There are 43 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Haden, Pouncey and Others at the top of our draft

I agree, trade down IF you get a good offer. Players between #23-25 will likely be just as good as those at #13-17. Plus you can add extra #2 and get Best or Saffold, etc. (I think Saffold is safer OT pick than Davis)
Originally posted by maxsmart:
I agree, trade down IF you get a good offer. Players between #23-25 will likely be just as good as those at #13-17. Plus you can add extra #2 and get Best or Saffold, etc. (I think Saffold is safer OT pick than Davis)

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Pouncey pick would not make any sense, unless they were planning to move him to guard. But, then, they would have to grade him above Mike Iupati, who will probably be on the board at both 13 and 17. Pouncey will not be drafted before Iupati.

The bottom line is that the Niners like Heitmann at center, and they are developing Smith. Altering this combination would not be conducive to Smith's development at this point, which is the highest importance on offense.

So, I just don't see any way this scenario plays out.

Pouncey wouldn't make any sense--unless Solari sees something in Heitmann that he doesn't like. A certain inconsistency perhaps, the lack of a solid push on critical short downs maybe? (Don't get angry, I'm just rattling your cage.)

You make a sound point about leaving Heitmann at center for consistency. Consistency seems to be the theme this offseason.

At least one "expert" rates Pouncey ahead of Iupati--Mayock has had Pouncey ranked the number one interior lineman for weeks now.

Pouncey's not as heavy as Iupati, but he's just as strong, and a better athlete. I think Iupati will fall further than people think, and given his lack of footspeed, I'd be surprised if the Niners took him in the first.

Why would a "run first" team take a guard who has trouble getting to the second level on run plays?

I agree I would pick Pouncey over Iupati he seems more of an athlete and very versatile, and if heitmann gets injured then he can step in at center. Heitmann has always been inconsistent he's heading towards the end of his career anyway we need an upgrade.