There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TE/Fullback is a NEED

• Walsh
  • Veteran
I put this position as a top need right behind the O-line and Kick Returner. There are tons of reasons for using say a 3rd or even 2nd rounder on this position.

1. When you have one TE/FB that can both lead block and catch, defenses can't respond.
Right now, only VD can take advantage of 8 in the box because of his speed. Think about the advantages of having 2 TE's with that speed on our team that can actually catch the ball. Unfortunately, Walker just doesn't have great speed and he has drops.
We could get a burner as a slot receiver but then we're still stuck w/ Norris as a lead blocker.

2. This is real weakness on our offense. Shockingly, defenses don't game plan for Walker or Norris.
Moran Norris and Delaine Walker are pretty bad. When you see them play, do you feel confident that we'll get a first down or do you cringe and hope for the best? We get one guy that can fill 2 starting positions and do the job. Walker's job is to catch the ball and he's NOT that good at it. Same thing for Norris and blocking for Gore.

3. Gore needs some blocking to be successful.

A new OT will help Gore but having 2 rookies on the line may be a recipe for disaster. Using a FB or TE to make some holes for Gore is a great solution if we don't want to rebuild the whole line in one draft.

4. We're running a spread offense and we only have 2 legit targets.
Davis and Crabs are the only real offensive threats on our team. Morgan's solid but we could really use another home run threat. Our offense needs one more guy with great hands if we're serious about doing a spread offense.

Two guys I'd be excited to draft...

Pittsburgh TE Dorin Dickerson. In the combine, he ran a blazing 4.40 in the 40 yard dash, and leaped an amazing 43 inches in the vertical.

Toby Gerhart RB. a 231-pounder with 4.5 speed.Gerhart is a full-contact runner who had two 1,000-yard seasons with the Cardinal and had 11 100-yard-plus games in '09.

[ Edited by Walsh on Apr 10, 2010 at 01:42:28 ]
I think we need a fullback and would hope to see one taken around the fifth or sixth. No need to take one much earlier, and anyway there are plenty of other needs.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
If we're running a spread offense, we're not gonna use another TE/FB in the formation. Would make more sense if we added a speedy WR rather than a speedy TE/FB.
Originally posted by TJA85:
If we're running a spread offense, we're not gonna use another TE/FB in the formation. Would make more sense if we added a speedy WR rather than a speedy TE/FB.

To the contrary though, Jimmy Raye's version of the spread often equals 2-3 tight ends sometimes, and a split-end!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9fZQpuoJ_Q

I love the kid, but havent seen many high lights of him lead blocking from the fullback position. If he can play full back, tight end, and can assume a H-back role in our offense he could be a very dynamic weapon. With 4.4 speed he can even split out as a wide reciever, and would even be our change of pace back?? If we get Offensive Tackle and a DB in the first round like Earl Thomas, Joe Haden, or Eric Berry we can afford to use our 2nd rounder as a luxury pick on this kid. Otherwise, I don't see him making it into the 3d round after the performance he had at the combine. Al davis might draft him at 8 after he posted a 4.4 40 with a 43 inch vertical at 6'1 225 lbs. Would love this pick in the 3d - 4th round and wouldnt mind it in the 2nd.
I don't think I have ever seen a team with home run threats at every receiver position.

Take the Pats, they have Randy Moss as a homerun threat, and 5' 9" 185 lb Wes Welker as a possession receiver.

The old 49ers didn't have a homerun threat per sae. In the West Coast offense, neither Rice nor Taylor ran many fly patterns. Rice's 40 time was 4.58.

BTW, we signed a Fullback off the Tampa Bay practice squad, Jehuu Caulcrik, who is pretty fast for a 6' 250lb fullback.
I see your logic and I don't have a problem drafting Dorin Dickerson. He's an upgrade over Delaine Walker and Norris. I can see them using him mostly as a TE since we run 2 TE sets more then any other formation. The 49ers do have Jehuu Caulcrik and Brit Miller so he wouldn't have to play FB
Are there any teams in the NFL who have a FB who defenses "game plan" against?

