There are 172 users in the forums

Better pick at safety?

Better pick at safety?

Who do you think would be the better pick at safety to play opposite Goldson? I think we HAVE to take a safety somewhere in the first two rounds to replace Michael Lewis in this years draft, its just a matter of figuring out how high of a pick we want to invest in the position. What do you think? Who would make the best safety tandem with Goldson?

From what I've read there are question marks for each of these players. For Earl Thomas the question is if he is big enough to hold up in the NFL, and big enough to make those open field tackles against NFL runningbacks and big recievers.

For Rashad Jones the question for me is if he will be good enough in coverage. I could forsee him being decent in coverage, but not much better than a Michael Lewis type player who is good for a safety at coming up and stopping the run, but only average at best in coverage.

For Nate Allen the question for me is if he will be the ball hawk that we are looking for at FS. Will he be the playmaker that will turn our defense from a "bend but don't break" defense into a play making dominant defense?

What do you think???

[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Apr 11, 2010 at 07:36:58 ]
No insight or opinions as to why you voted for who you voted for??
I went with Earl Thomas, he is a ball hawking FS that has good instincts and will improve one of our weakest areas on defense. He doesn't need to have the size because we have Dashon Goldson to play in the box. Dashon also has pretty good hands so QB's will have to respect us.
Allen. The best cover safety in the draft. I see Thomas being moved to CB.
I wouldn't want to trade up for Allen or give up one of our mid first round picks and trade back for him. I'm not sold on Jones, so I've gotta go with Earl Thomas, only @ 17 though, and I think he'll be there.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Same. But if Allen is not available, I'd still take Jones over Thomas.
I'm in the minority but I'm pretty comfortable with our safety situation right now.

So I'm comfortable that I wouldn't consider drafting S in the first two rounds unless Eric Berry fell to #13 like the Crabtree situation last year.

I really like Reggie Smith and still think they're grooming him to replace Lewis. The problem is that Michael Lewis doesn't suck like Mark Roman so its pretty hard to unseat the veteran. His concussion history though worries me.

Plus, this safety class is pretty deep.

As far as the topic is concerned, I went with Nate Allen.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Morgan Burnett or Nate Allen in the 2nd. Shoot I bet one of them sneak into the ending of the 1st round. We actually couldn't go wrong with a deep Safety class this year, I think I'll be happy with pretty much any Safety we select.

Eric Berry
Morgan Burnett
Nate Allen
Earl Thomas
Reshad Jones
Chad Jones
Robert Johnson
Major Wright
Taylor Mays

And I also hope Reggie Smith gets more of a shot to play now that Mark Roman is gone.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Same. But if Allen is not available, I'd still take Jones over Thomas.

I voted for Thomas because of his ability to play CB. I still think there is a chance that Reggie Smith can become a starting safety, and if he does then Thomas can move to corner. But if he doesn't, or if he takes a season or two to do so, then Thomas can stay at safety.

By the way, how much better of a cover safety do you think Allen is compared to Thomas? And if he is better, why is he not seen as a high to mid-first round prospect like Thomas is?

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Morgan Burnett or Nate Allen in the 2nd. Shoot I bet one of them sneak into the ending of the 1st round. We actually couldn't go wrong with a deep Safety class this year, I think I'll be happy with pretty much any Safety we select.

Eric Berry
Morgan Burnett
Nate Allen
Earl Thomas
Reshad Jones
Chad Jones
Robert Johnson
Major Wright
Taylor Mays

And I also hope Reggie Smith gets more of a shot to play now that Mark Roman is gone.

+1

If we are lucky we will get a chance to trade down in the first and that latter second round pick would be a good time to pick up a safety. In terms of a value board, I wouldn't take any of these at #49. Too early:

Morgan Burnett
Nate Allen
Reshad Jones
Chad Jones
Robert Johnson
Major Wright
  • dman
  • Veteran
I would be very happy with drafting Nate Allen & his teammate Jerome Murphy in the 3rd round
Share 49ersWebzone