There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My Top 4 RT Prospects Round 2 and 3

Assuming there are 6 Offensive Tackles taken in the first round and those six players being Okung, Cambell, Balgua, T. Williams, Anthony Davis, and Charles Brown, here is a look of Right Tackles that would be available after the first round. I love the idea of having bookend tackles for 10 years, but with Okung, Balgua, and T.Williams likely gone by our 13th pick, I dont feel there is another tackle worthy of our 13th pick because if there is a run on tackles as expected,(maybe 4 if Cambell goes to Oakland) someone should drop to us, and maybe its someone unexpected like Crabtree last year. This will free up one of our first rounders to use on an impact defensive player. Also, there is a different value placed on the right tackle position and since Right Tackle is less valued in the Nfl, we should be able to find a quality offensive tackle in the 2nd. Here are my top 5 second or third round prospects.

1. Rodger Saffold, Indiana
Height: 6-5. Weight: 313.
Projected 40 Time: 5.13.
Combine 40 Time: 5.22.
Benchx225: 27. Arm: 33 5/8.
Projected Round (2010): 2-3.

2/28/10: Rodger Saffold displayed his athleticism at the Combine, running a 5.22 in the 40 and looking fluid in the drills. He definitely has left tackle potential in the NFL.

1/18/10: Finished his Indiana career with 41 starts. Was an All-Big Ten second-teamer. Started at left tackle for 3-and-a-half years.

2. Vladimir Ducasse, UMass
Height: 6-4. Weight: 332.
Projected 40 Time: 5.40.
Combine 40 Time: 5.21.
Benchx225: 29. Arm: 34 3/4.

1/17/10: Has played guard and right tackle at UMass, and had 24 career starts going into his senior year. Was voted as a Division 1-AA First-Team All-American. Received a Combine invite.

3. Jared Veldheer, Hillsdale
Height: 6-8. Weight: 312.
Projected 40 Time: 5.25.
Combine 40 Time: 5.09.
Benchx225: 32. Arm: 33.

2/28/10: As expected, Jared Veldheer showcased his athleticism to scouts at the Combine. Veldheer ran a 5.09 in the 40, and it seems like his only flaw is his arm length (33 inches). In a top-heavy, but thin tackle class, Veldheer could go in the second round.

2/26/10: Jared Veldheer is an athletic tackle who should perform well on Saturday. Unfortunately, Thursday wasn't so kind to him. Jared Veldheer weighed in at 6-8, 312, but with 33-inch arms. That arm length is ridiculously short for a man of Veldheer's size.

1/18/10: Jared Veldheer is a giant tackle with athleticism, who started all 46 games of his collegiate career. A Division II AP All-America first-teamer, Veldheer will attend the Combine, so the nation will get their first ever look at him in February.

4.Tony Washington, Abilene Christian
Height: 6-6. Weight: 311.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
Combine 40 Time: 5.19.
Benchx225: 33. Arm: 35 1/2.

3/10/10: Tony Washington has first-round talent, but he reportedly had consensual sex with his biological 15-year-old sister when he was 16. As Borat would say, "Let's make sexy time!" Washington's act was definitely sick, but remember that this occurred seven years ago. Washington was just a child back then. He's now 23 and hasn't gotten into trouble in a long time.

2/26/10: Tony Washington impressively weighed in at 6-6, 311, with 35.5-inch arms. Washington is an offensive tackle to keep your eye on during the Combine.
Projected Round (2010): 2-4.

[ Edited by NTeply49 on Apr 10, 2010 at 08:36:45 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Ducasse would be there at 49 for us.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I'm not good at that math stuff, but I only count 4 people...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:

You forgot Davis and Brown.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Very good post.

What about Kyle Calloway and maybe Newhouse?

I'm hoping Saffold drops to us in the 2nd round.
From the measurables, I would take Tony Washington at 6-6, 311, with 35.5-inch arms, and a top perform among tackles in: Bench press | Vertical jump | Broad jump | 3-cone drill.
Originally posted by 23zack80:

Was testing you. Forgot to change title lol
Originally posted by mebemused:
From the measurables, I would take Tony Washington at 6-6, 311, with 35.5-inch arms, and a top perform among tackles in: Bench press | Vertical jump | Broad jump | 3-cone drill.

I concur and I think the only reason why hes slipping is the off the field issues. Id like to see what Iron Mike could do with the kid
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by mebemused:

I concur and I think the only reason why hes slipping is the off the field issues. Id like to see what Iron Mike could do with the kid

Agree I would rather grab this guy in the 2nd round.
great post!

The more I think about our options with having #13, #17, and #49...the more I would like to pick two game changers in the 1st and our RT in the 2nd.

What about Jason Fox...I remember alot of talk about him prior to the combine, now nothing?

I like Saffold, Veldheer, and Tony Washington, in that order. I read that Ducasse is projected as a OG at the next level?

Another important point regarding waiting on an OT is that we need to add a starting quality OG in the draft too. I love Iupati, but if Spiller, Graham, Haden, or E. Thomas are available...we need to go that route before drafting Iupati.

Asamoah and Jerry would be good picks in the 3rd
Originally posted by irishluder:
great post!

The more I think about our options with having #13, #17, and #49...the more I would like to pick two game changers in the 1st and our RT in the 2nd.

What about Jason Fox...I remember alot of talk about him prior to the combine, now nothing?

I like Saffold, Veldheer, and Tony Washington, in that order. I read that Ducasse is projected as a OG at the next level?

Another important point regarding waiting on an OT is that we need to add a starting quality OG in the draft too. I love Iupati, but if Spiller, Graham, Haden, or E. Thomas are available...we need to go that route before drafting Iupati.

Asamoah and Jerry would be good picks in the 3rd

Id like to grab a couple play makers in the first, some impact players, and address the guard position in the 3-4th round. But, if Trent Williams is available at #13, you pick him because he is the perfect fit in our offense. My main ppoint in the topic was I hope we dont reach for an offensive tackle, and to put people at ease and show them that there will be talent available in the 2nd if the top tackles are gone.