I can't think of any.
If you are looking for a TE/FB, the Niners are not going to draft Toby Gerhart. Guys like Nate Byham TE Pitt, Colin Peek TE Alabama, or Rashawn Jackson FB Virginia are the ones who should be on the radar.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mebemused:
I don't think I have ever seen a team with home run threats at every receiver position.

Take the Pats, they have Randy Moss as a homerun threat, and 5' 9" 185 lb Wes Welker as a possession receiver.

The old 49ers didn't have a homerun threat per sae. In the West Coast offense, neither Rice nor Taylor ran many fly patterns. Rice's 40 time was 4.58.

BTW, we signed a Fullback off the Tampa Bay practice squad, Jehuu Caulcrik, who is pretty fast for a 6' 250lb fullback.

YAC was invented for Rice. I think you're crazy if you're saying Rice wasn't a homerun threat. I'm just saying that we need more talent at the receiver/TE position if we're trying to stretch the field. A Wes Welker style of player isn't going to help us much with the offense we're trying to run. You all ready have 8 in the box all the time. We need a mismatch not a possession receiver. Gotta disagree with you. A TE that can stretch the field and block for Gore would be ideal.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Are there any teams in the NFL who have a FB who defenses "game plan" against?

I can't think of any.

Weaver is the only fullback whose name I know
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
I believe Toby said he wants to be a HB in the NFL.

His brother plays for ASU, also a beast.

Played him in Bball but he sucks.
Originally posted by Walsh:
I put this position as a top need right behind the O-line and Kick Returner. There are tons of reasons for using say a 3rd or even 2nd rounder on this position.

1. When you have one TE/FB that can both lead block and catch, defenses can't respond.
Right now, only VD can take advantage of 8 in the box because of his speed. Think about the advantages of having 2 TE's with that speed on our team that can actually catch the ball. Unfortunately, Walker just doesn't have great speed and he has drops.
We could get a burner as a slot receiver but then we're still stuck w/ Norris as a lead blocker.

2. This is real weakness on our offense. Shockingly, defenses don't game plan for Walker or Norris.
Moran Norris and Delaine Walker are pretty bad. When you see them play, do you feel confident that we'll get a first down or do you cringe and hope for the best? We get one guy that can fill 2 starting positions and do the job. Walker's job is to catch the ball and he's NOT that good at it. Same thing for Norris and blocking for Gore.

3. Gore needs some blocking to be successful.

A new OT will help Gore but having 2 rookies on the line may be a recipe for disaster. Using a FB or TE to make some holes for Gore is a great solution if we don't want to rebuild the whole line in one draft.

4. We're running a spread offense and we only have 2 legit targets.
Davis and Crabs are the only real offensive threats on our team. Morgan's solid but we could really use another home run threat. Our offense needs one more guy with great hands if we're serious about doing a spread offense.

I couldn't agree less with all four of your points.
The only kind of "fullback types" I see us possibly drafting are an H-Back/Oversized wide receiver type.

Examples include: Jameson Konz (Kent St.) and Dorin Dickerson (Pitt).

I see Konz as possibility in the 5th or so.

Jameson is just freakish in size and athleticism, but never really saw the field until last season and did suffer a season-ending injury his junior year. He did not showcase incredible production by any means, so he could be nothing more than a workout warrior, but the workout he had is hard to ignore.

At his Pro-Day, this is how he weighed in and timed:

6'3 1/3" 234 lbs.
Vertical: 46
Broad Jump: 10'08"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone: 6.93

He clocked in the high 4.3s to the low 4.4s ...

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 10, 2010 at 13:41:27 ]
we need a TE who is an exclusive blocker and thats why i am kinda bugged by that bear pascoe pick last year that didnt work out. however we do no need another delanie walker type TE or a FB for that matter. moran norris isnt flashy but he blows up holes for frank gore as well as any FB in the league could do. during games last year where we had walker and davis both running patterns teams had a lot of trouble defending us, its up to the play caller to be creative enough, delanie walker got a contract extension and he is under used in my opinion