic is common amongst the rest of the NFL teams, it will be hard to get fair value for trade downs.

If we are willing to give up the ability to draft C.J. Spiller or Earl Thomas for later first and second round pick, then I think the idea is feasible. From a strategic standpoint, unless someone falls, I think our picks are some of the worst for a trade down.

Dan Williams, C.J. Spiller or Earl Thomas (maybe Morgan and Clausen, if available) could entice a team to move up.
Move KR/PR above nose tackle. We have a starting NT, but we don't even have a competent KR/PR.
Originally posted by GEEK:
If this logic is common amongst the rest of the NFL teams, it will be hard to get fair value for trade downs.

If we are willing to give up the ability to draft C.J. Spiller or Earl Thomas for later first and second round pick, then I think the idea is feasible. From a strategic standpoint, unless someone falls, I think our picks are some of the worst for a trade down.

Dan Williams, C.J. Spiller or Earl Thomas (maybe Morgan and Clausen, if available) could entice a team to move up.

I hear what you are saying. If the 9ers can do it, why doesn't everyone else?

That was kind of my point. They are kind of in a weird spot. There are some players that could drop to 13/17, but probably none that the 9ers really need/want.

Clausen, Bryant, etc might be players that teams might really want at the skill positions. Granted, there are several players who might fill a need for the 9ers, Dan Williams NT, and Earl Thomas FS, etc.

But I think the 9ers are going to get a better value if they can trade back if someone wants to jump up and get Clausen, Bryant, Spiller, etc.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Two words: Trent Williams

Are you saying that the Niners should trade up to get Williams? Cause if you are saying that they should wait to see if he falls to 13, that's why I said this in the OP:

Quote:
Obviously, if one of those super-star players falls to #13, like Crabtree did last year, they'd be crazy to move down now. But I'd really hope they have several options coordinated to be ready on draft day.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,339
Originally posted by Draftology:
Move KR/PR above nose tackle. We have a starting NT, but we don't even have a competent KR/PR.

In no specific order:
RT
LG
SS or FS
DB
NT
FB
Slot receiver
KR
PR
Hopefully Clausen, Morgan, and Bryant are all available at 13 so that there will be some trade up possibilities from other teams.

or we package our picks and move up and get one of the top3 OT.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Two words: Trent Williams

Are you saying that the Niners should trade up to get Williams? Cause if you are saying that they should wait to see if he falls to 13, that's why I said this in the OP:

Quote:
Obviously, if one of those super-star players falls to #13, like Crabtree did last year, they'd be crazy to move down now. But I'd really hope they have several options coordinated to be ready on draft day.

Im saying that if Trent Williams is picked before 13, then that team will have surely reached for a position that could be addressed later. I dont expect him to be picked. I expect him to be drafted at 13, a la Crabs last year. I dont know it, I just feel it.

He would fix our Oline as much as any one man can-he cant pick up Chilo's slack though, rookie or NOT
Originally posted by Butter:
Listening to Gil Brandt the other day, he made a statement something to the effect that, "This is a strange draft. There are very few Pro-Bowl players aside from the top of the draft, but a lot of really good players. Solid starters who can really help your team." I totally agree with that statement. At #13 I do not see any sure fire, lead pipe locks to fix the 9ers problems.

Because of the depth of this draft, I think a team like the NE Patriots are in a much better position than the 9ers. True, the 9ers have two higher picks, but I think I'd rather move down and have multiple lower 1sts and higher seconds.

Also, I wouldn't mind trading up from the lower rounds to have more 3rd, 4th rounds picks.

I agree that the real 'value' in this draft is the depth in the late first and early 2nd rounds. I really don't think that the players at 13/17 are much better than players late 1st. If they are offered a good deal, I would trade down.
there will be a pro bowl caliber corner or safety at 13... imo thats a huge need. We were 3rd in pass rush. But we can get way better with a better backfield. give manny, parys, and brooks 1-2 seconds more thats huge. and to not get a day 1 starter at rt, thats damn near suicide to playoffs
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by Draftology:
Move KR/PR above nose tackle. We have a starting NT, but we don't even have a competent KR/PR.

In no specific order:
RT
LG
SS or FS
DB
NT
FB
Slot receiver
KR
PR

biggest needs in order

rt
fs
cb
kr/pr
wr
olb

we need a tackle period. a db gives our pass rush a way better chance to reach the qb, there for push olb need down a litlle. and s**t we havnt had a decent returner for days. crabs is gonna be great. morgan hopefully soph. slump, cuz he showed me nada last season. roman didnt get 1 pick in what 3 years.... that was his main job. gholdson hits hard. could slide back to ss.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Two words: Trent Williams

Are you saying that the Niners should trade up to get Williams? Cause if you are saying that they should wait to see if he falls to 13, that's why I said this in the OP:

Quote:
Obviously, if one of those super-star players falls to #13, like Crabtree did last year, they'd be crazy to move down now. But I'd really hope they have several options coordinated to be ready on draft day.

Im saying that if Trent Williams is picked before 13, then that team will have surely reached for a position that could be addressed later. I dont expect him to be picked. I expect him to be drafted at 13, a la Crabs last year. I dont know it, I just feel it.

He would fix our Oline as much as any one man can-he cant pick up Chilo's slack though, rookie or NOT

I just have to disagree. Williams doesn't have the issues Crabtree had to fall down that far. I think if any of the top tackles fall it would be Bulaga. It would be a complete gift if he fell though, the draft is always unpredictable and I'm not saying I have a crystal ball, I just can't think of a realistic scenario where he does fall, unless the Seahawks or Chiefs trade down and no one else trades up to get him. That's why I'm really excited about this draft.