There are 247 users in the forums

Haden, Pouncey and Others at the top of our draft

• bret
  • Veteran
I really get the feeling Okung, Bulaga and Williams will be gone when we pick. For me, Haden is the only exciting choice at 13. But I think he too will probably be gone. My hope is that Spiller is still around, not so we can draft him, but so that we can trade down with a club who fears the Seahawks or Giants will want him behind us.

For me, ideally, if the key tackles and Haden are gone, we would use 17 on Maurkice Pouncey and trade down 13 for a late first rounder, which we could use on Patrick Robinson. We could then aim for Ducasse or Veldeer in the second, and use the additional pick (I'm assuming a high second-rounder) on a returner/change of pace back like Best (if the pick is high enough) or McCluster (if it's not).

My thinking is this: Heitmann isn't getting any younger, and the line calls didn't seem to be working last year. So we draft the most bust-proof, intelligent player, who can also play guard (in case Baas is gone after next year). In any case, we get a great player. Then we pick up a great cover corner with the size the Niners covet, and speed to boot. We get a solid RIGHT tackle prospect, and we pick up someone to help our return game and change of pace in the running game. Later rounds can be used to address inside linebacker, kicker, safety, fullback, and maybe another returner and/or corner prospect.

Shoot me down!
If there is no one worth the 13th to us, a trade down could be feasible, sure. But I also think we could be the fearful team not wanting to risk a player we like being snatched if we trade down.

Goes both ways.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If there is no one worth the 13th to us, a trade down could be feasible, sure. But I also think we could be the fearful team not wanting to risk a player we like being snatched if we trade down.

Goes both ways.

You're right, of course! But I love Pouncey! And though I've seen him RATED as high as the 7th best player overall, I haven't seen him being drafted any higher than 18. Not one report has said anything to make me believe anything but that he is one of the safest picks in the draft, AND he plays two positions of need (albeit, not as great a need as corner or tackle). I'd rather get the best player available at a position of relative need than the 4th best player at a position of great need. If we get a couple of tackle prospects in he 2nd and, say, the 4th rounds who have potential but are "raw" or have "character issues" or whatever, you let them compete, and along the way you get better value and the roster gets stronger.

Of course, you might not agree with my assessment of Pouncey and Robinson. But that's simply my gut feeling about where value lies.
Bret, I agree. I think Pouncey is going to be a good one in this league. I would love for the 49ers to trade #13 if one of the top 4 OT are not on the board. If no trade partners, then just take Spiller. I would love Spiller, but the combination of Pouncey and Veldheer/Ducasse sounds really good too.
I wouldn't be mad at this if we could get our right tackle in the 2nd round. Say a John Jerry or Tony Washington.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I wouldn't be mad at this if we could get our right tackle in the 2nd round. Say a John Jerry or Tony Washington.

john jerry is more of a guard then a tackle i wouldnt mind taking a tackle in 2nd round but he needs to be a legit tackle none of this tweener stuff
we gotta use our 1st pick @ #13 to get the player we covet,[even trade around]..cause Tennesee at # 16 does not have a second rounder and will quite possibly be looking to trade down to get that pick back....IMO we are very vulnerable to have some team jump into that spot and grab one of our favorite players.....
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

That is funny as hell.

Originally posted by bret:
I really get the feeling Okung, Bulaga and Williams will be gone when we pick. For me, Haden is the only exciting choice at 13. But I think he too will probably be gone. My hope is that Spiller is still around, not so we can draft him, but so that we can trade down with a club who fears the Seahawks or Giants will want him behind us.

For me, ideally, if the key tackles and Haden are gone, we would use 17 on Maurkice Pouncey and trade down 13 for a late first rounder, which we could use on Patrick Robinson. We could then aim for Ducasse or Veldeer in the second, and use the additional pick (I'm assuming a high second-rounder) on a returner/change of pace back like Best (if the pick is high enough) or McCluster (if it's not).

My thinking is this: Heitmann isn't getting any younger, and the line calls didn't seem to be working last year. So we draft the most bust-proof, intelligent player, who can also play guard (in case Baas is gone after next year). In any case, we get a great player. Then we pick up a great cover corner with the size the Niners covet, and speed to boot. We get a solid RIGHT tackle prospect, and we pick up someone to help our return game and change of pace in the running game. Later rounds can be used to address inside linebacker, kicker, safety, fullback, and maybe another returner and/or corner prospect.

Shoot me down!

I agree that the top three OTs are going to be gone by #13 and that we should take Haden if he's there.

I also concur with your take on Pouncey and with the need to improve play at the Center position. Heitmann is inconsistent, at best.

If we trade back a little, I'd rather get Wilson than Robinson, but its the same idea.
The Pouncey pick would not make any sense, unless they were planning to move him to guard. But, then, they would have to grade him above Mike Iupati, who will probably be on the board at both 13 and 17. Pouncey will not be drafted before Iupati.

The bottom line is that the Niners like Heitmann at center, and they are developing Smith. Altering this combination would not be conducive to Smith's development at this point, which is the highest importance on offense.

So, I just don't see any way this scenario plays out.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM ]
I'm not sure how you would pass on Lupati to take Pouncey. Plus, they really need a tackle and the guys coming out in the second round seem more like developmental candidates.
  • rivercrew
  • Info N/A
If Haden is there at #13 (and I believe he will be), the 49ers take him. The Niners also really like Charles Brown and if Dez Bryant is still available at #17, the Patriots could be a trading partner to go down to #22 to take Brown. Brown will not get past the Packers at #23. Niners would pick up an additional 3rd round pick.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Pouncey pick would not make any sense, unless they were planning to move him to guard. But, then, they would have to grade him above Mike Iupati, who will probably be on the board at both 13 and 17. Pouncey will not be drafted before Iupati.

The bottom line is that the Niners like Heitmann at center, and they are developing Smith. Altering this combination would not be conducive to Smith's development at this point, which is the highest importance on offense.

So, I just don't see any way this scenario plays out.

Pouncey wouldn't make any sense--unless Solari sees something in Heitmann that he doesn't like. A certain inconsistency perhaps, the lack of a solid push on critical short downs maybe? (Don't get angry, I'm just rattling your cage.)

You make a sound point about leaving Heitmann at center for consistency. Consistency seems to be the theme this offseason.

At least one "expert" rates Pouncey ahead of Iupati--Mayock has had Pouncey ranked the number one interior lineman for weeks now.

Pouncey's not as heavy as Iupati, but he's just as strong, and a better athlete. I think Iupati will fall further than people think, and given his lack of footspeed, I'd be surprised if the Niners took him in the first.

Why would a "run first" team take a guard who has trouble getting to the second level on run plays?
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone